My Lancia Delta Integrale 8V restoration project

Post pics of your car in here
samo

Re: My Lancia Delta Integrale 8V restoration project

Post by samo »

I have had a weeks vacation for the first time since November 2011 and I had some spare time and I made this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8JSjriGeko

For now the list of details to fix is as follows:
-ECU issue
-cracked front bumper
-green front windscreen instead of brown
-rear exhaust box
-leaking from the sump (i cracked it when re-shaping it)
-unidentified knock from the suspension
-driver's window has a nasty scratch and will need to be replaced
-and some other minor issues...
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

I had some work done over the weekend. I hope I finally fixed the clutch cable problem. As it is really annoying to keep putting the clutch cable back on the pedal at the side of the road.

Also the new grill surround is on. But I am not sure it will stay there as it is a bit too shiny for my taste.
Attachments
Apparently the groove for the C clip securing the Clutch cable was worn out.
Apparently the groove for the C clip securing the Clutch cable was worn out.
20120909_174357 (Medium).jpg (64.86 KiB) Viewed 12462 times
After it fell off the millionth time I chopped the peg off and installed a M8 bolt and now the cable is held on by a securing nut.
After it fell off the millionth time I chopped the peg off and installed a M8 bolt and now the cable is held on by a securing nut.
20120909_185855 (Medium).jpg (110.99 KiB) Viewed 12462 times
Not sure about the grill. Will take a picture outside on the sun.
Not sure about the grill. Will take a picture outside on the sun.
20120909_171250 (Medium).jpg (75.81 KiB) Viewed 12462 times
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

My latest theory that the ON ECU problems are caused by a wrong trigger wheel (driving pulley) seems to be wrong as I can't find any difference between in regards to trigger "teeth". We'll see, I have to get new bolts for the pulley.

I did manage to re-torque the head bolts today. I loosened each bolt, removed it, wiped it clean, installed new washer and re-tightened and re-torqued one by one. I used copper grease on the washers and oil on the threads.

Fingers crossed everything will be ok. After inspecting the washers I found only one is cracked. And it seems to be a clean crack trough one side. I can confirm now that I have had them galvanized! Most likely this caused the material to go brittle.
Attachments
Head getting oily... Please ignore the random wires. I have two engine harnesses in the engine bay at this time.
Head getting oily... Please ignore the random wires. I have two engine harnesses in the engine bay at this time.
20120912_180627 (Large).jpg (138.39 KiB) Viewed 12423 times
Lovely color of the copper grease on the washers.
Lovely color of the copper grease on the washers.
20120912_180634 (Large).jpg (122.11 KiB) Viewed 12423 times
Limited edition #317
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

"Fingers crossed everything will be ok. After inspecting the washers I found only one is cracked. And it seems to be a clean crack trough one side. I can confirm now that I have had them galvanized! Most likely this caused the material to go brittle"

If you have my Limited Edition book you should know this from the extensive section on fasteners!

G
Guy Croft, owner
samo

Post by samo »

The story of my head bolt washers is a simple mixup. As I bought my 12.9 grade bolts from Bielstein 3 years before actually starting to build the engine I noticed they came without washers so I took the washers from the OE bolts. But after stripping the car and tossing around the million of bolts, nuts and washers I had in various boxes, pots and jars I mixed them up for seat bolt washers and had them zinc plated. But as they came originally plated in black and I re-plated them in black I simply forgot about this.

A beginners mistake.

The interesting fact is that only one of the washers split! And I tried to brake the rest of the washers. It takes a strong strike with a chisel and a big hammer to brake it.

Does anyone know from the top of their head if the bolts for the auxiliary driving pulley are 8.8, 10.9 or 12.9 ? Mine seem to be bent and the hex heads are not in their best shape so I bought new 8.8 and 10.9 and I don't know which one to use.
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

Upon discovering I have a wrong trigger wheel and distributor I changed them over the weekend for the correct ones. Despite not being able spot a difference between them I changed them over anyways. But to my shock the car now decided to start and idle normally on the OE ECU. But upon taking the car out for a drive i discovered that car develops a miss-fire each time it reaches about 2800rpm. The engine still works normally with the 8V CAT ECU... I am totally lost now. Will have to dig even deeper.

Here is a photo of the car with the new grill. What do you think? Shiny or black grill?
Attachments
Shiny grill in place.
Shiny grill in place.
20120918_184356 (Large).jpg (150.13 KiB) Viewed 13226 times
Limited edition #317
Urbancamo

Post by Urbancamo »

There is never too much chrome in the car. You see cars with black body parts every day. And certain people in certain car models always change all factory shiny parts to dark ones as soon as they get the car.

So I vote for shiny grill because car is allready very dark. Chrome parts will add some contrast to it.
GC_25
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Which auxiliary pulley bolt?

The Integrale doesn't have an aux shaft.

