Lancia Integrale restoration

Post pics of your car in here
1NRO

Lancia Integrale restoration

Post by 1NRO »

Still not finished and jumping the gun a little but there are rather a lot of pictures. Some of the pics have been posted before on the internet so apologies to those that have seen them before. The hours involved are huge but I like it right and will always do my best. It'll make a nice car one day, better than Lancia made IMO. The basic idea is to provide a pretty standard car assembled as well as I can manage and keep the power target quite sensible when the time comes. I hope to build a much stiffer car without fitting a cage and do my best to make it last. Not just exactly as it should be done as the engine is still in the but it came into the workshop some years ago for a quick job which has just escalated and has been stuck where it sat without much access to the front so it's just up to the engine bay with the next stage being the front end. Great care was taken to support the car without twist whilst I hacked chunks out of it and as luck would have it all was well, it sits straight as I'd like.

A couple of the nasties started with, pretty much the same throughout the shell, what was I thinking!
No mercy, it needs cut out. One sill, I didn't get a pic of the pile of scrap I cut off around the car but it was quite a sight.
A run down of the sill repairs, made the inner, bodged a middle and lavished an original sill on the outer.
A pic of the repaired inner wing show above, many patchs and mucho grinding. No process pics due to being focused on getting it done rather than photography. There are a couple of hard to do areas in here.
The nature of a patch repair of which there are many in this project.
Once I'd been right round the outer lower edge (including cutting off and repairing before reattatching rear cross member and rear quarter lower repairs, boot shut areas, rear floors etc etc.) the floor pan took a dose of blood sweat and tears. A few repairs but generally not bad, stitch welded all over which made an excellent difference in ridgidity to the shell. This won't have a cage fitted but the amount of plates that have been welded in and the stitch welding have stiffened it up to the point when it's jacked on one corner the whole end lifts together. They don't usually do that!
By this stage a motivational primer session was called for, nothing better than getting it all one colour. The underneath too, stripped to bare metal and a coat of "Granville" rust restorer on all seams etc before a thick 2K. Actually did it twice, once before seam sealing and once after.
So then I painted the lower half of the car with 2k, nothing too fancy, just a good thick coat top and bottom.
So, then I rubbed down the underneath to provide a key for the "Raptor Liner" which is bomb proof. I have no worries attacking it with a blunt screw driver and it actually abrades the plastic handle. Excellent stuff, just don't if you ever use it get it on your skin. I spent a week with a weird pinky red face and hands after trying to get it off with thinners only to smear it all over!
Did the foot wells and the boot floor, gave it plenty in the inner structure of the rear quarters too.
There's so many repairs to different areas that to photograph every stage (never mind post on the internet) is difficult but this is a sequence of stages to repair one of the lower corners on the windscreen scuttle which is a common area for attention.

AND repeat ;)

Several stints of graft later it was time for another motivational coat of paint, the rear roof and around the sunroof had major repairs but I've not a complete sequence of event so won't post what I took. If you need them for work your doing just ask and I can send what I have.
Painting is quick and easy IMO as long as certain efforts are made, I spray in a far from ideal enviroment (soon to be improved) but really as long as no reactions happen and it's not done by a blind man the real skill is in the flatting and polishing afterwards. I like polishing, after its finished ;)
random underside
After a bit flat and polish

So that'll be fettled and repaired all over (from the front screen backwards) rust potion on all vital areas, 2k primer, seam sealer, more 2k primer, 2k top coat, flat off underside etc and raptor liner, repair over roof and prime, flat off all over and then a thick top coat of decent 2k and flatted off and polished, then I pumped 5 litres of waxoyl into everywhere I could find/access. It's taken some years of fits and starts (other projects to tend too) but it's starting to look pretty decent I think
NOTHING goes back on without being in fine fettle, new or better.

Back on it's wheels and moved back into a new position for engine removal. Raided the stash for an set of evo seats and carpet and scratted through boxes to find various clips, grommets, trims etc. The evo roof lining is to suit an electric sunroof whereas this car is just a manual sunroof so some stressful trimming of the fibre backing whilst not cutting through the alcantara was needed but thankfully all went well and it's as tight as a drum, not something I'd want to do again in a hurry. Rear bumper makes it look pretty complete from the back and as usual more elbow grease into the paint polishing, like a madman the door shuts got a dose of colour sanding and polishing.

The engine came out easy enough with no nasties to be found in the engine bay, just wish the front inner wings were the same. Some cleaning off of all the gunge and seam sealer before starting the cut, make, weld, grind starts again but for now it'll join the back of the line as other stuff gets it's turn.

A long termer as you might gather but I'll post again when I get fired up again, Christmas holidays often see me holed up playing Scrooge and pushing this project on, we'll see in time. Aplogies for the lack of engine stuff (which this website is really about I know) but when the time comes I do a similar sequence for the oily bits and the direction I take it, I have some plans in mind.

