Dry sumppump Titan

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
torkil

Dry sumppump Titan

Post by torkil »

Hi use a Titan type 2 drysumppump 3 stage With pressure rotor widt 15,84 mm, New rotor ! Gear ratio 30 teeth on pump 14 on crank , The oil pressure drops on 70 degrees oil at 5000 rpm to about 2,5 bar and on idle 0,5 bar .mesured on pressure side on feed line , 2 liter engine with 16 valve head ,and squitters, Oll type Total Racing 10/60, , Bearing clarances 1,5 to 2 tousand off an inch.Scavage pumps work fine. Perhaps i have to change too a wider rotor , Any hints please,
GC_41
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Dry sumppump Titan

Post by Guy Croft »

The Titan pump pressure regulator is adjustable.

Have you adjusted it Ove?

With oil at 85 deg C you need min 60psi (4.2 bar) under load and preferably higher eg 70 psi (4.8)

the oil pressure on the original gear pump with wet-sump goes up and down with rpm, not so with the Titan pump.

The pressure at idle (off load) can be safely 20 psi or lower, but when you drive off it needs to go to 3 bar very quickly at 2500-3000 rev/min and more at higher engine speeds

the drive ratio for the pump is right and you should not need a bigger pressure rotor.

It is important that the bend radius of your oil pipes does not restrict the flow and the pipe from the tank to the pressure stage needs to be 5/8 - 3/4" BSP or it will restrict the feed. It is also important that the tank is located at a height where the pressure stage is easily fed by gravity from the tank.

I hope this helps..

G
Guy Croft, owner
torkil

Post by torkil »

Hi the .Titan Type 2
pump is fitted low down now so it is gravity feed , The pump has 30 tooth ,the crank pulley 14 tooth , the oil pressure is 3 bar at idle ,and 4/5 bar at 4000 rpm on cold oil 10/60 Total Racing oil, but at 70 degrees it drops down to 2 bar at 4000 rpm, The widt off the pump rotor is 15,84 ,and it is new ,The clarances is relatively smaal between case and and the outher face off the impeller, Clarances for chrank is all between 1,5/2 tousand off an inch, Now im not shure where too controll lekage ,perhaps 16 vale head . perhaps change the pump ratio from 14 tooth too 16 tooth . The scawage system looks too work fine, any hints welcome, Running off engine and placing off pump is on my FB site Ove Thorkildsen Oslo
GC_41
torkil

Post by torkil »

Iam sorry delete my latest post , Yes the adjustig screw has bee tried ,but no use , i have also lapped in the cone on the adjusting screw.
GC_41
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Ove

there aren't many causes for low oil pressure..

if none of the reasons I gave make sense the problem MUST be inside the engine..

the series 2 Titan is more-than-able to supply 90 psi+ on that engine with any size Titan pressure-stage rotor..

I recommend you strip the engine and find the problem before you lose the crank and rods..

G
Guy Croft, owner
torkil

Post by torkil »

Thanks , Everything is modified now , Gravity feed pump , Not a single angle bend , not even 45 deg, Mocal filter adapter drilled and grinded for max flow ,pressure adjuster on pump max far down. Now i wonder if the squitters can leak too mutch ? or the 16 V head has lekage in cam bearings. Or it must bee pump rotor and casing , or the bearings on rods and mains , , Anyway thanks my friend, hope you have the same weather as wee have here. Ove Thorkildsen ,
GC_41
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Which model of crankcase is it Ove?
Guy Croft, owner
torkil

Post by torkil »

Croma turbo Block, With squitters
GC_41
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

OK - oil sprays will not be the problem Ove..

cam clearances will not be the problem either.

Is it possible the oil pressure measurement/gauge is the problem? May seem a stupid question but it can happen...

G
Guy Croft, owner
torkil

Post by torkil »

Hi is it normal with drysumppump that leak though the system , who fills up the crancase with 2 liters in 24 houers, According to squitters they have a jet zise off one mm, whitch i now try to blank off, Ove
GC_41
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

yes it is normal Ove

G
Guy Croft, owner
torkil

Post by torkil »

Thanks Mr Croft You are Very Helpful
GC_41
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

GET THAT CRANK OUT OVE!!

GC
Guy Croft, owner
torkil

Post by torkil »

Hi have checked crank New bearings , controlled clarances ,Blanked off squitters. The situation has changed a bit , always good idle pressure on hot or cold oil 85 deg celsius. min 1,5 bar , high idle 1500 2 bar, But can not get higher press than 3 bar , on varm oil , cold oil 4/5 bar att 2000 rpm,Any hints where too look. Ove
GC_41
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

sorry Ove but now I suggest you take the pump off and send it to me so I can get Titan to inspect and overhaul it..

thank you for reporting the checks carefully..

G
Guy Croft, owner