No oil pressure

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
tcmoggy

No oil pressure

Post by tcmoggy »

Finished the instaol of my new (ish only done 800 miles) engine, went to start her and have zero oil pressure.
I had the sump off and had to fit a different one and a different pick up pipe, so I headed straight for the pump thinkng this would be the problem (not sure why, it's the only thing I touched on the install).
Relief valve fitted correctly, all seems good.
Had a look at the filter housing, dry as a bone. Have checked the drive gear rotates when the engine is turned over and it does.
All galleries are clear, the pump just isn't "sucking".
Being that this motor has been run before although has been drained for a week or so and I have had the pump off, does the pump need priming?
If so, what with?
Vaseline? (similar to Rover V8's)
Just engine oil? How critical is the condition of the gasket between the block and pump? The pump came off without breaking or damaging the gasket, if there was a slight leak would this stop the pump from working all together (losing the column of oil and drawing small amounts of air). I have seen this before but only when the car had done 50 miles and got hot.
Has anyone else experienced this before?

A lot of questioons in a single post I know, but I'm desperate to identify the cause.

Jeff
WhizzMan

Re: No oil pressure

Post by WhizzMan »

It would help if you would tell us what engine you are referring to? I am assuming it's a Fiat 8V twin cam? Have you tried priming it, or are you purely after the root cause now?
Book #348
tcmoggy

Post by tcmoggy »

Hhi,

Yes, TC 8V. U've got the sump off now, pump out and filter housing off as well. When I loosened the bolts that hold the pump on a large volume came back through the strainer indicating that the gasket between the block and pump had sealed sufficiently.
Is there any chance that the geardrive can move when you fit the pump? The dizzt tyrns as the car fired uo and I shut her down immediately.
Thought I'd check that I hadn't blocked off a gallery when filter the filter housing etc etc hence the reason U have stripped it.
When I fitted the pump I had to wihhle the pump to get the splines aligned. I just have an element of doubt in my mind as this is myy first experience with twin cams, I'm used to big V8's normally.

Jeff
ace124

Post by ace124 »

Did you fill the oil filter with oil prior to start up?
I know of a case with an 1800 8V TC that could not get oil pressure after an oil change on start up cause he filled the filter with oil and i suspect a combination of an air lock and the energy needed to push pressure thru a laden filter being too great.
Having said that up until recently i used to do it myself without an issue.

Goodluck
MinorTC

Post by MinorTC »

If the oil filter housing is as dry as a bone, I would try putting some oil in there to begin with - at least half-full, say.

Have you seen Guy's article on oil pressure?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1562

Hope you get this problem licked - it certainly sounds a bit tense!
Maurice,
East Kent.
tcmoggy

Post by tcmoggy »

Quick update. Packed pump with grease, refitted pump and sump, filled galleries in block with oil can, filter housing had a healthy drink too, fired up, after turning over by hand, 50 psi on tick over, and as sweet as a nut *thank goodness for that!!)

Thanks for your help guys, road test tonight, I'll keep you posted

Jeff :-D
tcmoggy

Post by tcmoggy »

Just thought that I'd let you know that I took the car for a test drive tonight, she sstill needs a trip to teh rolling road and she certainly is a handful. Very pleased with the motor and the oil pressure was still at 40 psi when hot on tickover and and 70 at about 5000 rpm.

:-)
MinorTC

Post by MinorTC »

That's great news, Jeff - well done! I think we need to see some pics though ;)
Maurice,
East Kent.