Alfa Romeo GTV 16vt so far

Post pics of your car in here
NineOneSix

Alfa Romeo GTV 16vt so far

Post by NineOneSix »

OK after having many troublesome events with my beloved GTV I decided to changed the engine for something with a little bit more grunt and was originally intending to install a Fiat 20vt lump with a few modifications as a hunger for power took hold. Not only did I blow up my twinspark once, nut I did so two more times on resulting in it catching fire but was saved by a passer by in a Lancia Delta Integrale with a fire extinguisher to hand! RESULT!

A great friend offered me a donor car with a 16vt lump from a Fiat Coupe so I jumped at it.

I spent a couple of weeks doing the conversion, most of the time studying the workshop manuals of both cars, even more so the wiring diagrams.

First thing I did was to remove the donor engine complete with transmission attached and store it in my garage the proceeded to remove the twinspark from the GTV.
I cleaned the enginebay up as it was dowsed in oil, crud and grease from the previous engines guts letting go.
empty bay.jpg
empty bay.jpg (138.13 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
I spent a bit of time stripping the old harness wrapping insulation off then rewrapped it with self amalgamating tape and labelled all the connectors for easy rewiring.
16vt loom.jpg
16vt loom.jpg (110.37 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
I had bought an aluminium induction pipe set (yes it is an an internet auction site special)
induction pipe.jpg
induction pipe.jpg (81.52 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
Now I've got the Fiat engine hoisted into it's final location, it was a simple matter of bolting everything into it's final location.
engine in.jpg
engine in.jpg (121.91 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
Now it was time to work out the induction layout, quite simple actually and took me about 2 hours in total, I had to fit some silly bends behind the headlight and loose the washer bottle to get the piping in.
induction in.jpg
induction in.jpg (111.17 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
How it looked so far.
most in from front.jpg
most in from front.jpg (96.73 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
Next was to sort out the driveshafts, hubs and suspension. I thought I'd need bigger brakes as the engine had a larger turbo charger and a chipped ECU with an estimated 260bhp output, so I decided to fit 3.0L GTV hub carriers so I could use the OE Brembo setup with the 305mm discs, it also ment I had to replace the track rod ends and track rods, I used Fiat 20VT OE parts made by delphi.
The TS driveshaft is too short to reach the output flange from the gearbox and the inner CV joint from the 3.0L V6 had a much larger pitch circle diameter (PCD)
So I experimented and found if I used the Alfa 3.0L outer CV joint with the Fiat coupe 16vt driveshaft and inner CV it was a perfect fit! I also used a set of FK coilover I had from when I drove a Alfa 155 and these were for the 155 2.5V6 and all bolted together flawlessly using the Alfa 155 top mount.
front suspension setup.jpg
front suspension setup.jpg (161.85 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
front suspension installed.jpg
front suspension installed.jpg (92.8 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
I temporarily welded in a piece of galvanized industrial air conditioning pipe until I could afford a new exhaust system
exhaust welded up.jpg
exhaust welded up.jpg (91.61 KiB) Viewed 7430 times

Engine in and fully plumbed in.
running engine in bay.jpg
running engine in bay.jpg (108.87 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
And her on the road.
car on road.jpg
car on road.jpg (119 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
Now I finally got the exhaust system sorted (Sorry wish I could have been at the exhaust fabricator while they made the exhaust) so I only managed this shot till I can get it on some ramps to get a really good shot.
new exhaust fitted.png
new exhaust fitted.png (289.68 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
Next Phase, building another 16vt engine to take more power and abuse.

To be continued....
Last edited by NineOneSix on January 26th, 2012, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NineOneSix

Re: Alfa Romeo GTV 16vt so far

Post by NineOneSix »

Being self employed it's been tough for the last couple of months and not earned a penny this side of the new year! I was buying a forged 16v Turbo engine and circumstances changed dramatically.

I did have a spare short block I was going to play with but now it seems this will be developed over a long period. I've given myself a target of 400bhp and somewhere near 500Nm torque, if I reach these targets good if I exceed them great!

I got this engine short block for free which is an extremely good deal I thought.
spare lump.jpg
spare lump.jpg (112.66 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
And after letting it lounge about in my garden for 6 months I finally decided to strip it and clean the gasket surfaces with a sanding block and 1500 paper along with a new stanley knife blade.
cleaning striped block top.jpg
cleaning striped block top.jpg (101.12 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
cleaning stripped block ancillery side.jpg
cleaning stripped block ancillery side.jpg (94.96 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
cleaning striped block front.jpg
cleaning striped block front.jpg (110.33 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
cleaning striped block bottom.jpg
cleaning striped block bottom.jpg (109.55 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
After inspecting the main bearings I decided that the crank is a total loss, so think I'll bite the bullet and buy a steel crank.
shells.jpg
shells.jpg (111.81 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
crank journal.jpg
crank journal.jpg (74.97 KiB) Viewed 7430 times

This is where I am to date, I joined this site for Mr Crofts expertise and advice on what I should use and how to go about doing it as this is my first engine rebuild.

I know what connecting rods and crank that I want to get, but the one thing that is puzzling me is pistons! I read so much about different brands and I haven't a clue on what set to go for.

I will be using a garrett GT series turbocharger, most likely a GT2871 with a .63A/R housing as according to Owen developements it's good for 400+bhp.

I'll be investing in a Tig welder to make my own exhaust manifold and custom exhaust system and also been working on a new plenum chamber with either throttle bodies and trumpets(to increase throttle response) or a slightly larger throttle body.

I've got to buy a new head to start porting, but I am just reading through all of Guy's data that he's kindly uploaded for everyone to use and take note.
Last edited by NineOneSix on January 26th, 2012, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitch strada

Post by mitch strada »

Great conversion, i will be following this - please update soon!
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Nineonesix - please read:

3. Don't write posts that contain links and lots of 'abbreviations'
They are likely to get deleted without notice. I don't want this site filled up with links. Links to other sites, to videos etc may only be used with PRIOR permission by email or PM from me, and then when no other method of conveying the information is possible. DO NOT use Photoshop/bucket and other image hosting - use the site INTERNAL photo upload facility please it is accessible below the text box and you can easily navigate from it to your computer photo archive.

As an accredited member who has asserted a knowledge of the rules you are expected to have a working knowledge of this and other Protocols. Please amend your post and use the internal site hosting service I provide.

Thank you for your continued respect,

GC
NineOneSix

Post by NineOneSix »

Sorry Guy, I'll amend it soon. Most of these pics I didn't have on my computer any more so it would have been a case of downloading them then re-uploading them.

It'll take me a while to sort that once I'm at my computer.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Thank you for your kind and considered response which I hope (!) will be an example to others,

GC
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Whats the deal with the second main bearing cap? It looks like the bolt (or screw that Guy would call it) has possibly been replaced with a stud and nut?
Chris Burgess
GC 01
NineOneSix

Post by NineOneSix »

It's a support mount for the oil pickup