Modifying a Montecarlo S2

Post pics of your car in here
Pietrottov

Modifying a Montecarlo S2

Post by Pietrottov »

Hi all,

Am in the proces of figuring out what to do with my pristine Montecarlo S2. Have got some options but not sure what route to take. Therefore various questions spring to my mind which i hope can be answered with the vast expertise overhere.

1) 130 TC head with 130 TC cams, CSC-header and Montehospital stainless steel sportexhaust, standard Weber 34 DATR carburettor. Will this work, problem is what to do with ignition (is on inletmanifold) and can it run on unleaded fuel.

2) 130 TC head with 130 TC cams, CSC-header and Montehospital stainless steel exhaust, Alquati-manifold and pair of 40 DCNF-carburettors. Have done some reading overhere and problems seem to be that 40's on a standard 2.0 L TC aren't the best choice, and linkage problems.

3) Keeping everything bog standard, and just enjoy the car as it was built. Only mods being CSC-header and Montehospital exhaust. Does the standard head needs modifying for unleaded fuel?

Hoping for some advice, thanks in advance, Pietro
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Modifying a Montecarlo S2

Post by Guy Croft »

(3) conversion for unleaded needed? No - categorically not.

G
LanciaNut69

Post by LanciaNut69 »

Hi Pietro,

Welcome and great choice of car by the way! I would go for option 3 - enjoy the car and get to know it. When you're used to it you'll be in a better position to decide on what mods are more important to you, ie better brakes, firmer handling, or a better breathing engine.

Hope this helps!

Darren
Book #435
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

A car can only be original once. Try finding a good original car, most are modified and maybe later put back to standard. All in all, the compromise made to the standard car is well thought over by the factory and usually makes a lot of sense. There may be "improvements" possible, but a lot of modifications really aren't helpful to the total package of the car for the purpose it was designed for. Be careful what you change, why you do it and what the consequences are of the changes and don't only look at the perceived benefits.

On the other hand, it's your car, if you want to paint it pink and put a Chevy big block V8 in it, that's your choice and right. That being said, I hope your fine taste isn't going to let that happen, after all you bought a Montecarlo, so you should know better.

Putting 40 carbs on a stock 2.0 should work just fine, providing you don't go over the top with the diameter of the chokes. If you put 28mm chokes in, you should be fine. Probably, you would benefit from anything up to 32mm here, but ask Guy about that, he knows best I think. Getting a ported head with slightly faster cams might warrant getting 34mm chokes, or even 45 carbs with 34 or 36 chokes in them I think?
Book #348
Pietrottov

Post by Pietrottov »

Hi all, thanks for responding.

I drove the car from 37.000 km till 52.000 km in standard configuration.

Then headgasket blew, so i opted to install a revised 130TC head with 130 TC cams. I bought an Alquati manifold with twin 40 DCNF's, but at the mo only the intakemanifold is bolted on.

As time passed by, the project was stopped for some time. Now i'm having second thougts on wether to go on, go through the hassle of making the gaslever work (needs modifying to get full throttle), install fuelpressure regulator, electronic fuel pump, different ignition and so on.

So basically what i have now is a Monte with an 130 TC head installed.

thank you, Pietro