Limited Slip Differential to Uno Turbo 1,3

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Zibi122

Limited Slip Differential to Uno Turbo 1,3

Post by Zibi122 »

Hi.

Can You tell me if LSD from some other gearbox will fitt to my gearbox?

I know that Fita Coupe with 20VT engine have LSD.

Can it fitt to my gearbox?

Thanks
Last edited by Zibi122 on August 18th, 2006, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julian

Post by Julian »

Fiat coupe uses a viscous coupling - not a LSD. On the surface this sort of blows that argument up but I've heard a rumour (nothing more) that the viscous coupling bolts quite nicely onto the 1.3 UT gearbox.

The alternative is to get in touch with the likes of Colotti in Italy and buy one of their LSDs (they do two types) - not cheap but very effective. I've heard of one application using a Honda LSD straight out of an Integra Type-R but I suspect that requires a fair bit of surgery and those LSDs have a mixed reputation.
Zibi122

Post by Zibi122 »

I'll have to find gearbox from coupe and try to make it work.

Thanks
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Using the 'search' facility with the word LSD would lead you to this member and his expertise:

http://guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?t=68

Give him a try, anyone knows more about LS units than I do!

GC
Rich Ellingham

Post by Rich Ellingham »

Bacci romano make one see here;

http://www.bacciromano.com/files/listino2006enweb.pdf

Regrds

Rich
book 38
Acki

Post by Acki »

When you have time you can change the gearbox that the lsd of the coupe fits but I think you have to change many.
In the uno und can use lsd's from the tipo because the turbo have a in germany so called "tipo gearbox".
Look at colloti's page, the have the same number in the catalog (uno turbo and tipo 16v lsd).
lidox19

Post by lidox19 »

Try this link

http://www.gearboxman.co.uk/psdiffsgripper.html

Hope this helps

Andy
1978 Lancia Beta Saloon 1600
1979 Fiat X1/9 Lido.1603cc 5 speed twin DCNF's
Zibi122

Post by Zibi122 »

What You think about this??

Julian

Post by Julian »

An admirably simple solution!

Out of curiosity what are the wear rates like on it and how have you gone about the process of calibrating the setup?
Zibi122

Post by Zibi122 »

This fotos shows how to do it in Toyota Supra N/A not Uno Turbo

I don't know how to setup it? I even don't undertod how it works
Julian

Post by Julian »

It works by applying a gentle grip to the bevel gears if they are both rotating at the same speed then there should be no friction as they are as good as locked anyway. If one spins faster than the other the blocks provide a braking force through friction and hence try to decelerate the faster shaft and accelerate the slower shaft.

The calibration would (from a quick look) be down to the strength of the springs and in turn how hard they are pressing against the ends of the shafts/gears.

Wear occurs between the moving parts though so you faced with the situation that the gap between the blocks will grow over time and hence the grip weakened. More importantly there will be an accumulation of debris in the gearbox which will need cleaning out. I imagine this setup would be used in grassroots racing where the actual mileage is low as the maintenance could get to be very cumbursome. The other worry is that it would actually damage the gears and shafts over time. At some point it becomes cheaper to just buy a more complex solution that transfers the friction to a more favourable location. To give an example one of the two solutions offered by Colotti utilises copper plates to provide friction. The plates do wear down but the wear is controlled and the softer copper debris is much less damaging to other gearbox components. You still need to maintain a more vigilant gearbox service schedule but that is just part of racing anyway...
SteveNZ

Post by SteveNZ »

This is a Phantom grip LSD. Its been kicking around for ages. There are so many mixed reviews.
Zibi122

Post by Zibi122 »

I use my car for every day driving and some times to race 1/4 mile.
I have made some modifications and if everythink will be oki i'll have about 160 HP or more.
If this Phantom GRIP will be destroing my gear box i dont wont it but if my gear box will live for about 50 000 km i do it.
Uros Piperski

Post by Uros Piperski »

I think the guy who made this phantom grip LSD missed the point. According to the Phantom grip manual, you should have 0.127-0.254mm clearance betveen the lsd and the spider gears.
That way the phantom grip lsd pushes the spider gears and locks the diff when the speed difference between the axles is high enough.

The clearance on the photos is 5mm or so... :?: :?: :?:
Acki

Post by Acki »

I don't understand this system?! Do you have a 100% slip? Or what is this?!