Milling device for channel porting

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Ilkka

Milling device for channel porting

Post by Ilkka »

Ive been thinking what kind of milling devices could be used in order to port channel with less possibility for human mistake which is always present when things are done by handcraft.

Here is cross section of Lada manifold i took in the summer in order to study channel shape and estimate would it be possible to have machined with device i describe bit below:

And here is general idea of the device that i thought might be able to do the job:

Basically the milling tool would have built in turbine which gets its power from oil flow which is made by hydraulic pump to channel.

Obiously there would be quite many techincal details that needed research before this kind of machine would work properly; bearing of the tool, guide rail vibration, tool geometry.. just to name a few.

But why im intrested in daydreaming from such inpractical device that could be used in only for round channels is that i can see the perfect geometry and symmetry of channels which this kind of device might be able to do (assuming it would work). Instead of porting channels with shaking hands the machinist would make the guide rail which could be shaped with right precision and then he would use it to manifold with the milling machine.

Am i re-inveting the wheel again or are there some other kind of automaticed mills that do the same thing better?

Just shared some far off thoughts. Perhaps someone have other ideas of the same subject?
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Well, I think it's an exciting and innovative idea.

Now, get on and make one!

GC