Going hard into turn one at FFO 2009!
Attachments
garage.jpg
garage.jpg (97.27 KiB) Viewed 5635 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: FFO Autocross 2009 Spider Class Winner

Post by Guy Croft »

I expected to see the car racing on a muddy field which is what 'autograss' (formerly 'grasstrack') is in the UK!

G
Marc

Post by Marc »

LOL, well there is some grass on the track !
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

Autocross is the USA name for "A curvy track on a parking lot or alike, marked by pylons and ribbons."

I live about 25 minutes away from the only "serious" club in the Netherlands that have these events. I think they do about 10 a year and they are absolutely the cheapest form of auto racing available here. You pay something like 30 Euros for a years membership and about 2 or 3 euros per start. You can get up to 20 starts a day if it's not that crowded and you'll get about a minute or so of very precise and technical racing for that. Only one car at any time on the track and usually plenty of run-off, so crashes are very rare. You can race what you drove there, or bring a special car. There are plenty of classes and the top tends to be within a few tenths of a second from each other. Basically, any 500 Euro car and a day budget of under 100 Euro will get you plenty of fun, track time and competitive racing. Compared to the entry classes for "proper track racing" where you won't get anywhere without a racing license, full FIFA approved gear, up to the underwear and helmet, a car that's at least 3000 euro and a day budget of at least 400 Euro, it's an awful lot of value for money.
Book #348
Honza
Location: Lomnice nad Popelkou (60 north from Prague), Czech Republic

Post by Honza »

Same opinion as Guy...

When you say autocross in europe, everyone imagine cars riding on muddy tracks, so I thought that I will see car prepared for this kind of races:). ( as I already have seen 2 Fiat Coupe - one based on Dedra integrale as AWD car from Austria and one ordinary FWD 2ltr NA from Slovakia in early 2000..)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Congratulations on the class win, it always nice to see a Spider in action! The equivalent to autocross over here in the UK is autosolo. Our club have run a few and some of our members compete in the BTRDA championship. Its a great way to get into competitive motosport and you can do it in your road car. I'm planning on doing some more in my Spider when its finished.
GC_15
Marc

Post by Marc »

In the USA we have the SCCA which is the largest sanctioning body of racing in the US.They have SOLO 1 and Solo 2 which are the top 2 categories of racing AUTOCROSS.These are Pro-Classes.

This was at Fiat Freakout 2009, about 35 cars were entered for the event.You are racing aganst the clock( Club Racing).Least expensive type of racing,the average owner can have alot of fun with his or her car and drive it to the race.There are rules for safety and noise etc...