Nik
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Lancia Integrale restoration

Post by Guy Croft »

MODEL POST!

Wow, Nik, that is really something and I know how careful you are with detail in these things.

Doesn't matter at all that the engine is not featured, that 'resto' is almost a manual in itself.

Thanks very much for putting so many excellent photos on record in that marvellous sequence.

G
4v6

Post by 4v6 »

What a fantastic project.

I think that rust would have defeated most people but youve done an A1 job to repair it as you have, patch panels or not, it looks superb.
Tony Warren. GC #96.
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

Thanks Guy and Tony, all motivation helps. I hope maybe someone might also be skilled enough to save a heap rather than scrapping, I'd be glad if I could inspire some good work. I've known far better cars get crushed which is a real shame.

I'm sick of the project for now and will leave it until I feel sorry for it again, some time to contemplate the engine dilema at least. Do I stick with the 8v engine or build up a 16v instead. I intend non gearbox breaking power but would like to build something crisp for it, not being well versed in the potential of the 8v when compared to the 16v I'm torn between the two. Guy, when compared to the 16v how does the 8v hold up in it's potential for tuning?

Nik
Uros Piperski

Post by Uros Piperski »

As far as I know the 8v TC can't beat the downdrafted intake ports and twin valves if the maximum output is concerned.

Great job Nik, keep up the good work.
I striped my delta to the bare shell more than five years ago and still no progress. Can't find any spare time. I'm now planning to get the body done at a local shop. I seen some of their work and it looks great, exactly the thing I planned to do.

Uros
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

Hello Uros,

Thanks for the comments. It's amazing how the years fly by isn't it, I've been doing this for a similar time.

I hear you regarding the multi valve engine but I think I'm going to stick with the 8v when the time comes, it'll be nice to have matching numbers and I must admit I'm interested to see how the earlier engine develops alongside the 16v fitted cars I'm working on. I might well be much older by that time though, the speed I can justify funds is very slow :-(

Nik
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

As far as 8v turbo outputs are concerned - check out Kopikas Racing's car in this section.

G
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

I've read through a couple of times now, inspirational stuff forsure.

Seeing that and the retaining originality nag it's a no brainer really, flat bonnet it is.
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

Very nice craftsmanship. I'd stick with original. There are plenty of modified cars out there, but only a few that are still in factory spec.
Book #348
andy wright

Post by andy wright »

Evening Nik,
I have only just joined this forum, so I have not seen all your photographs before (some of them via the banned). You have done an outstanding job. Incredible skill. Well done. Keep it original. All your other work is so true to what Lancia intended, any other engine would be a let-down, in my view.
Andy
GC_20
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the compliments, I just like to play cars. Original engine it's to be though likely there'll be a few changes to the bolt on stuff, I've not stuck to the exact parts as fitted to the early cars so far, things like the interior is as fitted the the first Evo's.

You must be a Delta driver too? Be careful, they get under your skin ;-)

Nik
andy wright

Post by andy wright »

I am! Slowly rebuilding an EVO 1 (well in to the second year of the rebuild) I am not fanatical about originality but I am trying to build the car really well, to a standard that I have set, which does mean some non-original parts, although the car will look like a standard EVO 1 in Madras Blue (apart from the Speedlines and the Tan leather highback recaros)
Your rebuild is a real inspiration. You had much more repair work to do on your shell than I did.
Andy
GC_20
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

Ah , a Madras Evo, I can remember it being mentioned. Stick at it, nothing good was ever easy. I imagine you must be thinking engines by now and hence you being here, a good place to be, read through as much as you can dredge up, there's a lot of good infomation.

Nik
andy wright

Post by andy wright »

Yes I am thinking about engines. I have a completely standard 16V that I know is o.k which I will use for the short term. I have rebuilt everything else except it and so once I have the car fully operational and all the teething toubles sorted ( I have rose-jointed suspension front and rear, most of which I have fabricated myself, so there are bound to be headaches) I want to build a really good 16V engine with a useable and driver-friendly torque and power spread without lots of boost. I am learning so much about the art of engine-building ( I have built a few and thought I knew what I was doing..ho ho) so I will not'dive in' until I am really clear about how to set about achieving what I want. Do you have a plan for your car being on the road at a particular time/date or are you like me, fitting the build in when you can without a specific deadline?
Andy
GC_20
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

Ha, a deadline? No, there's none of that here with me, stuff takes forever. I'm working on my 500 currently, shortly to be sheeted up again, next inline is a bit of workshop improvement and then it's the track evo that's due a stint. Inbetween all that I'm working on some inlet manifolds and a furniture commission (about 500 hrs worth) and trying to keep my head above water in my working life, never idle.

Ah yes, the mythical low boost highly focused on drivability engine, that consumes an unhealthy amount of time and money for me too. I will tell you though, it's a mine field out there.

Nik