Reverse the flow (inlet - exhaust) of Fiat 16v head

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Greenwood037

Reverse the flow (inlet - exhaust) of Fiat 16v head

Post by Greenwood037 »

I am converting both a Fiat X1/9 and a Lancia Scorpion to 2.0 blocks with the Lancia Integrale 16v head. In both situations, It would be more practical to have the exhaust exit the head towards the rear of the car like the 8v heads do. How reasonable would it be to use the head in reverse? I don't know anything about the flow of coolant through the head, such as if there is more or less on one side than the other. I know the valves of different sizes. Can the exhaust valve seat be increased in size enough to take an intake sized valve? Would it be detrimental to have a exhaust valve the same size as the intake valve? These will both be forced induction engines.

I have heard there were some early 16v heads that did flow the direction I am looking for, but they are rare. I am in the US, so it is hard enough to get a hold of the more common 16v head.

Thanks
Jason Greenwood
SteveNZ

Post by SteveNZ »

Very impractical. You would be better off with an old 8V head, worked. You can still get a lot of power out of them with forced induction. You may end up spending more money on a 16V setup like this for no gain over an 8V.

The early 16V heads have been purchased for $4000 or so.
Greenwood037

Post by Greenwood037 »

I don't mean to be a pain, but I would really like to know why it would be so impractical. Do you mean impractical to pay to have someone do, or impractical do yourself? Other than fitting the new seat, I would be doing all the required work. I already have to make my own custom intake and exhaust manifolds.

The early 16v head I am talking about it not one of the Abarth heads. I am talking early in the production of the mass produced Fiat/Lancia heads. I don't know how rare this head is. The Abarth head is flowing the right direction for me, just a little expensive for me.

The 8v head is a good head, but a ported 16v head flows better than a ported 8v head. More flow will mean more power at the same boost level. I don't think you can even port the 8v head well enough to out flow a stock 16v head. I am currently running a 12:1, ported, cams, and headers engine. It's fast, just not fast enough.

Thanks
Jason Greenwood
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

Hi Jason.
The 16v Head is all well and good, but the 8v will always outdo the 16v on low down torque. For turbo applications, just check the Delta Integrale 8v's torque against the 16v's.
You say your car is not fast enough. Can you tell us the power and torque figures acheived and at what revs? Have you a power curve for your engine? Maybe your cams do not suit the compression, or the flow through the head is wrong. What CFM have you acheived and was it flowed on a bench test? A good 8v engine will more then acheive power/torque figures to blow you away.

Andy.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Jason, hi

I get a lot of mail about these kinds of conversions. I don't take them in GC Q&A and mostly don't give guidance on them. If I'm takling to a guy who is as fmailiar with the later generation 16v head then we can move forward quickly. But 90% of them are absolute newcomers and start with 'I am converting' or 'I am thinking of converting'.

If you don't have a head yet you're going to find it difficult to figure anything out. Yes it can be done, but first get a head. Your first and by far biggest problem is buying one without being cheated.

Open a new thread in general discussion if you want to take this further.

Thanks.

GC