Curved Ram pipe

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Christopher_205Rallye

Curved Ram pipe

Post by Christopher_205Rallye »

Hi Guy,

I would be interesed in your opinion on curved style ram pipes.

There has been discussions on the peugeot forums as to whether these are beneficial or not. I have seen 90 degree curved trumpets on old alfas and this picture is from a TU5J4 (peugeot 106 Gti) where it is more extreme. Most people say these are no good.

I am of course not talking specifically about these pictured pipes but on their type in general.

Now working on the principe that air flow does not like curvature can a setup like this be beneficial?

So in the picture above a curved ram pipe would be perhaps 100% longer then a straight one in the same application.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

hullo Chris

a curve nearly always generates an airflow loss to some degree so it would never be beneficial per-se, but it can be a way of generating a required length (to capture pressure wave effects) within a confined space.

I'd have to test one of those types to be more specific.

GC

BTW any news on cams for your Rallye head? I will have finished the flow work next week.
Os7213

Post by Os7213 »

Hi guys
Im not sure of this but I think you better go with direct entry who following your intake ports. With this kind of curve ramp the air have 2 curves to pass, the curve of the pipe and the port to the valve who is normally curved so I think its better to have only one, the one you can't change, the port curve.

Ugo