recommended oil brand-viscosity?

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
romilos

recommended oil brand-viscosity?

Post by romilos »

I would like to see (I'm doing a search, after my engine rebuild, to choose an oil after my 2000km) which brand, which viscosity, at which car, how much consumption/5000km

My car is a Peugeot 1.3 Rallye and before the rebuild I usually used Castrol RS 10/60 and then Mobil 1 15/50.

There is a trend (with group IV/V oils) to use thinner oils (like 5-30, 0-40 etc) not only in road use but also in NASCAR and generally, racing use (not drag-racing, because there, their runs are too short)
I want to choose an oil that could last 6000km (non racing use, only street), with normal consumption (not over 1lt/6000km) (my average rpm are relatively high and rev limiter 8000)

I think a form like that would be an easy looking form

peugeot 1.3 rallye
mobil 1
15/50
1lt/6000km

I would appreciate any help!
Last edited by romilos on October 25th, 2006, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hi Romilos,

I'm going to give you two race engine builder's 'Golden Rules'

1. If you find an oil that works well and keeps the engine in one-piece don't change.

2. Use 50 upper temp viscosity oil or higher viscosity (55, 60) semi or full synthetic on a competition engine and don't be tempted to use thinner oils of 40 grade because you have been referred - or tempted by someone else.

Mostly I just recommend 'Selenia Racing' because if my Selenia lubricated 200bhp 2 liter 8V Fiat running 9500 rpm doesn't break in two years of short-oval 2 gear racing in National Hot Rod (NHRA) it is probably about as good an oil as money can buy. When people say 'it's expensive..' I just go deaf in both ears, sorry guys..

GC
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

For a road car, any oil that is 10/40 or higher that meets SL specifications, will be fine. Motul has a very good reputation as does Castrol, so stick with those. A 15/40 or with your high revs, a 15/50 is perhaps recommended.

Andy.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Me, I don't have any strong views on oils for road cars. Unless they are tuned ie: 'fast road' in which case the should be treated as competition engines, because the loads and stresses are so much higher.

For a production standard engine the manufacturer's recommendation will always be OK, read it.

GC
romilos

Post by romilos »

Guy Croft wrote:
1. If you find an oil that works well and keeps the engine in one-piece don't change.

GC
Hi Guy,

What are the critical subjects to say that "an oil works well"
Is it consumption?
Is it temps?
Is it mileage?

I m from a recent rebuild (i have done only 630km) and how can i decide which oil to choose?
My tolerances are different now...
I ve noticed before that same viscosity of different brands have different attitude.(espessially at consumption)

So now, that my engine is with less tolerances, how can i decide "a starting point" for my oils??

For the break in, i m using ford oils, 15/40
Me, I don't have any strong views on oils for road cars. Unless they are tuned ie: 'fast road' in which case the should be treated as competition engines, because the loads and stresses are so much higher.
Guy, my engine is not oem, it is like a group N (more cr, group N cam, higher rev limiter, intake-exhaust), so i should not follow the manual?
I should go to thicker oil?
romilos

Post by romilos »

Guy, i have one query...

The "side" of the thin oils (5/30, 5/40 etc) 90% have used at the past thicker oils (i believe that so thin oils are not very old)
For some reasons they stuck at these viscocities...

You, the "thicker side" , have you ever used thinner oils to see how they react?

You would say that you stay at your 1st "golden rule".
You are not curious why they prefer so thin oils??
I dont believe they want to spend money..
Exept if they only care about hp and nothing else.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Romilos hi

I apologise for this but I do not want to discuss oil in any more detail.
I simply do not have the time to do everything.

My advice is follow the advice I have proffered so far, small as it is it will not let you down.

GC
Christopher_205Rallye

Post by Christopher_205Rallye »

I know you are talking about a Peugeot 106 1,3 Rallye here not a 205 1,3 Rallye.

Since these are very similar TU engines with similar CR and rpm rates I list the standard figures given by Autodata for the 205 1,3 Rallye

Moderate Climate
SAE 15W/40
API/ACEA SJA2-96

Moderate Climate Alternative
SAE 10W/40 semi synthetic
API/ACEA SJ/A3-96

Hot Climate
SAE 20W/50
romilos

Post by romilos »

Ok Guy, i m also at the "thicker side".
I ll use more than 40 oil.

But if anyone can discuss that subject (my query) it would be fine.
romilos

Post by romilos »

Christopher wrote:I know you are talking about a Peugeot 106 1,3 Rallye here not a 205 1,3 Rallye.

Since these are very similar TU engines with similar CR and rpm rates I list the standard figures given by Autodata for the 205 1,3 Rallye

Moderate Climate
SAE 15W/40
API/ACEA SJA2-96

Moderate Climate Alternative
SAE 10W/40 semi synthetic
API/ACEA SJ/A3-96

Hot Climate
SAE 20W/50
That s very good Christopher

Yes the cars are very similar!

So for me a good choise would be a 10/40, because there are hotter places than Greece!

Christopher what oil do you use?

John
Last edited by romilos on October 25th, 2006, 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SteveNZ

Post by SteveNZ »

I use Elf Synthese (100% synthetic) in my cars
Uno turbo road car 5w/40
Fiat 2L 8V turbo race car 5w/50
Christopher_205Rallye

Post by Christopher_205Rallye »

That s very good Christopher

Yes the cars are very similar!

So for me a good choise would be a 10/40, because there are hotter places than Greece!

Christopher what oil do you use?

John
John,

Bearing in mind this is a road car, but I have an oil cooler.
I use a 10W/40 semi synthetic in my 205 Rallye. I must admit I'm guilty of choosing the brand that is on special offer. Usually one from Esso or Mobil. But I change every 5000km or so and use a valeo filter. I have always been happy and never changed the grade.

If I cast back my mind to the time when I use to drive an XU engined 1.9 Gti and changed form 10W/40 to 5W/40, it leaked all round the sump gasket.
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

Remember tolerences in an engine. Oil when it gets hot, goes thinner, and thin oil under pressure can cause "SHEAR WEAR". Thicker the oil, the less chance this will happen. Thats one reason i will not use oils below 10/40 unless recommended by the Car Maker [for example, Zetec engines uses 10/30].

Andy.
romilos

Post by romilos »

You mean the cooler that is behind the oil filter?(i have one like that)
I use purflux oil filter usually, or bosch (does anyone know if there is any difference??)

Christopher, how much cunsumption do you have until the change?
You sellect semi-synth only for the price?
If I cast back my mind to the time when I use to drive an XU engined 1.9 Gti and changed form 10W/40 to 5W/40, it leaked all round the sump gasket.
You had more consumption with the 5W/40?
romilos

Post by romilos »

Has anyone used brands like Amsoil, Royal purple and Red line?