My Lancia Delta Integrale 8V restoration project

Post pics of your car in here
samo

Re: My Lancia Delta Integrale 8V restoration project

Post by samo »

I had a small distributor party today! I changed 4 distributors and tried changing the phase to see if there will be any difference!

Of course there was no difference. Delta 8V, HF 4WD, Dedra 2.0 T, Delta 16V distributors all work exactlly the same.

Here is the video of how the car behaves...

http://youtu.be/ptWWvsAOtLU

So the list of parts that I changed: 2 x engine harness, 4 x distributors, 3 x ECU, spark plugs, 2 x TDC sensors, water temperature sensor, air temperature sensor, MAP sensor, throttle position sensor, knock sensor,....

The only thing that seem to have made any effect was the trigger wheel... But I am not sure what else to do there as you can't miss align it and it is the OE wheel for the 8v integrale.

Does anyone have a phone number from a good excorsist?
Attachments
Distributor pary.
Distributor pary.
20121031_135628 (Small).jpg (80.53 KiB) Viewed 13496 times
Limited edition #317
Honza
Location: Lomnice nad Popelkou (60 north from Prague), Czech Republic

Post by Honza »

just small idea, maybe already mentioned here - do you have correct wiring loom and ECU? sometimes you can find ECU wich is intendet in use with wiring loom with 2MAP senzors instead od 1... if you use ECU for 2 MAP with wiring loom for 1MAP the car will run, but nut corretly - it will suffer with mixture problems, reaching maximum alloved boost pressure..etc...

so bevare of mixing these two types ECU&wiring looms !
coxeey

Post by coxeey »

In reality the timing pully on the crank shaft can not be missaligned
Correct but the pointer can be set to the wrong place, cannot it? I seem to remember it has slots and it needs setting up as you do the build.
To check...
Using your wooden spoon, turn your engine to a bit before tdc and mark on your spoon its height (this is a fixed distance below TDC).
Measure the angle (or distance if you dont like angles) between the pointer and the mark on the pulley.
Now turn the engine past TDC until the spoon is at EXACTLY the same height as previously.
The piston should now be exactly the same distance below TDC as before.
Look again at the pulley mark and measure the angle between the pointer and the marker (or distance).
If it is the same but on the other side of the pointer then your spoon set up TDC correctly the first time.
If there is a difference between the two measurements then move the pointer to halfway between the first and second places and do this again until the pointer is seen to be midway between these points.
So now that your pulley mark/pointer is showing your pistons TDC, you can move the pulley midway between these places and it will line up with the pointer as TDC. Now check if you need to adjust your cam timing by looking at the cam marks and the timing cutouts as you did before.
If this was ok then at least you can cross it off your list.
Some of the above was (very roughly) a technique from Guys early book.

I have really enjoyed reading your thread (only recently read it) and can feel your joy and pain as I read through it. I have found I have an unidentified washer under one of my head bolts as well (because of your thread) so I have taken the head off again, mine is still on an engine stand so its not a problem.
Hope you get it running properly soon and let us all know what it is. Steve.
coxeey

Post by coxeey »

Dont know much about this but chipping in again...
My copy of the Lancia delta-prisma workshop manual (section 10 on Engine IAW injection/ignition P11) has a warning triangle that says...... Each type of injection control unit works with its own type of butterfly valve position sensor.
Are you changing the sensor to match the loom and control unit?
samo

Post by samo »

I have checked and all the sensors are original! And I have also tried replacing them one by one in various configurations.

But more or less I don't think this is a fuel injection issue. I have never seen a fuel related issue that would cause sutch rapid changes in rpm...

I received a note from Tom that it might be caused by an unequal gap between the 4 teeth on the trigger wheel and the sensor. As the gap should be 0,6 to 1,0 mm but the difference between the 4 gaps must be less than 0,2mm! Unfortunatly I haven't had enough time to check this as I am swamped at work. Also the weather is not suitable for driving anymore :(
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

Long time no see...

