Choosing cams 16vt

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Taouxis

Choosing cams 16vt

Post by Taouxis »

Now I know custom parts for a specific setup will work best but sometimes money is a little tight. I'm looking at improving peek power as much as possible for drag strip but I do want to be able to drive there. I have custom inlet with 75mmtb , a well ported and flowed head and custom tubular manifold. My goal eventually would be around 700bhp with a gtx3572 or gtx3582 but I am currently running a presicion 5557. Would any off the shelf cams be up to the job? Iv been offerd a set of columbo cams at a bargain price but here are specs

Cam lift
Inlet cam lift: 10.9 mm - Exhaust 8.8 mm

Duration
276° / 250°

Timing
Inlet 30° - 66° / Exhaust 50° - 20°

Valve lift Top Dead Centre (TDC)
Inlet cam 2.1 / Exhaust cam 1.5

Clearance
0.35 / 0.40
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Choosing cams 16vt

Post by Guy Croft »

I have read your data. If the C&B cams are actually for a turbo application just buy them.

Nothing wrong with C&B cams.

G
Guy Croft, owner
Taouxis

Post by Taouxis »

Ok guy I remember you saying c&b were good but I just thought the lift was on the very mild side but I am no cam expert, in fact the more I try to understand cams the more it confuses me. The specs I posted are for the stage 3 ( racing profile) but with lower lift than say cat cams I assumed the c&b cams were maybe more designed around a standard head.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

The selection of turbo cams is hyper-critical as is the header design. I mean - absolutely 110% critical. That said the key is getting an ex cam with the right characteristics.

Get onto C&B website to check what they have for your actual motor.

I urge you to buy my new book (£110 + mailing and - seriously - only 9 or 10 left now) and study it carefully. The issues involved are far too complicated and lengthy to go into here.

G
Guy Croft, owner
Taouxis

Post by Taouxis »

Thanks for your time guy. Can you post a link to your book I will get it as a Christmas gift.
I maybe didn't explain very well about the cams. They are the c&b race min profile for Lancia delta 16vt

Her is the link.

http://www.cb-cams.com/dettaglio_prodot ... rodotto=77
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I think Alexis Grant (member here) has C&B cams in his successful 400+ bhp 16v Coupe...

Mr Bariani knows what he is doing. One nice thing about them is they are relatively easy to fit & shim, they are also very durable (like: everlasting..!)

Book see:

http://guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=15 ... 151#p19151

It's been out some two years, review etc were taken down ages ago.

G
Guy Croft, owner
Taouxis

Post by Taouxis »

Thanks for your time Guy. Il give them a go and il have a look at that book. Mike
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

The wonders of digital cameras..!

Here are the C&B cams used in Alexis' car..

With the cylinder and boost pressure you intend - GC springs are a 'must-have' BTW...

G
Attachments
AG 16v C& Cams closeup.jpg
AG 16v C& Cams closeup.jpg (117.15 KiB) Viewed 8999 times
Al 16v head final assy 021 ready to fit inlet view.jpg
Al 16v head final assy 021 ready to fit inlet view.jpg (109.99 KiB) Viewed 8999 times
Guy Croft, owner