124 BC - suspension tuning (aka: improving handling...)

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
prc87

124 BC - suspension tuning (aka: improving handling...)

Post by prc87 »

Wondering what "subtle" improvements might be possible to a euro spec 124 BC (1608 with twin 40IDF etc etc) that I am seriously considering buying:

The car was recently fully restored to near concours condition. This included a standard spec suspension package (standard springs and shocks etc etc). The car is currently running the correct 13x5 factory alloys with 165x13 tyres.

What handling benefits/improvements make sense for this car - given it will be used as an open road tourer and weekend driver?

I'm thinking of 14x6 wheels with 185/65x14 tyres, and was wondering about slightly lowering the car (front: 132 stub axles, rear: slightly lower springs).

Don't want to stuff up the handling package - especially want to avoid bump-steer that might be introduced by shorter front springs (changing the wishbone angle below zero etc etc).

Keen to hear from anyone with real world experience - thanks in advance!

Peter Crow
Wellington, New Zealand.
miro-1980

Re: 124 BC - suspension tuning (aka: improving handling...)

Post by miro-1980 »

Hi Peter,

I have a 124 CSO and was thinking about the same , but after I studied literature and searched the internet I decided to limit the whole suspension change to red Koni shocks.

Previously I had the yellow ones and was very happy but an opportunity to buy the red ones came aorund and I took it . The yellow ones were veru good but these are even better. Handling much improved and the ride is still very comfortable.

Typicaly any change the suspension (like lowerting the car) on 1a 124 spider or coupe results in immediate and drastic degradation of handling and dramatic increase of understeer.
There must be ways to do it , but I think there is general agreement that it is not easy, requires quite a bit of knowlesge and skill and is nit inexpensive.

I would advise you to put good shocks and keep, make sure the allignment is ok and all the bushes are in good contitional and keep ther rest t of the suspension standard.

Since you will use tha car as " open road tourer and weekend driver" and not for competition keep it pretty much the way it is. The complications of trying to lower the car will by far off set any (questionable) potential benefit. After all you want to drive it and be happy and not not continously work on it and curse it every time you go out for a test drive.

Miro

PS: I believe the one who would be able to advise you best on more "racy" suspension would be Jim Scurria of this forum. See his car at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1691

M
www.Fiat-abarth-rally.com
GC_93
TR-Spider

Post by TR-Spider »

Hi Peter

is that BC Spider or Coupe?
I have a late 2l Spider
I'm thinking of 14x6 wheels with 185/65x14 tyres)
Yes 185 tirewidth suits the car. 14" gives you wider tirechoice, with 13* you can run the Abarth 4-spokes with 185/70-13...its matter of taste. The downside of the Abarth's is the large offset.
and was wondering about slightly lowering the car (front: 132 stub axles, rear: slightly lower springs).
132 stub axles is in my opinion one of the best suspension modifications, because it makes the chamber go negative under roll, i.e. your outer front wheel can transmit more cornering forces and thus reduce understeer. It lowers the front by 10-15mm. Dont forget to shorten and reshape the upper bump stop, otherwise it will come in too early. I can dig out details if requested.
And yes, that should be combined with some lower (and harder) rear spings. I run std. front springs and harder/shorter rear springs from the typical lowering sets.
Koni red is a nice damper and you can adjust it in rebound stiffness (damper-out-job).

Another great modification is the addition of a stifer front ARB (Anti Roll Bar) and a rear one. The rear one can be made adjustable and then you can adopt the handling to suit your driving style easily. I run a 25mm front (std 20mm) and an adjustable 15mm rear. The combination of stiff ARB and soft spring gives good control while keeping some comfort.

Thomas
GC_23
tmvolumex

Post by tmvolumex »

I have a Fiat 124 AC and the addition of Koni shocks, a rear sway bar, wider tires and moving the battery to the right rear of the trunk made a huge difference. The addition of the rear sway bar is key. The car is now neutral and does not understeer. The 124 Addco Fiat spider rear bar that are still available fits the 124 coupe just fine. I also made a large front spoiler that really helps car control at highways speeds.
GC_31