Tipo 16v Race Car production Modified

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Rich Ellingham

Post by Rich Ellingham »

Hi, yes I finished, a shame I didn't get it on the video as we were sat on the grid after the race was red flagged, we were there 20min so I ran out of tape. I cheered myself over the line I was glad that myself and the car finished in one bit.

I think with some suspension investment and more experience it could be fairly competitive, in a straight line it holds its own against more powerful cars fairly well, but the suspension is letting it down; thats purely financial.

It was good fun albeit somewhat nerve racking going out for qualifying having never driven the car at speed before, and never been on the circuit before.

Next stop silverstone, in 2 weeks.

Rich
book 38
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

Hi Rich.
Well done on your first race. Its all about learning, and it must of been fun to finally get it out on the circuit. Sorry i couldn't make it on Saturday.
Good luck on your next race.

Andy.
Rich Ellingham

Post by Rich Ellingham »

Well second race has been raced and completed, finished in one bit - just.
Video of warm up and first lap and a bit, please save it to watch it (right click>save target as).

http://www.otto-bock.co.uk/html/silverS ... ostEnd.wmv

Last edited by Rich Ellingham on October 11th, 2006, 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
book 38
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Well done Rich,

the car looks very striking in that nice blue colour. What is it like to drive (performance/braking/handling)?
Are you enjoying racing? What is the series and what other cars are out there?

GC
Julian

Post by Julian »

Guy Croft wrote:Well done Rich,

the car looks very striking in that nice blue colour. What is it like to drive (performance/braking/handling)?
Are you enjoying racing? What is the series and what other cars are out there?

GC
I can't speak for Rich on the handling (he has had a few interesting moments on the track) but it certainly goes well.

The series is the BRSCC/LMA Eurosaloons - the same one that I run in.

Other cars vary from 90s supertourers (primarily Hondas and Nissans), the occasional sports car (Ferraris, Nobles, etc), a variety of hot hatches in various levels of tune down to the "road saloons" class where the car is essentially just stock with the addition of a roll-cage, fire extinguisher and electrical master cut switch.
Rich Ellingham

Post by Rich Ellingham »

So, the car raced and worked well, but there was no doubting something was amiss. Having to short shift to overtake in 4th was a nuisance, and only having 2lb/ft more torque then std seemed to indicate that maybe I'm missing something. Guy informed me that a lower spec Tipo unit produced more then mine back in the 90's without a custom ECU map. So with the season over there are couple of tasks to be done, one of them was to look into the potential engine issue.

Initial impressions pointed to the injectors being over size, quite probable as they are from the turbo unit. The injection multiplier had to be drawn back to compensate and prevent over fueling and idle pulse width was non-existent. Luckily I had kept the std Tipo Injectors (Weber IW033) which with a clean increase flow by 9%, and were evenly matched.

Phil swapped these in situ, so he could start the mapping firstly by ensuring a clean idle then onto the main power mapping combining some so comparative runs and some constant rpm mapping. There was insufficient advance almost everywhere and the ignition map required close attention. Guy anticipated way back the the engine should produce significant torque with a flat top end 6k-7k.

The result Phil showed me have bought a smile to my face, ported inlets, valveseats and valve modifications, with a Colombo medium street inlet cam have shown what can be achieved with a mild spec StII Twin cam 16v. But he failed to notice the blown head gasket pressurrising the coolant system.

(graph uploaded by GC)

Numbers for the number lovers -
New BHP 184.5 old 166bhp
New torque 178 lbf ft!! old 144lbf ft
at 5000rpm there's now 40 bhp more!
Just like Crofty said.....
Attachments
GG Motorsport, Horncastle Lincs dyno plot - blue is new torque, red new bhp. Black are the old ones.
GG Motorsport, Horncastle Lincs dyno plot - blue is new torque, red new bhp. Black are the old ones.
tipopowergraph.jpg (85.02 KiB) Viewed 21689 times
Last edited by Rich Ellingham on September 3rd, 2011, 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Walezy

Post by Walezy »

I have simmilar 16v engine in my Fiat 131 and I use turbo injectors, maybe that is the point that I do not get too good results. I will need to change it and see if it gets any better.
Honza
Location: Lomnice nad Popelkou (60 north from Prague), Czech Republic

Post by Honza »

hello Rich
I have one short question - I can see, that you have larger throtle body - what diameter , or what car is it originaly from?

I‚´m collecting some useful informations before I start "second level" of modifying my engine.
Vic11

Post by Vic11 »

Dear Rich,

I am also very interested what throtle body you used. Can you please let us know. I came to the stage when I want to put the right throtle bode like you have on your engine.

thank you in advance.
Rich Ellingham

Post by Rich Ellingham »

Hi it is a jaguar XJ6 throttle body. It is too large for the application and has no benefit. Std throttle will be large enough for mild naturally aspirated use. For more significant power you would need to go to individual throttle bodies on a DCOE type manifold as I am now planning to do.

rich
book 38
Colin Haggett

Throttle bodies

Post by Colin Haggett »

I use Jenvey throttle bodies now with ITG air filter.

The picture was taken before the throttle linkage was installed.

My old Weber Alpha setup.
Darrian T90
Rich Ellingham

Post by Rich Ellingham »

Hi, currently struggling to fit the bodies in the space, even though Jenvey make a 30mm twin in 42mm they only supply a Carbon air horn of 50mm length, which is too to long for the airbox I intend going to use. There will be answer somewhere.

