My Lancia Delta Integrale 8V restoration project

Post pics of your car in here
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: My Lancia Delta Integrale 8V restoration project

Post by Guy Croft »

Well done, that is exactly what you should do!

GC
samo

Post by samo »

Thank you!

As far as I can tell I have loads of clearance. If I remember correctly 1.5 mm is enough and I have twice that.

I am now also trying to calculate the static CR. I belive I have all the data needed:

Stroke 90,00 mm
Bore dia 84,40 mm
Volume Vs one cyl 503,52 cc
Engine cubic cap 2014,08 cc

head vol (buretted) 51,50
gasket dia 85,00
gasket thk compressed 1,90
gasket vol 10,78 cc

piston dome (piston manufacturer data) -17,45 cc
compr ht piston 39,65 mm

I am not really sure if my calculations are correct but if they are the static CR dropped to 7,4 : 1 as a result of my head modifications and maybe the piston dome is larger on these pistons (don't have the OE data). Are my calculations OK? Is the CR gonna be too low?
Limited edition #317
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I don't know where the piston crown stands in relation to the block deck (face) so I can't check your figures.

Have a go with this, enter the required dimesions on the rows marked 'X'

The CR has to be entered manually by you and altered till it gives the 17.45cc bowl volume shown at the end of the calcs. May seem a bit of a 'back to front' way of doing it but it works.

If it does come out at 7.4/1 that is great because I would build to something between 7.5 and 7.2 depending on boost. CR has little influence on output when on boost but is a major factor in preventing detonation.

(A number of rather silly people like to build in a high CR which is highly risky on a turbocharged engine. Or recommend the practice to others like they knew anything about it at all. If you want fabulous off-boost performance get a normally aspirated engine.)

G
Attachments
Samo_Int 8v.xls
CR calculator
(19.5 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
samo

Post by samo »

I tried to measure the piston to block deck clearance and if I measured correctly it's about -0,55mm (piston protruding outside the block deck).

So doing the excel calcualtion I reckon I will have a static CR ratio of 7,5.

In any case it will not be a high CR because the OE CR is 8,0 and all that I have done to alter it was to change the pistons to a sort that has slightly bigger bowl and I increased the head CCs. So it definitly didn't go up.

I started assembling the head only yesterday because the cam boxes were too un-sightly for a clean engine bay so I sandblasted them and had them re-eloxated. Sadly nobody can reproduce the factory look so they came out quite dark. But at least they are in one colour not like before when thy looked like they had a camouflage pattern on them.

First I trial shimmed, measured the clearance, calculated the correct shimm thicknes, changed the shimms and measured again. I got 4 clearances right and have to adjust the other 4 again. Lack of experience I guess...
Attachments
cam boxes and covers
cam boxes and covers
04042011554 (Medium).jpg (58.69 KiB) Viewed 8252 times
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

I finished the shiming today. All clearances set to OE specs.

Intake 0,35mm
Exhaust 0,4mm

I did ran into a small problem. I can't find the gasket locating dowels. Will this be a problem if I don't fit them?

After all the gasket is beeing held secure by 10 bolts.
Attachments
Finally shimmed up...
Finally shimmed up...
07042011557 (Medium).jpg (86.75 KiB) Viewed 8235 times
Limited edition #317
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

I think the dowels hold the head in place as well and prevent it from shifting sideways. I'd get some new ones, they're not that expensive and a good universal car parts store should have them on stock.
Book #348
samo

Post by samo »

WhizzMan wrote:I think the dowels hold the head in place as well and prevent it from shifting sideways. I'd get some new ones, they're not that expensive and a good universal car parts store should have them on stock.

I called the national Fiat parts supplier today and they told me I had to buy a packet of 10 because they have to order them from Italy. Price is around 15€ for all 10 but I have to wait a hole week for them to arrive. Trying to find some used ones otherwise I'll just have to wait I guess.

I think they only hold the gasket during assembly after all when it's fully assembled 10 bolts 10mm hold it much more than the 2 dowels.
Limited edition #317
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

The bolts hold it down alright, but they will allow a little sideways shift. You really wouldn't want your head to start migrating sideways and break the seal between the gasket and the head/block. Valve control (cams, rockers, pushrods) will put sideways forces on your head that will make it want to move, eventually.
Book #348
samo

Post by samo »

Maybe... not sure. The dowels make the instalation a lot more simple and secure. No chance of fouling the gasket. I wouldn't risk a built witouth them but I have seen engines with missing dowels runing witouth problems.

Bolted the head to the block today. Hope I don't bore you to death with the pics.
Attachments
I managed to get some second hand gasket dowels.
I managed to get some second hand gasket dowels.
09042011561 (Medium).jpg (52.39 KiB) Viewed 8278 times
My Spesso head gasket.
My Spesso head gasket.
09042011563 (Medium).jpg (68.03 KiB) Viewed 8278 times
Looks like an engine!
Looks like an engine!
09042011565 (Medium).jpg (82.37 KiB) Viewed 8278 times
And the other side.
And the other side.
09042011567 (Medium).jpg (71.21 KiB) Viewed 8278 times
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

It took me a complete afternoons work to install the cambelt with all the asociated belt covers.
I have to say the Italian engineer who designed the covers must have forgoten to take his pills the day he designed this odd things.

The aux. driveshafts belt is just test fited.

I also tried marking the true TDC and it is completly spot on with the mark of the crank pully.

And I used a blue pen to mark all the bolts that have been torque tightened.
Attachments
Belts & covers
Belts & covers
11042011573 (Medium).jpg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 8253 times
Limited edition #317
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

samo wrote: I have to say the Italian engineer who designed the covers must have forgoten to take his pills the day he designed this odd things.
I tend to think these sort of design are made by committee, after a hefty Friday lunch at the local watering hole. You're getting somewhere all of a sudden. How long until you think you can test it?
Book #348
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I think the criticism of the belt covers is a bit unfair. The front end is quite simply not the easiest thing to cover up and if fitted right the cover system does a very good job indeed of protecting the cam belt (at least) though the balance shaft belt is very exposed.

I recommend fixing the shafts - method described in my book and on the site somewhere - and removing the belt.

G
samo

Post by samo »

The covers indeed do a unacceptable job of protecting the belt but they could be a bit more user friendly :)

I was considering fixing the blance shafts but as it is a restoration project I am going to go with the original spec. But to be fair if I though of it 2 years and 200€ ago I would have just bolted them up...

I managed to get the majority of work around the belts done today. I used some yellow paint (as original :) ) to mark the bolts that have ben torqued up.
Attachments
My almost finished engine.
My almost finished engine.
13042011579 (Medium).jpg (53.93 KiB) Viewed 7939 times
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

I have been taking apart my collection of turbochargers. One is from the 8v inegrale the famous TB338 and the other from a 16V the TB385. They are huge comparing to todays smaller more efficient ones.

Both cores and intake sides are near perfec and will only need cleaning. And perhaps new 360 degree bearings and balancing. But both exhaust turbine housings have heat cracks in them. Will try to get them welded up if it will be possible.
Attachments
CHRA side by side.
CHRA side by side.
16042011598 (Medium).jpg (58.47 KiB) Viewed 7906 times
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

I am still waiting for some stuff to be sandblasted, eloxated, zyncplated, phosporousprimed... And while waiting I am trying to finish some loose ends of the car.

So I managed to install the antena cable, find the alcantara fit for trimming the headliner and glue the alcantar to the headliner.
Attachments
Re-trimmed headliner.
Re-trimmed headliner.
29042011617 (Medium).jpg (52 KiB) Viewed 7822 times
Limited edition #317