Fiat fire engine tuning possibilities

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Lowtechguy

Fiat fire engine tuning possibilities

Post by Lowtechguy »

I understand the need to remove companies names so I have done, however the work has been carried out by several companies with myself doing the fitting. If you want to know who, ask.

But, getting to the point without going forced what else is left to do?

My engine is as follows:

Punto 75 re-profiled camshaft with 290 degree duration on inlet and exhaust. With additional top hat shims to accomodate lift.
Ported and flowed head
Induction kit with 100mm BMC twin cone filter approx 1 meter long
Raised compression approx half a point to 10-1 (standard 9.6-1)
3 Angle Valve Cut
Flowed throttlebody (soon to be replaced with 40mm throttlebody (standard is 32mm) )
NGK iridium Spark plugs (6 heat range)
10mm Quad Core ignition leads
Supersprint exhaust manifold
Sports cat 200cell
Supersprint centre section box
Supersprint Backbox Twin exit
Mk1 oil filter (larger than mk2 version)
3.7kg Race Flywheel (6.4kg standard)
Ceramic Paddle Clutch with 40% uprated cover and stock release bearing for comfort.
6 speed gearbox
Remapped

I am put off the idea of throttlebodies as I know how hard the inlet manifold will be to get right (in order to use pulse charge inconjuction with cam and exhaust manifolds) and mainly I want to keep the stock ecu as I can have it remapped accordingly.
I know I can lighten and balance the block but is this necessary?
The other option I have is larger valves with lighter valve train but after reading a GC articule the valve train doesnt seem as exciting as it used to.

What other possibilities are there?

I am currently lightening the car.

The goal is 15second qtr mile time
Lowtechguy

Post by Lowtechguy »

Some pictures:

Flywheel and clutch

Removal of stock sound deadening

The cam being fitted
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

You have pretty well covered most things but I'd definitely get rid of the reprofiled cam and fit a billet one. I doubt that the cam you have is doing much other than adding a few bhp at the top end with rather poor mid range torque.

Personally I don't have a line up for those motors, but I'm an agent for Columbo & Bariani, who do - their cams are good. Kent and Piper probably have billets - check out their websites. I assume you have an adjustable cam pulley and all the gear to dial a cam in. (See GC V/W)

Ultimately how it behaves it will all be down to expert mapping, you should talk to Phil Lanes maybe, very good technical expert on this and friend of mine - maps@ggmotorsport.co.uk, operates a rolling road at Horncastle.

GC
Lowtechguy

Post by Lowtechguy »

Thanks again.

The camshaft in the engine is a fast road/torque cam not a peak power cam like the duration would suggest.

I am driving the car unmapped since the camshaft has been changed until the throttlebody is available (new mapping session booked on 04.02.07).

The C&B 280 was in a fellow club members engine with the same modifications apart from valve cuts while I had a stock cam still, he made 1bhp more than me 94.9bhp and 96.1bhp (I cannot remember the torque figure) and since fitting the re-profile the car has transformed for the better, I simply cannot wait for the next mapping session (the stock power is 60bhp plus good wearing in max 64bhp stock)

The cam is on the stock pulley, I did get an avanti (aka red mist racing)one but this was for the old version engine without a cam pickup sensor. There isnt one available on the market yet although I have emailed Kent Cams (not too far away) to see what they say. Your right it is something I need to do sooner rather than later.

The problem with the mapping is that no software I have come across will do the job, Track and Road who are not far away from me don't have the software, millienium doesn't work, it seems only Dimsport software will do the job, I have found a couple of companies with this software but the best it seems is a company called ChippedUK, Jayson the owner said he was ex-bmw and has a good rep with bmw drivers (I have a E30) however I have been unable to use anyone else because of this software issue.

My car has bodycomputers to control the electronic steering rack (to get heavier at speed etc) so that means only a piggyback is really advised, however with this ecu a dastek was used on a fellow club members car and somehow the ecu knew and ignored it (the rolling road a month later had the same figure as without the piggyback).

The ecu type is IAW 59F.M3 I have been told it is a hybrid of Marelli and Hitachi hence millienium have been unable to crack (this was from the uk importer) and it has 128 Grids (to my understanding most ecus have 8 grids). I have emailed your suggested supplier to see if he can help as an alternative is always good to check out.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I'll come back to you later when I get more time but it's inconceivable (in my expert opinion) that a C&B could have weaker characteristics than a reprofiled or standard 8V cam.
There must have been other tuning issues that affected the relative result.

GC
Lowtechguy

Post by Lowtechguy »

I am sorry I didn't mean to inadvertantly claim C&B have weaker cams than anything, just that I am happy with the cam I have and perhaps after the next mapping session (dependant on result) I may review that part, at the moment I want to see what it can do first.
Lowtechguy

Post by Lowtechguy »

and of course see if there are other things I can do to help before the next mapping session...
Acki

Post by Acki »

The 6speed gearbox is the same like the 5gear gearbox?!
Only the frist gear is shorter, second is the first of the 5gear gearbox etc.

Why you used a Puntp 75 camshaft? ;)
In germany some guys pay much money for this camshaft ;)
They also use the 75bhp throttle body.
Lowtechguy

Post by Lowtechguy »

Acki wrote:The 6speed gearbox is the same like the 5gear gearbox?!
Only the frist gear is shorter, second is the first of the 5gear gearbox etc.

Why you used a Puntp 75 camshaft? ;)
In germany some guys pay much money for this camshaft ;)
They also use the 75bhp throttle body.
The 75 cam has 0.9mm more lift than the cam my engine cam with.
the 38mm throttlebody the 75 engine is not compatible with the latest version of punto the wiring is all different for TPS, ICV etc.

The 6th gear does seem to be longer by at least 500rpm than the 5 speed box I used to have, there are two types, the mk1 available with the 55 punto which is proberbly what you describe and the mk2 version with the sporting which is what I have.