Regards

Rich
book 38
Colin Haggett

Ram pipes

Post by Colin Haggett »

Hi Rich Ellingham, Pipercross make ram pipe trumpets that fit Jenvey throttle bodies. As the bodies are based on Weber DCOE's you should find some to fit, Mine aren't that long.
Attachments
Engine showing ram pipes.
Engine showing ram pipes.
Engine out.jpg (30.46 KiB) Viewed 18580 times
Darrian T90
Rich Ellingham

Re: Tipo 16v Race Car production Modified

Post by Rich Ellingham »

After a poor season last year the engine has been rebuilt by Guy to a higher spec, including full race Colombo cams. The plan was to move to an Independent Throttle body set up (ITB's), with an air box. Gear box was to be rebuilt using a Bacci syncro kit and race ratios (Higher 1st and 2nd gears, lower 4th and 5th, with a plate type LSD).

Fitting the throttle would have been no problem if the inlet ports were on the front of the engine, however they are on the rear. And being a right hand drive car the brake servo and throttle linkage all proved to be very close to the engine.
In hindsight I should have waited to get the engine installed then taken measurements on what actual space I had. Never the less the Motor Sport suppliers being who they are always bad for keeping to delivery times so I had to estimate the space. I did this by measuring the std manifold/plenum, and deciding that was roughly the maximum size. Original plan was to use a GC DCOE manifold and weld on the injector bosses to the near std position, however it is advantageous to get the injectors as far out board as I could. Unfortunately I could see not reasonable way to get them upstream of the throttle plates. What I settled on was the mounting of small Weber PICO injectors on the short bodies, using ram pipe extensions to clear the fuel rail and then mount the air box back plate behind that. See diagram (note the air temp sensor in the back plate of the air box - this is an M14 X 1.5 thread into some 3/8" aluminium secured with 2xM8 Bolts, loctite was used to ensure an air seal). Throttles are 40mm DCOE shaftless from Active Technologies - who have great customer service and come recommended.

To fit the bodies I had to grind down some M8 Cap heads to clear the profile on the injector bosses. Guy tested the bodies at full throttle on 10" depression, 40mm body flowed 150.1 CFM. Back on the car the PAS reservoir and brake fluid reservoir had to be moved further up the firewall, I did this by cutting some thick aluminium angle and mounting the items to that, and purchased new Brake reservoir hoses (Sytec/AP) to allow re-attachment to the brake line and PAS pump (Do not use oil hose for brake fluid the hydrophilic nature of brake fluid draws water through the hose, you know if this happens if the hoses gain a condensation on the outside of them).

Fitting the fuel rail into the fuel system had me confused for a while wondering how do I get a -6 AN fitting onto my banjo equipped OE fuel return line (the supply line already had a -6 braided nitrile hose which came from the fuel filter), after thinking about this for many hours I actually went and looked at the hose and noticed there was actually 4 inches or flexible rubber hose; I went to the local hydraulics supplier and they swaged a -6 female swivel on. The fuel system is now regulated by a fuel lab adjustable pressure regulator and uses a 45 degree female-female bulk head fitting underneath to get the correct angle onto the return line. (A new fuel level sender was also installed).

The GC manifold had an M14 1.5 take off for the servo, I used this with a M14 to -8 adapter then to a 135 degree -8 push on fitting to some aeroquip 1525 hose to connect to the flame arrestor on the brake servo. Fittings were from Think automotive.

The throttle linkage was a pain - I had to re-solder a cable nipple to the OE Fiat cable (silver solder) to get enough tension in it, and the standard car has an additional pivot on the cable by the firewall - really it is an overly complicated design which was simplified in the later Fiat brava/bravo models. The fire extinguisher nozzle also had to be moved to come near the injector rail.

I am now using a distributorless wasted spark set up from a Fiat coupe turbo, made my own brackets to fit near the old distributor position
Close up
Complete view - to coin one of GC's terms 'a handsome unit' not that GC ever paints his cam covers - I did that properly this time using acid etch primer too.

For interest the gearbox was converted to cable operation using new internal selector and external controls from Alfa Romeo 146 1.6 TS Gamma 97. The gear lever is from a coupe and had to be modified with a ball stud attachment (10mm ball M6 thread I have loads spare if anyone needs some) to get the cables to work.

Really it was a pig of a job to do with a lot of guess work regarding parts. All because I wanted the gear lver closer to the steering wheel - a common club racer modification assuming you have a cable shift.

I was unhappy with the wiring it was far too messy and complicated - yes it worked but I needed it tidied and wanted it to look more professional so it was completely re-done including the engine sensors. Dash panels were re-made in carbon sheet, and labelled up.
Fuses are now ETA thermo re-settable trips.

Exhaust was re-made by OJZ engineering in mandrel bent stainless, a fantastic job, flange was CNC cut.

edit - piper cross air box literally fell apart, very poor, total waste of money. Replaced with superior Reverie box and integral KandN filter superior in everyway but twice the price. Incidentally Reverie make a direct replacment for the commonly self destruction piper cross PX600 series air boxes.

edit- Rear negative camber added but overboring rear arms on new axis and making new over sized stub axle, made by my good friend and fellow racer Martin Price at Bidgecraft engineering.
Lydden 2010
Anglesey 2010
calipers added 2011, AP Cp5100
Last edited by Rich Ellingham on April 9th, 2013, 6:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.
biz

Re: Tipo 16v Race Car production Modified

Post by biz »

VERY impressive rich!

Guy once again hats off to one gorgeous looking and i know it will sound nice!

Whats the spec now? (Torque and hp wise)
Was alot more low down torque needed from the previous engine you raced with?

I hope i can build my Uno Turbo to a soild standard like your tipo
Good luck with coming races i hope i can catch you at an event!