Ceramic Coatings

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Lowtechguy

Ceramic Coatings

Post by Lowtechguy »

I think we all agree they look pretty, but my questions are:

When is it a necessity? ie: when is it wrong not to do it?

Does it affect the engine in terms of needing to be setup again ie: timing because of the change in velocity of gases/affecting the pulse and scavenging effects?

(I refer of course to exhaust manifold but also the block/pistons).

I also noticed there is a process and a special 'paint', I know the process will be better but are they even considered the same or is the paint no good at all.

And finally does it strengthen the parts, I have a Supersprint manifold and the metal is very thin and I am worried it will crack, by giving it a coating will it be stronger?

Regards, Cristian
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I think we all agree they look pretty, but my questions are:

When is it a necessity? ie: when is it wrong not to do it?

Hi Cristian

Does it affect the engine in terms of needing to be setup again ie: timing because of the change in velocity of gases/affecting the pulse and scavenging effects?

No, to the very best of my knowledge.

I also noticed there is a process and a special 'paint', I know the process will be better but are they even considered the same or is the paint no good at all.

A coating may not necessarily be paint, though in the case of exhaust manifold paint I swear by Sperex high temperature aerosols, nice colors and it really does hang in there and goes a long way to preventing external corrosion on mild steel pipes (and cast iron ones I too, though they are less at risk, being thicker.)

As for coatings - low friction/heat barrier I don't like them because of the attendant risk of flaking-off and ingestion/damage. I know others who do like them however, was talking to my young friend Simon Hall at Richard Thorne Classic Cars about that very thing today. I have extensively written elsewhere on this site about coatings - use the site search to trace. Member Piero started the thread I recall.

And finally does it strengthen the parts, I have a Supersprint manifold and the metal is very thin and I am worried it will crack, by giving it a coating will it be stronger?

No, it does't add strength in this case. I've no direct experience of ex coatings (pipes or port) as such (ie: not paint) in terms of power etc. I think the idea is more to cut down convective heat transfer from the surface. How effective that really is in terms of power gain I've no idea, sorry. If anyone does know for sure, let's hear it. NO guesswork - please!

GC
mandic

Post by mandic »

What about anti-friction coating on main or rod bearings?

Thanks

Ziga
-Green blood
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Best coating I know of is engine oil.

GC
Lowtechguy

Post by Lowtechguy »

Thank you. I will use the search as well next time, Cristian.