Fiat Strada 130TC combustion chamber modification

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
mitch strada

Fiat Strada 130TC combustion chamber modification

Post by mitch strada »

Hi

Can you tell me what you think of this deshrouding job?

I recently found this cylinder head in the boot of a Strada I bought and am unsure about the quality / technical accuracy of the work that's been done on it?

thank you
Attachments
130TC combustion chamber (resized by GC).jpg
130TC combustion chamber (resized by GC).jpg (31.57 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Mitch,

first you need to take care with your photo size, try to keep well under 400KB as a general rule, that size maybe for a car, but much smaller for parts like this (see my crop & resize) here. A 1.5Mb or thereabouts - as it was - will take ages to upload and be unviewable even on my huge screen (except perhaps for those lucky enough to have broadband, which I do not).

I cannot tell you much about the functionality of the head without physically seeing it - you know that! And maybe trying it out on the flowbench. Sure it's shiny, but that means nothing. A head will carbon up whatever you do to it and smoothing with 80 grit is perfectly adequate as a means to help even burn.
But- I'm not saying there is burn problem though, don't misread me, but that might be a modest justification for spending hours on it compared with the as-cast finish. As for deshrouding, well the 130TC head with its production valves is not shrouded at all; not that I can see much deshrouding in evidence here.

As I said I have no idea how it will be behave; that is down to valve and seat work, read the ongoing articles in GC V/W. If this was executed commercially, unless the firm who did it was a registered charity, all that polishing would have to be accounted for in ‚£ man hours and would, in effect - if charged for - be a complete 'con'. Maybe the seller did it just to make it pretty, he certainly succeeded.

GC
mitch strada

Strada head

Post by mitch strada »

Thanks for your reply, i know its near on impossible for you to comment on this without seeing it.

Will keep you posted as i progress.

thank you