Windage Trays

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Westfield

Windage Trays

Post by Westfield »

Hi Guy

Could you give me your theory on Windage Trays please.

Gary
Thank you
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

A windage tray is so-called because (a good one) keeps allows the oil to get thru but keeps it away from the 'windage' of the crank - in other words the gas and air in the sump that throws the oil up and aerates it.

There is a pic below of one for a transverse Fiat SOHC motor with X19 alloy pan, it sits between the crankcase and sump, sealed with heavy duty silicone sealant, has louvres to let the oil thru it in direction of crank rotation and clearance round the sides for drain down.

They are simple to make and can be bolted in or welded, and the tray sits at or above oil level, but they must be robust enough to withstand engine vibration.

Site search using 'windage' will give other material, have a good read:

http://guy-croft.com/search.php?mode=results

GC
Attachments
SOHC Fiat windage tray idea - one of many possible layouts. As usually happens with things I post I guess someone will go into production with this and call it their own. You heard it here first!
SOHC Fiat windage tray idea - one of many possible layouts. As usually happens with things I post I guess someone will go into production with this and call it their own. You heard it here first!
plate2.JPG (245.58 KiB) Viewed 3446 times
plate1.JPG
plate1.JPG (237.21 KiB) Viewed 3440 times
A dry-sump pan must have a very effective windage tray or it won't scavenge properly - here is one with a full length tray that follows rod-sweep radius.
A dry-sump pan must have a very effective windage tray or it won't scavenge properly - here is one with a full length tray that follows rod-sweep radius.
sump 002.jpg (440.06 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
Last edited by Guy Croft on March 5th, 2007, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westfield

Post by Westfield »

Hi Guy

That was quick thank you. I that one fitted as a sandwich between the sump and the block? could you buy one over the counter or are they a home made item?. What gain is there to be achieved with one of these?

Gary
Thank you
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Not off the shelf - but as I say some copier somewhere will no doubt start making them now they have been shown on GCRE (sorry, sore point).
You could ask Keith to make one, I'll send you his e mail. I don't have time, sorry - far too many F/L varieties to cover everything, more and more my work is one-offs.

You don't fit them for power, you do them in the hope of reducing the changes of 'throwing' a rod..

Members - please don't start writing about power gain unless you personally own data showing back to back dyno test. Thanks.

GC