G
Guy Croft, owner
samo

Post by samo »

Sorry about not being clear about my bolts&pulleys.

I was asking about the 4 bolts that are holding the multi-ribbed belt pulley to the cam belt pully. The hex bolts can be seen on the picture of the pulley I posted.

I found the info that they are only 8.8 grade and tightened to 2,8 dNm...
Attachments
"New" pulley and bolts.
"New" pulley and bolts.
20120916_132119 (Large).jpg (121.79 KiB) Viewed 13206 times
Limited edition #317
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I was asking about the 4 bolts that are holding the multi-ribbed belt pulley to the cam belt pully.

You mean the 4 bolts that hold the 'poly vee' pulley to the 'crankshaft'...!!

yes, 8.8 is right.

G
Guy Croft, owner
samo

Post by samo »

Another question I am afraid... Does anyone have a list of cassettes for the Magneti Marelli IAW testers? I borrowed one with a lot of cassetess but I don't know which one is for which!
Attachments
Old-school!
Old-school!
20120920_183538 (Large).jpg (187.47 KiB) Viewed 12232 times
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

After 2 weeks of fooling around with the tester and it's faulty cable I learned how to use it.

On the 2 ECUs that work I don't get any error messages. But on the OE ECU I get an error message when the revs hit the magic 2800 rpm. There still seems to be an issue with the cam position sensor.

Will try to do what the tester suggest to do... invert wires, change the sensor....
Attachments
Even the cat was interested if it will work or not!
Even the cat was interested if it will work or not!
20121007_152223 (Large).jpg (156.09 KiB) Viewed 12148 times
Also washed the car today as it really needed it.
Also washed the car today as it really needed it.
20121007_175613 (Large).jpg (154.86 KiB) Viewed 12148 times
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

I've been busy last couple of weeks trying to resolve the issue with the ECUs.

After changing all the sensors AGAIN i decided to check if the engine is in phase and I think it is OK.

Comments wellcome if you think this engine is phased OK or not. I know that my TDC determining method is primitive but when assembling the engine I did it the right way. And bare in mind that turning over the engine (even with the spark plugs out) by moving the car forward and backward is really difficult. I remember I when I was doing the valve clearences on my Skoda Favorit that even when it had the spark plugs in I could just lean on it and it turned over in high gear. Here because of all the added drag of mechanical drag it's more a case or rocking the car to make the engine move.
Attachments
Finding TDC with my super accurate DTI gauge.
Finding TDC with my super accurate DTI gauge.
20121017_183746 (Small).jpg (92.03 KiB) Viewed 12078 times
After TDC was determined I checked that the cams are in phase.
After TDC was determined I checked that the cams are in phase.
20121017_183819 (Small).jpg (84.54 KiB) Viewed 12078 times
The distributror arm lines up with the mark on the housing.
The distributror arm lines up with the mark on the housing.
20121017_183848 (Small).jpg (103.09 KiB) Viewed 12078 times
And the TDC mark on the pully is off by a 2-3 degrees only.
And the TDC mark on the pully is off by a 2-3 degrees only.
20121017_184017 (Small).jpg (111.09 KiB) Viewed 12078 times
Limited edition #317
timinator

Post by timinator »

No disrespect to your calibrated wooden spoon, but why aren't you setting the TDC mark on the crank pulley to the timing pointer on the block and then aligning the cams? It looks like you have room to put a thin socket on the crank pulley bolt to rotate the engine. If there isn't clearance machine down the outside dimension on the socket. With the plugs out it should not be that hard to turn. Or is there something not shown in the picture to keep this from happening?
samo

Post by samo »

timinator wrote:No disrespect to your calibrated wooden spoon, but why aren't you setting the TDC mark on the crank pulley to the timing pointer on the block and then aligning the cams? It looks like you have room to put a thin socket on the crank pulley bolt to rotate the engine. If there isn't clearance machine down the outside dimension on the socket. With the plugs out it should not be that hard to turn. Or is there something not shown in the picture to keep this from happening?
After I did what I did I also went the other way around as you suggest. I set the timing pully to align with the TDC mark and then checked the other stuff.... In reality the timing pully on the crank shaft can not be missaligned as it is on a cog and the same story is with the distributor. The only thing you can miss is timing between the cams and the crank.

I agree that turning over the engine by itself is easier. But I there is only 1mm of clearance ant machining the socket could be difficult. If the car is on a lift and the wheels are off you can use the allen bolt to turn the engine over but here I just had the car in the garage, no lift and limited space around as it was raining outside.
Attachments
TDC aligned
TDC aligned
20121017_184451 (Small).jpg (124.06 KiB) Viewed 12044 times
Cams aligned.
Cams aligned.
20121017_184555 (Small).jpg (82.67 KiB) Viewed 12044 times
Limited edition #317