Fiat 124 Sport Coupe AC 1969

Post pics of your car in here
AtleHaagensen

Fiat 124 Sport Coupe AC 1969

Post by AtleHaagensen »

Hello Guy and all readers out there.

Here's a presentation of my car and the progress of this ongoing project untill now.

The car is a 1969 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe of the first series (AC). It was among the last ACs produced, and has the BC 4-link-type rear axle arrangement. I bought the car in November 2006 and drove it home to Stockholm from Östersund, about 500 km on snowy roads. A little adventure, but I had no problems on the way. The car was at that time matte black and looked terrible. After a few months of driving, it became evident that a suspension job was needed. The summer of 2006 a fast paint job was done in "tricolore" type style.

The following winter someone bumped into the car while it was parked, leaving terrible dents in the left door and in the hood, but I got my hands on a new hood and new doors. The summer of 2007 I changed all trailing arms, track control arms, steering knuckles and bushings, and mounted a lowering kit (35mm lowering for 124 Spider) and adjustable shocks. The original 1438ccm engine was changed for a renovated 1608ccm that I got for a cheap price. The only problem was that no intake manifold or IDF carbs were included, so it runs on the original 1438 manifold and origninal type carb. I also had a differential adjusting job done and new rear axle bearings and oil seals.

This summer I got on with it again. A brand new Solex carb with original specs was mounted. A new paint job was necessary after changing doors and hood, but this time I chose a colour combination that looks more "street-car like".
It's now orange with matte black hood and rear. The first thing I did after the paint job was taking it to the Giorno Italiana car gathering to test it at the race track. That was great fun! The handling was good and the driveability was nice (for being an original 1608 engine).
At the end of the summer, I took it for a long drive along the west coast of Norway. A lot of mountains, curly, tight roads, fjords and steep hills. During less than 3 weeks I drove almost 3500km, with only minor problems along the way.

Now I've installed an electronic ignition kit to get rid of the points and condenser vulnerabilities, and a bolt-on four piston caliper kit has arrived from USA. The brackets are made for late-type Pininfarina Spider with 257mm brake discs, and with large capacity calipers I'll be able to use Croma type ventilated discs (257mmx22mm or 257mmx20mm). Polyurethane bushings for rear trail arms are also ready to be mounted, and I've located a kit for the front track control arms as well. Rear and heavy duty front sway bars are under consideration.

My philosophy is to make the car's handling as good as possible and to have good braking power first, then I can concentrate on the power afterwards. To me, power without handling and braking ability is useless.

Next: this spring I'll start the engine project. 2-litre 8 valve with twin carbs, tuned to stage II is the present plan. However, such plans have a tendency to change (to the better)... (in my experience, at least)

During the summer of 2009 I hope to test the car in a classic race series in Norway called Corsa Italiana (of course, there are only Italian cars in this series). :-)
Attachments
During first paint job.
During first paint job.
Lakkering.jpg (78.43 KiB) Viewed 20216 times
First paint job done.
First paint job done.
Tricolore.jpg (72.74 KiB) Viewed 20214 times
On tour: in the Dovre mountains of Norway
On tour: in the Dovre mountains of Norway
Dovre.jpg (95.19 KiB) Viewed 20214 times
In front of the Troll's Wall mountain, Norway.
In front of the Troll's Wall mountain, Norway.
Trollveggen.jpg (92.5 KiB) Viewed 20211 times
Myself: enjoying the driving and the magnificient nature.
Myself: enjoying the driving and the magnificient nature.
Atle.jpg (84.84 KiB) Viewed 20210 times
Brake caliper kit
Brake caliper kit
Caliper1.jpg (88.82 KiB) Viewed 20649 times
Brake caliper ready to be mounted on the car.
Brake caliper ready to be mounted on the car.
Caliper2.jpg (81.18 KiB) Viewed 20652 times
124 Sport Coupe 1969
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Fiat 124 Sport Coupe AC 1969

Post by Guy Croft »

MODEL POST!

I really enjoyed this one!

I do like the inclusion of scenery from your country and a shot of Atle himself!

Personally I thought the Italian paint job very handsome - but sure, it's not my car. Fiat AC Coupes are incredibly rare, as you may know, and it's great to see one here.

GC
cos

Post by cos »

Enjoyed the read too.
Atle, where did you buy the brake kit from? Looking for a conversion myself.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Seeing the logo on the parts I figure from Whoa brakes in the USA - developed by my friend Jim Fierst and aval from Jon Logan - an agent for Jim's and my parts too. Both are members here.

I don't know if Jim sells direct but you can certainly drop Jon a line at:

http://www.midwest124.com/Whoa_Brakes.htm

G
Jon_Logan

Post by Jon_Logan »

Yes, Atle ordered the kit from me at Midwest-124, Ltd. I am VERY interested to learn how the kit works for him as we special ordered in a larger capacity caliper to work with vented rotors from the Fiat Croma Turbo. The standard stocked kits I sell use the more typical solid 257mm rotor as used on the 1985.5 Fiat 124 in the US and many other models in Europe. The 257 kits require 14" rims minimum for caliper clearance. If you run 13" rims, the basic kit which work with the stock 227mm rotors and include the brackets, calipers, pads, mounting hardware and stainless braided hoses.

I run 13" rims on my own Spider and the basic kit I have installed in my own Spider works very well... MUCH better than the single piston stock set-up. The large rotor kits give the best performance as the leverage advantage of gripping from further away from the spindle centerline comes into play.