Finally an update. Car is still running as it was and I got to drive it in December for 2 weekends as the weather was so nice! Other than that I had a chance to get into a clearance sale and buy some goodies. Pictures bellow.
Attachments
I installed a battery conditioner to keep it ready for action.
I installed a battery conditioner to keep it ready for action.
20130106_155930 (Small).jpg (102.82 KiB) Viewed 12160 times
Clearance sale! I got some new parts like the expansion tank, boot gasket, seat belts.....
Clearance sale! I got some new parts like the expansion tank, boot gasket, seat belts.....
20130127_201610 (Small).jpg (100.76 KiB) Viewed 12160 times
Now that's not gonna do!
Now that's not gonna do!
20130128_152451 (Small).jpg (61.82 KiB) Viewed 12160 times
New boot gasket is sadly to short, so bottom quarter is from the old one!
New boot gasket is sadly to short, so bottom quarter is from the old one!
20130128_160952 (Small).jpg (97.45 KiB) Viewed 12160 times
That's not nice is it?
That's not nice is it?
20130128_162340 (Small).jpg (76.82 KiB) Viewed 12160 times
Spot the difference?
Spot the difference?
20130128_174947 (Small).jpg (92.58 KiB) Viewed 12160 times
New seat belt installed! No more sun faded, stretched and worn seat belts!
New seat belt installed! No more sun faded, stretched and worn seat belts!
20130128_172603 (Small).jpg (57.88 KiB) Viewed 12160 times
Limited edition #317
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Hi samo,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to share this monumental success with us. I own a 1989 16v integrale which I am attempting to get back onto the road and whilst searching for various bits of info stumbled across this forum only yesterday - I have read through all 21 pages! you are an inspiration. I hadn't considered this before, but I feel now that documenting the process of a refurbishment is both therapeutic (helping to keep moral up), a great reference for others and something to look back on given the highs and lows it creates. It is also handy to have all those images, especially the ones you wish you had taken as you stripped the shell (I am sure)...!

One question I have for you, where did you get the fibreglass fuel filler pipe shield from? mine has disintegrated and I was considering some panel beating given the part, like so many integrale bits, is unobtainable from Fiat?

Finally I'll offer an opinion, I think the face of an integrale consists of both the chrome grille and red trim, if you prefer the black look then cool - but see below...and thanks again for your hard work.
Attachments
The face of an integrale?
The face of an integrale?
grille.jpg (54.36 KiB) Viewed 12097 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Samo - if you need an exorcist call me

G
Attachments
GC.jpg
GC.jpg (60.69 KiB) Viewed 12090 times
Guy Croft, owner
samo

Post by samo »

@ Ricardo,

if you have any questions feel free to ask. I always try to help the best that I can. And thank you for the kind words, much appreciated.

The fiberglass fuel pipe shield was actually made for me by a friend of mine as it can't be bought anywhere. I can ask if he is interested in making another one and at what price. But I have to warn you that after he did mine he cursed me for the next 3 months...

My car currently has the polished "chrome" grill on it. The black one was just an experiment. The red trim is on my to do list. It am really having problems making myself pay 70€ for 2 tiny pieces of plastic.

@Guy - do you also offer exorcism over the phone/skype services? I tried praying but it didn't help so I am willing to go the extra mine :)

Joke aside I have a theory about what's wrong BUT I need to get the car back to the mechanics garage and for this I have to wait for the weather to clear.
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

Did some work last 2 weekends!
Attachments
I installed the "I have no idea what this does" oil splash guard on the intake cam carrier.
I installed the "I have no idea what this does" oil splash guard on the intake cam carrier.
20130202_125201 (Small).jpg (124.71 KiB) Viewed 12037 times
I also installed copper rings under the nuts holding the cam covers that I forgot to install previously and they leaked oil. I also installed a new badge on the cam box which I think looks briliant!
I also installed copper rings under the nuts holding the cam covers that I forgot to install previously and they leaked oil. I also installed a new badge on the cam box which I think looks briliant!
20130217_155037 (Small).jpg (111.04 KiB) Viewed 12037 times
I removed the speedo (again) because the "glass" had a nasty scratch.
I removed the speedo (again) because the "glass" had a nasty scratch.
20130217_160955 (Small).jpg (73.29 KiB) Viewed 12037 times
Before assembling anything I left the plastics to heat up a bit on the radiator. Cold plastic really cracks fast!
Before assembling anything I left the plastics to heat up a bit on the radiator. Cold plastic really cracks fast!
20130217_160925 (Small).jpg (58.51 KiB) Viewed 12037 times
Limited edition #317
coxeey

