Lancia Delta HPE 16v Turbo oil loss through breather

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
nabilhpe

Lancia Delta HPE 16v Turbo oil loss through breather

Post by nabilhpe »

Hello guys;

My Delta HF HPE 2.0 16v turbo is spitting oil out of the cylinder head cover breather, the place where you have a pipe that goes into the oil canister and to the air filter pipe, I realised that my car is smoking white smoke big time, so after checking I found that the source is the head cover, so I disconnected the pipe that goes from the canister to the air filter line and the smoke stopped, but the oil was all over the air filter box now.
Why would an engine spit oil from the breather, engine is newly built and everything was changed in the block, pistons, rings, journals etc....
is it possible that something is making pressure accumulate inside the head? or there is something wrong with the head cover?

Kind regards
Nabil
Last edited by nabilhpe on September 2nd, 2006, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Nabil,

That is probably blow-gas by from the piston rings not bedding - causing pressure in the crankcase - unless you did not connect the breather pipe with its rubber seal correctly in the block.

GC
Last edited by Guy Croft on September 2nd, 2006, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nabilhpe

Post by nabilhpe »

Thank you Guy for the reply, but if the crankcase was accumulating pressure, won't that cause the oil stick to come out of its place?
is there any solution other than having to take everything apart once more, and changing the rings?

Regards
Nabil
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

The dipstick comes out last of all...

The only other thing I can think of is worn turbo seals pressurising the crankcase, although damaged bearings can cause extreme pressurising too, when they overheat.

GC
nabilhpe

Post by nabilhpe »

Good morning;

I just would like to thank you Guy for your help and support.
I found that the metal tube "crank case breather tube" that pass under the turbo exhaust manifold to be totally CLOGGED, so I cleaned it and supposedly everything is ok now.

kind regards
Nabil
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Well done, I did not think that might be the cause!

Thanks for reporting a good result,

GC