My Lancia Delta Integrale 8V restoration project

Post pics of your car in here
samo

My Lancia Delta Integrale 8V restoration project

Post by samo »

Hello everbody,

Here I will try to present my restauration project. It is still not finished but at this stage I am assembling the engine so I have a few questions every week. I will post pictures as time permits.

Please bear with me if I miss type something, English is my second language!
Attachments
It was love at first sight. And YES the colour was as bad as it looks.
It was love at first sight. And YES the colour was as bad as it looks.
1 (4).jpg (100.87 KiB) Viewed 26880 times
Limited edition #317
samo

Re: My Lancia Delta Integrale 8V restoration project

Post by samo »

After a few months of dancing around the car with a screwdriver I took out the real tools and begun dismanteling the car.
Attachments
rear inner wheelarches looked like this
rear inner wheelarches looked like this
PA120127.JPG (101.17 KiB) Viewed 26868 times
My sill's looked like the bad side of Titanic
My sill's looked like the bad side of Titanic
PA300156.JPG (89.78 KiB) Viewed 26868 times
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

Since this story is too long to try to post it all here I will now just show you a few pictures...
Attachments
First wisit to the body shop!
First wisit to the body shop!
DSC00105.JPG (87.87 KiB) Viewed 26850 times
After getting the car back from the body shop I spent a few hours finishing the details like cleaning the wheel arches...
After getting the car back from the body shop I spent a few hours finishing the details like cleaning the wheel arches...
DSC00732.JPG (129.58 KiB) Viewed 26850 times
And I found this underneath!
And I found this underneath!
DSC00735.JPG (82.65 KiB) Viewed 26850 times
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

After that I promissed myself that I will do all that's neccessary to get the car to bare metal to avoid any surprises.
Attachments
I spent one whole summer under the car with a burner, scraper and I removed all the underseal.
I spent one whole summer under the car with a burner, scraper and I removed all the underseal.
DSC00518.JPG (104.22 KiB) Viewed 26850 times
All the sealant on all the joints has been removed (grey areas on this picture).
All the sealant on all the joints has been removed (grey areas on this picture).
guljenje9.jpg (107.1 KiB) Viewed 26850 times
I have had the car sandblasted. This is the 2-pack primer.
I have had the car sandblasted. This is the 2-pack primer.
DSC02749.JPG (123.91 KiB) Viewed 26850 times
Limited edition #317
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

A proper job, well done you. I know the work you've been through, it is worth it.

Nik
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

MODEL POST!

I do admire these bare-metal restorations, I did one once on a Mini Cooper so I know too how much work it is and that was a very small car.

The Integrale must count (in my view) as one of the more 'worthy' restorations given the extraordinary provenance of these incredible cars (what was it - 9 times World Champion??) and it's fantastic to see these in-depth projects here. But - I can't believe how they rusted/rotted.

Well done indeed. I'm especially impressed with the way you have photographed and captioned your work..

G
samo

Post by samo »

Thank you.

I have a lot more pictures but it's time consumming to upload them. So if anyone is interested on seeing the complete story it's published here http://forum.Alfa-klub.com/viewtopic.php?t=18646

You won't understand much as it is in Slovene but the pictures tell the story. I hope the link doesnt violate the site protocols? It's not a commercial site, no popups ...

So after 3 years of non stop work, metal repairs, cleaning the car, scraping off the sealant, 2 trips to the body shop and a sand-blasting session the car was ready for painting. Since I stareted this project seriously I have had the car professionaly sprayed because I didn't want to bodge it myself.

I belive integrales (together with HF4WD and EVO1) had won 6 manufacturest WRC's. And elthou they retired from racing in 91 (or 92) they still hold the record for most wins which is incredible. I allways say that the only thing faster than an integrale is the rust on the integrale. Sadly Italians decided in the 80's to make cars from recycled "white tin"- that's recycled white appliances. So 80's and 90's integrales (and other Italian cars) are in fact 60's and 70's washing machines and refrigirators.
Attachments
The lower screen surrounds were lead loaded. Integrales flex at this point and fillers crack.
The lower screen surrounds were lead loaded. Integrales flex at this point and fillers crack.
DSC01011 (Large).JPG (72.26 KiB) Viewed 26815 times
Half finished process.
Half finished process.
DSC01012 (Large).JPG (68.73 KiB) Viewed 26815 times
Next the stone chip protection was applied. A special thin protection was used. Note the clever "roasting" jig.
Next the stone chip protection was applied. A special thin protection was used. Note the clever "roasting" jig.
DSC02789 (Large).JPG (117.07 KiB) Viewed 26815 times
This is the primer filler (spray on filler !?) Looks good in flat black :)
This is the primer filler (spray on filler !?) Looks good in flat black :)
DSC01237 (Large).JPG (103.33 KiB) Viewed 26815 times
Limited edition #317
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

I've just been right through that link and can only confirm what I've already said, a proper job, better than Lancia made.

As for that roller, my dreams are made of stuff like that :-)
samo

Post by samo »

@1NRO-thank you. I hope you enjoyed the pictures.