Kits are available on-line at my site as guy listed. International shipping is available through USPS Global Priority Mail insured.

Basic kits for 13" rims list at $595+shipping
Kits with solid type 257mm rotor are $695
Kits with competition 2-piece slotted rotors are $795.

I have only one set of two-piece brembo rotors and do not plan to have more made (too expensive to produce). I will be ordering in slotted solid rotors instead.

For a kit as was ordered by Atle, I would need a little more time to receive in the special order larger capacity calipers but the kits are otherwise in stock for shipping.

Jon Logan
Midwest-124
Jon W. Logan
Midwest-124
http://www.midwest124.com
parts@midwest124.com
1979 Fiat Spider 2000, 10:1, Twin IDFs
AtleHaagensen

Post by AtleHaagensen »

Hello Guy and hello Jon!

Well, I had to do a new paint job after changing hood and doors. I too think the old paint job was nicer, but time limits and other problems made me choose a quicker solution. (takes time and care to make perfect stripes...) What I really want is a paint job more like the old Alitalia rally cars. :)

Jon, I'll post updates on the brake conversion progress here. Right now I'm waiting for a set of Zimmermann drilled rotors for Croma. More to come... :)

Atle.
124 Sport Coupe 1969
Jon_Logan

Post by Jon_Logan »

Atle,
Excelent! I look forward to details.

I LOVE the photo of the Coupe with the Mountains in the background. Breathtaking!
Jon
Jon W. Logan
Midwest-124
http://www.midwest124.com
parts@midwest124.com
1979 Fiat Spider 2000, 10:1, Twin IDFs
stooges

Post by stooges »

Hi Atle
Nice car! I´m also working with a Fiat sport coupe but a CC from 73, but the progress is slow. I saw that you also live in Sweden are you planning to go to Skokloster 1st of may (Italian car/mc/bicyles show) next year? would be nice to see your car in real life.
AtleHaagensen

Post by AtleHaagensen »

Hi!

I'm not sure I'll be going to that gathering. Unfortunately, it collides with a chiropractic seminar on Mallorca... Also, I'm in the process of gathering parts to build an engine these days. (130TC with twin DRLA 40's and 4-2-1 exhaust, balanced and mildly tuned) Not sure if I'll have the engine done till then.

I live in Solna, Stockholm. Where do you live, Stooges?

thank you!
124 Sport Coupe 1969
AtleHaagensen

Post by AtleHaagensen »

Hi. It's been a long time since my last entry here. I'll fill in more as the project proceeds this summer.
For a long time now, I've been collecting parts needed to fulfill my plans.

Unfortunately, the company who were going to supply me with brake discs managed to postpone the delivery for months, and finally went bancrupt. I'm now trying to get my money back from the company handling the financial business of the former firm. So, brake discs are currently on hold, but I will be ordering Tarox brake discs as soon as my financial situation allows it.

What I have managed to get my hands on is:
A 130TC engine
Waffle type intake manifold
Two Dellorto DRLA 40 carbs
Fitting details for the carbs, including ram pipes and filters

I'll add pictures later.

I also have a 1800 engine and gearbox from another 124 Sport Coupe, which I was considering using for the project before I got the 130TC engine.

I don't know exactly how much I'll do with the 130TC engine before installing it (what I WANT to do is often much more than I'm capable of). I'll have to achieve as much power as I can with what I've got until I can afford some more race-proven parts. Thanks to Guy's fantastic DVD and his old workshop manual, I'll be able to do some work on the head and manifold etc. Carb adjustment, crankshaft and flywheel balancing and valve shimming will be left to the professionals.

On my shopping list right now is an electronic ignition system for distributorless applications. I'm considering a simple system from MSD connected to a magnetic pick-up sensor directed towards the original points on the crankshaft pulley.
Any comments on this or views on good ignition systems will be highly appreciated!

Atle
124 Sport Coupe 1969
TS131Volumex

Post by TS131Volumex »

Very tastfull paint job , good to see !
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Watch out for the shallow counterbore on the 130TC crank if used with RWD gearbox - it will cause the gearbox input shaft to 'bottom out' and burn out the thrust washers. The shaft needs shortening.

There is an extensive thread on the site somewhere about how to cope with it.

GC
AtleHaagensen

Post by AtleHaagensen »

Thanks Guy! I'll need to deal with that, obviously.

Any thoughts as to what kind of ignition system is preferable, anyone? I'm considering MSD 6AL or similar. (distributor out, distributorless ignition in...)

Atle.
124 Sport Coupe 1969
robert kenney

Post by robert kenney »

I'll through my experience in for ignition choice. I have run many many MSD CD boxes in my time in both street high performance and race applications and, have always been happy using a distributer. Sorry I can't speak for distributerless systems as all of my extreme performance engines have been magneto based.

If I had an issue with the MSD 6 series it would be a suitable pickup situation that allowed an elimination of the points. A magnetic pickup input is supplied on the unit but it may not be compatible with all pick-up impedances. A company named "Pertronix" (2 miles from my home) makes retrofit electronic point elimination modules for many European distributers. They trigger the MSD boxes very reliably.

Hope this helps,
Robert
Robert Kenney # 111
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I want to interject briefly and just point out for the record that I have personally bench-dynoed dozens of TC engines on contact breaker systems up to 8500rpm and, while it is well known that alternative systems offer demonstrable advantages, they should not be viewed as an 'essential' alteration.

GC