Post by coxeey »

Don't keep us in suspense, what are your thoughts on getting it revving ok?
Steve
samo

Post by samo »

@coxeey - I belive that the problem is my wobbly trigger wheel. Not sure why this would only impact some ECUs but I have to check it out. I ran out of other options.

Yesterday I finished the dash installation and I am really happy with the new cover that has no scratches.

Then I removed the windscreen as I want to install the original brown colored one. I got this windscreen on sale at a warehouse clearance. It's brand new, but unfortunately the mo.... that transported the windscreens just threw one on top of the other. And the windscreen on top of this one shattered and the glass shards trapped between this screen and the top one made a lot of nasty scratches.

BTW IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION ON WHERE TO GET THE FOIL THAT IS USED TO TINT THE WINDOWS PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP. I need the foil that goes between the two layers of glass! Not the aftermarket tuning boys stuff.
Attachments
Dash finished! After cursing myself never to take the dash apart I noticed that the 2 small screws that hold the rev counter are rusty... FAIL...
Dash finished! After cursing myself never to take the dash apart I noticed that the 2 small screws that hold the rev counter are rusty... FAIL...
20130223_161258 (Small).jpg (80.44 KiB) Viewed 12151 times
Brown and Green windscreens. Who thought that brown was more sporty???
Brown and Green windscreens. Who thought that brown was more sporty???
20130223_164403 (Small).jpg (80.76 KiB) Viewed 12151 times
:(
:(
20130223_164519 (Small).jpg (47.8 KiB) Viewed 12151 times
Air conditioning!
Air conditioning!
20130223_171035 (Small).jpg (97.73 KiB) Viewed 12151 times
Perfect time to clean the hard to reach top of the dash!
Perfect time to clean the hard to reach top of the dash!
20130223_171211 (Small).jpg (91.6 KiB) Viewed 12151 times
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

I finally installed the read grill inserts.

The only thing that everybody noticed that was missing.
Attachments
The red trim on the grill.
The red trim on the grill.
20130304181526.jpg (151.05 KiB) Viewed 12098 times
Retro style...
Retro style...
20130304181633.jpg (147.84 KiB) Viewed 12098 times
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

Now that the ice age has finally ended I returned to the garage!

Finished off the unfinished interior trim re-installation after the windscreen change.

I gave the interior a good cleaning and I did some tidying up.

After cranking the engine I noticed a strange gargling sound which was soon traced to be a lack of steering fluid in the tank. Not sure where it went but I guess I have a leak somewhere. Well another thing to add to my to-do list....
Attachments
Spring cleaning.
Spring cleaning.
20130413_173650 (Small).jpg (99.37 KiB) Viewed 11894 times
And a few hours later the car is ready for a quick drive around...
And a few hours later the car is ready for a quick drive around...
20130413_193718 (Small).jpg (113.18 KiB) Viewed 11894 times
Limited edition #317
coxeey

Post by coxeey »

[quote="samo"]Now that the ice age has finally ended I returned to the garage!

Yes, I know that feeling... warming up my engine wiring loom before I dare move it.

Just had another thought but I haven't read your older posts this year so you might already have checked this.

I had the wrong injectors in mine when I bought it (low resistance at 3 Ohms instead of the 13 Ohms, I think). I never ran it with these but it made me wonder if you should swap your injecors for testing purposes.
I know it doesn't sound likely but it's another straw to clutch.
Best of luck, Steve