Air Filter/s for Race Use

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
dvv

Post by dvv »

Dynodave wrote:Those ram pipes look too close to the inner wing on cylinders 2&3 to run any filtering system except filter socks.
Are the length of those ram pipes critical ?.Do you loose much power with shorter rams ?
In my experience filter socks loose around 6 bhp on a 200bhp engine.(new ones )
Absolutely not, Dave. In fact, the REAL fun starts at around 5.000 rpm. That's when the camshaft really kicks in, and what happens, is, well, magic.

A few basics so we know what we're talking about. That's a Fiat 159A block, 86.4x63.9 mm, 1,580 cc. It has been ripped apart and put together with exemplary care by the two guys you can see in one of the pictures. One is Uros Piperski, a genius for mechanics, and the other curly one is Nikola Radenkovic. He is currently emplyed by Bosch in Stuttgart, Advanced Electronic Fuel Injection Systems division. As we speak his own ECU and management systems have become the recommended upgrade for Ford Cosworth engine, although it's a Weber/Marelli ECU extensively reworked electrically and in software in particular. If anyone reads Ford Perfomrmance mags, he will have seen texts about that one.

Well, beside the test version for Cosworth, one of them is sitting in my engine bay and is feeding that engine. The four butterflies are basically by Bing of Germany, but have been modded with Dellorto flaps, which have been lightened. Injectors are by Bosch Motor Sport, and the plenum was by BMW, and is now by BMW, Uros Piperski and Yugo_Turbo (a.k.a. as Sale), who had to cut it to enlarge it.

The cam has a nominal angle of 288 degrees, however, at 0.1 mm, and since it's sitting there at 0.25 mm, I would guess its actual angle is more like 275 or so. However, the valve lift is 10.45 mm, and speaking of valves, the intake valve has been upgraded from 36 to 40 mm.

Our aim is 150 HP. We think we should make it. If I can restrain them, because I wanted and want a GT, not a racing car, and they keep asking for racing car parts. This should power a completely reworked Yugo, curb weight just 820 kilos, or, more realistically, with me sitting in it, 935 kilos. With 150 HP, I have something like 6.23 kg/HP, a creditable result.

In practice, with just an approximate map inside, just so the car will go, it managed 0-170 km/h (app.103 mph) in some 17 seconds, with two people in it (app. 50% of allowed payload). This would imply 0-62 mph in around 6.8 seconds, and shows that the butterflies are in no way restrictive. Please note, these are rough measurements, not precise at all, we'll do precision when the mapping is done.

Up to say 3.500 rpm, the engine pulls, but it's nothing to write home about. The fun starts above 4.000 rpm and way until the limiter kicks in, at 8.000 rpm. That car is extremely powerful, it seems to want to go way beyond.

Frankly, I can't wait for it to be returned after mapping (sigh!).

thank you,
Dejan V. Veselinovic (DVV)
Last edited by dvv on September 4th, 2006, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dvv

Post by dvv »

In line with what GC said above, the air filter will be placed in a separate, sealed from the engine bay plastic box of its own. There will be perforations on the hood and a small scoop, so as to use a bit of the ram air effect. The filter cone, by the way, is Raid of Germany.

Obviously, this also means a MUCH shorter connecting hose from filter to plenum, something like 35-40 cm (14-18").

It cannot go front beacuse the entire, and by "entire" I mean literally 99% of the available grill area is used up by an aluminium radiator for the engine and an added engine oil radiator. The same model, made by Valeo of France, is used in Lancia turbo engines. On the one hand, they sit one alongside the other as if the the space was designed precisely for just that, but on the other hand, there are no available openings for anything else.

thank you,
DVV
Uros Piperski

Post by Uros Piperski »

sumplug wrote:Won't the filter at the back have no direct cold feed? Would it not be better to trunk it round to the front of the engine bay to get direct Ram Air? Seems you have plenty of room for it. The build looks excellent by the way.

Andy.
It's not so bad, intake temperature around 25 deg C.

Uros
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

This thread was about air filtration for twin carburettors.

That's been answered comprehensively, and yes there have been some useful posts but now it is time to start a new thread, we are way beyond the original topic. The usefulness of the forum & search facilty diminishes hugely if the thread goes far beyond its brief. I'd rather have 10 topics which are specific-to-task than one with masses of detail which is only indirectly related.

If the original poster contacts me with detail of the final setup that can go in but apart that the topic is locked.

GC