So after 3 years of hard work and a few thousand hours spent on the chassis the car was finally painted and I was astounded by the work that was done. I did go for the best (and most expencive) expert I could find that has experience with oldtimers. He was also the only one who said that before taking on sutch a project he wants to see the car if it is prepaired up to his standards. When he arrived he told me that he's sick and tired of people ringing him for a quote for a paintjob but they forget to mention that half of the car is missing. And halfway trough his explonation he made a quick check of the body repairs, enquired me about my intentions with this car, history of the car, my history, checked that i am a proper car fanatic and a genuine oldtimer lover (I belive he considered me too young to be serious)... but then he bent over and looked underneath the car. He stopped talking and crawled under the car and then spent 30 minutes there in silence. And then he said that he rarlely see's someone clean the car so well.
Attachments
Colour is the original NERO METALIC
Colour is the original NERO METALIC
DSC03332 (Large).JPG (107.6 KiB) Viewed 26749 times
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

Some more pics of the painted car. This was a turning point in the project as I knew that I finished tearing things apart and I shall start the assembyl (or so i tought).
Attachments
DSC03318 (Large).JPG
DSC03318 (Large).JPG (97.65 KiB) Viewed 26745 times
DSC03322 (Large).JPG
DSC03322 (Large).JPG (86.49 KiB) Viewed 26745 times
DSC03324 (Large).JPG
DSC03324 (Large).JPG (71.07 KiB) Viewed 26745 times
DSC03328 (Large).JPG
DSC03328 (Large).JPG (93.19 KiB) Viewed 26745 times
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

After getting the car back from the paint shop the assembly begun!
Attachments
First the electrical instalation has been returned to it's place and then I had to make new isolation padding because the original has disintegrated.
First the electrical instalation has been returned to it's place and then I had to make new isolation padding because the original has disintegrated.
DSC01600.JPG (134 KiB) Viewed 26251 times
I bought a brand new carpet to get the "factory" fresh look. The dashboard and center console have been installed.
I bought a brand new carpet to get the "factory" fresh look. The dashboard and center console have been installed.
26052010243-1.jpg (159.3 KiB) Viewed 26251 times
Various bits are beeing returned to their original places. All the brackets, nuts and bolts have been zync-plated again.
Various bits are beeing returned to their original places. All the brackets, nuts and bolts have been zync-plated again.
DSC04272.JPG (111.7 KiB) Viewed 26251 times
Limited edition #317
tricky

Post by tricky »

Wow that really looks something, the highest of respects to you sir.
Twice as many valves
samo

Post by samo »

Thank you!

This is my first project of this sort and I belive the last, since I have been threatend with decapitation by my wife :) Since this is primarly an engine building site I have only posted a few pictures of the chassis build.
Attachments
Rear differential before the renewal.
Rear differential before the renewal.
DSC04351.JPG (130.77 KiB) Viewed 26218 times
Disassembeld, washed, checked, measured components.
Disassembeld, washed, checked, measured components.
15092010351.jpg (115.63 KiB) Viewed 26218 times
New rotary seals, o-rings and diff carrier sandblasted and powder coated. Note the long 225mm M10 fine thread screws 10.9 hardnes for rear arms. I had these custom made because they can not be bought anywhere!
New rotary seals, o-rings and diff carrier sandblasted and powder coated. Note the long 225mm M10 fine thread screws 10.9 hardnes for rear arms. I had these custom made because they can not be bought anywhere!
05102010369.jpg (101.69 KiB) Viewed 26218 times
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

I am building the engine to be driver friendly with as much torque as possible, because I belive the dyno queens with huge graphs are only good for bar showin off. So I am not expecting huge power. The car will not be raced as I shall try to take care of it and keep it in as original state as possible.

Engine configuration:

-block & crank on 1st regrind
-king bi-metal bearings
-woessner forged pistons
-Garrett T385
-inlet manifold with 16V integrale throttle body
-spesso headgasket (one-piece with integrated fire rings)
-12,9 non stretch head bolts
-F/L 2.0 i.e. NA intake camshaft
-dyno&remap

The crank with the 1st regrind is an experiment of sorts. I know that they shoul not be regrind ever but I have had the crank tested for surface hardness by a reputable engine shop and they graded it as "above average" in hardness (don't remeber the numbers unfortunatley). I have also seen a similar setup engine with 3rd regrind and Fiat Tipo TD bearing which refuzes to die despite beeing abused on a race track. All the components have been measured, checked, re-checked, cleaned in gasoline, degreased, power washed with hot water, air line dried... I am trying my best to make a clean built. Crank has had the plugs removed. All the block oil lines cleaned and I even had the balance shaft center bearings replaced with new items. Aslo conrods small end bushings have been replaced and the oil pump renewed. So there should be good oil pressure and no contamination. I followed the strict guidelines for cleaning the bores with ATF, piston rings gaped properly...

So I shall wait and see how it goes. Anyways if you have any ideas on how to make good torque witouth chasing high BHP i am opened to suggestions.
Attachments
Piston gaping to 0,3 mm.
Piston gaping to 0,3 mm.
DSC04375.JPG (108.18 KiB) Viewed 26210 times
Crankshaft preparation.
Crankshaft preparation.
24092010361.jpg (83.02 KiB) Viewed 26210 times
Crank instalation for final end float measurements (0,1mm). Crank can be turned by hand witouth problems. If rotated by hand it continues to rotate approx. half turn by itself (that is crank only!)
Crank instalation for final end float measurements (0,1mm). Crank can be turned by hand witouth problems. If rotated by hand it continues to rotate approx. half turn by itself (that is crank only!)
DSC04394 (Large).JPG (142.92 KiB) Viewed 26210 times
Piston & conrod pairing.
Piston & conrod pairing.
DSC04392 (Large).JPG (124.55 KiB) Viewed 26210 times
Limited edition #317
tricky

Post by tricky »

The crankcase certainly looks clean enough, as for high torque usual tuning tequniques apply.

Which con rods are they samo ? they don't look as if they have the stampings of the Fiat / Lancia origianals.
Twice as many valves