Lancia Beta Distributor hole blanking

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
dp

Lancia Beta Distributor hole blanking

Post by dp »

I now control ignition with a Megajolt crank fired ignition and want to remove the distributor. This engine has the distributer in the block driven off the oil pump.

I've seen blanking plugs on other T/C engines - presumably these plugs are not just caps but have something to stop the cog on the oil pump jumping free. If this is the case are these blanking plugs available anywhere or alternatively, what's the optimum place to cut down the distributor?

Thanks
tmvolumex

Re: Lancia Beta Distributor hole blanking

Post by tmvolumex »

The "blanking plug" is long enough to hold the distributor / oil pump drive gear in the correct postion. You will need a gasket for the plug in addition to the plug itself. I know there were a couple of different gear designs, not sure about the plug. I would make sure that the plug is not too long or too short for sure. I would do this by measuring the depth of the gear in the block hole. There is a lot of clearance between the bottom of the plug and the top of the gear. The direction of rotation pulls the gear down into the block.
Tom
GC_31
dp

Post by dp »

Anyone have an idea where to get such a plug? Or the dimensions to knock up on a lathe? Presumably it's nothing more complicated than a solid rod of aluminium turned down to a top hat shape?
robert kenney

Post by robert kenney »

All T/C's I have seen with a head mounted distributor have one in the old block distributor port.

Literally I can get one for a couple of dollars in the states. Got to believe you can find one locally without resorting to making one. Even a good guy on this forum...

Robert
Robert Kenney # 111
Alex Donner

Post by Alex Donner »

Hi!

Have you already got that part? Otherwise i can send you photos or measures of that plug. I´m running a carb conversation project on my Beta and so i need to put the distributor on the exhaust camshaft. I was also looking for that plug but now i have one...

regards
Alex
GC_51
dp

Post by dp »

Hi, I had one knocked up on a lathe already but thanks.