Fiat X1/9 Camshaft pulley

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Sideshow_bob

Fiat X1/9 Camshaft pulley

Post by Sideshow_bob »

Hello again,

I decided to change my cambelt the other day. When taking off the old belt I noticed that the camshaft pulley had slight play. Further investigation lead me to find that the centre of the pulley had became somewhat loose in comparison to the outter of the pulley. The engine I have is a 1300 and the camshaft pulley is plastic if that helps. My question is, has anyone known this to happen before? and if so what is the cause of it?

Many thanks,

Adam.

Pictures are available if required.
Fiat X1/9 Lido
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hi Adam

I'm very sorry but that is one I have never seen before, those plastic pulleys have a very large steel hub and are super strong.

Must have been a loose bolt in the past I guess, or the belt subject to overload from a valve-piston clash or some other event to cause the cam and crank to go out of phase severely and overload the pulley.

Just replace it - maybe with a Kent adjustable one, I doubt it will ever happen again.

GC
Sideshow_bob

Post by Sideshow_bob »

Hi Guy,

Hope you had a very nice Christmas! Now that you mention it the previous belt must have jumped at least 2 teeth at some point because it was fairly far out in relation to the crankshaft and camshaft pulleys! I did think along the lines of stress on the pulley itself and now that you have suggested it also, it could be a logical explanation. Many thanks, not often you get help from such experienced people especially when you have not exchanged business.

If I don't speak to you before, be sure to have a cracking new year¢ž¢s eve!

Adam.
Fiat X1/9 Lido
so cal mark

Post by so cal mark »

I've replaced a couple of the plastic pulleys on TC engines that had loose hubs. They made a horrendous noise when the engine was running
Sideshow_bob

Post by Sideshow_bob »

Ah excellent getting somewhere then! Well im not so worried now, the noise became unbearable!

Adam.
Fiat X1/9 Lido