My 1980 Fiat 124 turbo Spider

Post pics of your car in here
turbofiat

My 1980 Fiat 124 turbo Spider

Post by turbofiat »

Here's some pics of my 1980 Fiat 124 Spider. I've owned this car for almost 20 years. I've done most of the work on it myself except for the paint and having the wheels polished.

Stock 2 liter twin cam with Bosch L-jetronic fuel injection.

Turbo system consists of PBS exhaust manifold machined to fit a T3 from a Volvo 240.

Fuel injection mods include a Malpassi adjustable fuel pressure regulator. O2 sensor signal to ECU is cut out using pressure switch under boost to prevent computer from leaning out fuel mixture. The other two pressure switches are for the ignition system and the A/C compressor which cuts out under boost.

Ignition mods includes Bosch coil, Magnecor plug wires, cold Champion plugs and Jacobs Electronics Boostmaster.

Sparco Junior racing seats were replaced with seats are from a 1987 Honda CRX with Coverking custom seat covers.

I put together this air conditioning system last year using parts from various sources. 15K BTU Evaporator unit, Sanden 505 compressor. Blows cold air but due to all the cabin leaks, will not freeze you out like an American car will but keeps me from breaking a sweat when it's 100F/36C outside.

The car dynoed at 123 BHP at the rear wheels at 7 lbs of boost pressure. It's hard to beat the L-jetronic system as far as tunebilty is concerned. In my opinion.

Thanks to Guy for telling me about the Nord Lock fasteners keeping all the exhaust nuts from requireing retorquing every 500 miles.

The ECC style number plate has since been removed because the A/C condensor reduced the radiator's efficiency to the point the engine runs at 215F/100C in the summer when the ambient air temperature is around 100F/36C. Even at 70 mph!

This number plate must act as an air dam forcing air away from the radiator. After removal the car runs 190F/87C at any speed at any temperature.
Attachments
Spider.jpg
Spider.jpg (62.54 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
Euro Numberplate.jpg
Euro Numberplate.jpg (87.66 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
CRX seats.jpg
CRX seats.jpg (46.64 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
air conditioner.jpg
air conditioner.jpg (62.82 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
T3(1).jpg
T3(1).jpg (63.66 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
T3(2).jpg