130TC Gearbox oil

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
mlmotorsport

130TC Gearbox oil

Post by mlmotorsport »

Hello Guy,

I finally got the head back on the old strada today, so my thoughts turn to the gearbox, I plan to change the oil in the gearbox any reccomendations on this?

thank you,

AndyD
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

As far as i remember Andy, you can use 15W/40 mutigrade oil in all T/C gearboxes. Ive even seen people use ATF oil.

Andy.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

No way!

Use OE - the real thing not substitute and none other.

Those Fiat 130TC boxes are way weak and you risk losing it altogether if you try anything else.

GC
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

During my days working for Fiat Guy [70's-80's],if a customer complained of a notchy gearbox, we would refill with Multigrade. It was very common to fill with Castrol GTX. Indeed, on lesser Strada's, it was the OE Spec to use multigrade 15w/40. You do have a point about their weakness though. Syncromesh goes on them at will.
Sorry to argue the point Guy.

Andy.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

The differential calls for an extreme pressure oil in that gearbox. RWD you might get away with something else, sure, but the only oil I ever saw fit to use in substitute to OE oils on Fiat gearboxes was Selenia race gearbox oil.

GC
mlmotorsport

130tc gearbox oil

Post by mlmotorsport »

Started something here!

Ok so what is the OE spec oil or equivalant valvoline etc?
SteveNZ

Post by SteveNZ »

Im not sure specifically for the 130TC, but all the other 128/Strada/Uno etc type boxes inc turbo's use Tutela ZC90 as OE. ZC90 is a 80w/90 GL3 non EP oil. I believe the syncros in these early gearboxes dont like EP additives. The later Tipo type boxes got ZC80s, which is the same except its GL4 EP.

You can use ZC90 but IMO there are much better options. Oil has come a long way in the last 20 years. Use a synthetc, the same grade, specific for 5 speed transaxles. The synthetic oil should be compatable with the syncros, while still having EP properties. Redline, Elf, Castrol etc, any top brand should be fine, just pick the right one.

I use Elf in my Tipo box but its very expensive. I swapped to Tutela ZC75 Synth last season which is a bit cheaper. Shift quality actually improved. Im very happy with it.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I stand corrected, ZC90 is non EP.

GC