Supercharging, turbocharging, charge cooling
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Site Admin
- Posts: 5031
- Joined: June 18th, 2006, 9:31 am
- Location: Lincoln, UK
Showing steps in the rebuild of the low pressure supercharger used on the Lancia Volumex (Vx) unit. (The 'MM' prefix with the photos is the client's initials)
- Rotors, main casing and front, rear housings after decarbonising, dressing and beadblasting, ready for Xylan coating.
- MM Vx parts cleaned.jpg (108.13 KiB) Viewed 11435 times
- Internal parts pre-cleaned, gears, thrust washers, nuts etc
- a 058.jpg (115.66 KiB) Viewed 11418 times
- End covers and rotors coated with Xylan 1010 conductive polymer, this gives lower friction, quieter running and reduced clearances/better performance and less power loss.
- a 062.jpg (111.85 KiB) Viewed 11395 times
- New rear seals oiled lightly on outer diameter and ...
- a 064.jpg (118.08 KiB) Viewed 11390 times
- ...gently pushed into place by hand using a special drift, they must sit square and sit right in their machined recess.
- a 065.jpg (117.66 KiB) Viewed 11366 times
- ..whereas the front seals need a bit of help from the press after initial location by hand, again oiled on OD or they will never go in properly and likely end up torn (and leaky)
- a 066.jpg (114.4 KiB) Viewed 11353 times
- A press, and modest pressure with a decent mandrel needed to seat the front seals.
- a 067.jpg (115.97 KiB) Viewed 11332 times
- Remove the inner sleeve and oil the OD of the rear bearings and press in gently down to their seat, nice and square.
- a 068.jpg (107.88 KiB) Viewed 11324 times
- Rear bearings fitted, sleeves refitted, they should turn freely if the brgs are fitted properly. I like to have the number code facing out so you can see what's in there..
- a 069.jpg (119.63 KiB) Viewed 11311 times
- Here is the front bearing, an SKF four-point contact type that I have had precision-reworked to 'C2' close axial tolerance. Position one inner sleeve in the front casing and ...
- MM_01 Vx rebuild 001.jpg (117.74 KiB) Viewed 11291 times
- One front bearing pressed into place
- MM_01 Vx rebuild 003.jpg (115.58 KiB) Viewed 11279 times
- With both bearings fitted and their outer sleeves installed the bearing retaining plate can be fitted, fit new spring washers and tighten the M6 nuts to 8lbf ft.
- MM_01 Vx rebuild 007.jpg (116.82 KiB) Viewed 11273 times
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest