How big Accusump is needed for a 2 liter?

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
torkil

How big Accusump is needed for a 2 liter?

Post by torkil »

Have now build a new bigger sump ,for my X1/9 ,Extremy upset not to get things right this time,Iam on my 3 Crankchaft ,despite all reading all about trapdoors and oil aretation ,this problems has followed mee since 1963 in alltype off cars,

Well i supose i take one more go before i drysump the car , The car has now extreme roadholding ,but i will improve that to.

But at last i will try accu sump ,has been reading all about that in GC books , But how big 1 quarts or two? OVE
GC_41
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: How big Accusump is needed for a 2 liter?

Post by Guy Croft »

Ove..

the size of the accumulator depends on how long the engine is likely to be starved of oil not just the size of the engine. I would use a 2 quart on your unit unless you are doing long circuit with long turns in which case 3 qt.

Crank problems:

1. Have you unplugged the crank and cleaned it out?
2. You must not grind the 2 liter cranks
3. Have you modified the oilways GC style? Sharp edges after that work will tear the bearings.
4. If you are using OE rods this could be the problem or at least part of it. They go 'out-of-round' (oval) very quickly especially at race speeds and this loses oil pressure at the rod. This is one very good reason for using race rods.

There is no real reason to suspect the oil pump to be the cause of the problem.

I do think the sump capacity is rather small and there is not much room for an effective baffle system.

G
Guy Croft, owner
torkil

Post by torkil »

Thanks mr Croft, I will do that.
GC_41
torkil

Post by torkil »

Guy Croft wrote:Ove.. 1Yes Have unplugged
3Yed have modified oilwaus ,no sharp egdes,
4 Yes Race rods .No regrinds . But is is pity to sit with 2 fine cranks , and nothin can bee repaired,

the size of the accumulator depends on how long the engine is likely to be starved of oil not just the size of the engine. I would use a 2 quart on your unit unless you are doing long circuit with long turns in which case 3 qt.

Crank problems:

1. Have you unplugged the crank and cleaned it out?
2. You must not grind the 2 liter cranks
3. Have you modified the oilways GC style? Sharp edges after that work will tear the bearings.
4. If you are using OE rods this could be the problem or at least part of it. They go 'out-of-round' (oval) very quickly especially at race speeds and this loses oil pressure at the rod. This is one very good reason for using race rods.

There is no real reason to suspect the oil pump to be the cause of the problem.

I do think the sump capacity is rather small and there is not much room for an effective baffle system.

G
GC_41