bleeding clutch with pressure bleeder

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
cantfindausername

bleeding clutch with pressure bleeder

Post by cantfindausername »

I'm still having serious trouble getting any kind of operation from my Tilton clutch. We've put so much fluid through the system its silly!

I'm using a pressure bleeder, and want to know what I shuld expect to see. At the moment we're running aprx 15psi through it and only seeing a trickle of fluid out of the bleed pipe.

Is this right? Will the pressure lose force as it travels the distance of the car? Or should I expect to see a good strong flow out of it?

If anyones got any advice on what else I can try, I would love to hear it!!

Thanks,
Ant (stressed)
Rich Ellingham

Post by Rich Ellingham »

Not sure I can help just give you my experience, using 10psi, mine bled through very easily with a decent flow of fluid. There's no line lock,or one way valve anywhere is there? Is this the same fuild as the brakes - is there and air leak in the braking circuit? Is there a kink in any hose, I dont know the release mechanism but can you see this, does it move with the pedal, could there be debris in the system?
rich
book 38
cantfindausername

I've been told there is a check valve and that this can normally cause a problem. However, this one person is the first out of many that has ever mentioned it. There isn't even a mention of it in the manual!

So I'm going to look at that today.

Also we've had the bleed nipple on the line coming out the top of the engine, so i'm going to try and re route this so its lower than the rest of the system, and see if I can get gravity on my side, hopefully this will solve the flow problems.

As for seeing the release bearing... its hidden in the deepest darkest depths of the the bell housing. I did install a perspex plate where the release fork boot used to go, so if I can, I will have a nose through there when someone presses the pedal.

There are no kinks in the line, its all either hard pipe, or braided line. There is about 10" of flexi, but this is not kinked. And I'm confident that there is no leak as we are seeing improvements. If there was a leak, my understanding is that it would stay poor in terms of feel rather than improving. - ok its still not working, but its getting there I'm sure.

We managed to get a bit more feel to it yesterday, so with a bit more luck, we should see it working soon.

Thanks for the reply,
Ant
cantfindausername

Here is a video that I just did of the release bearing. So we know its moving.

I've emailed tiltons managing engineer to ask his opinion on wether or not its moving far enough etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw0IHkt84CA - thats the video
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Ant, I wouldn't waste any time on that, it will not be a bleeding problem by now. Lock up the bleed and try the pedal, if it doesn't actuate the slave cylinder the master cylinder is not primed properly or it's defective.

GC
cantfindausername

Guy, the slave cylinder has been removed in favor of this hydraulic release bearing.

The video shows that the release bearing is moving, but we don't know if its moving enough to have an effect on the clutch.

I'm currently working on adjusting the clutch pedal push rod to give more stroke within the master cylinder.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Ant,

member Huw Davies is using a Tilton, he's a really helpful guy, might be able to advise:

hdavies@businesssolve.co.uk

His setup is on view at

http://www.racingaspirations.com/galler ... ketgearbox

GC
cantfindausername

ahh, thanks guy, I'll give that a look now.

We checked the master cylinder at the weekend, and thats all good. So looks like we're going to have to drop the gearbox off again. Not that happy about that, but something that has to be done I guess.

Ant