My Alfa Romeo 33 rebuild - FIRST TIMER

Post pics of your car in here
Brit01

Re: My Alfa Romeo 33 rebuild - FIRST TIMER

Post by Brit01 »

Thanks for the tips guys.

Unfortunately the tank on the 33 is extremely low to the ground as it is. If I was to mount it so low there would be a risk of it being hit by the speed bumps and very uneven roads we have here. I already have a slight bump on one of the exhaust manifolds from a bump.

I'm going to stay with the (glass tube) washable pre-strainer before the pump and smaller carb paper filter after the pump.

Now I'm looking forward to receiving my newly aquired MSD 6A ignition. An old blaster coil is coming with it but MSD have kindly offered to send me a brand new Blaster SS coil in exchange for the old one (international postage paid also). Very impressed indeed with their service and rapid communication.

Regards

Chris
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I think the Filter King unit is good for a carb setup, plus you can regulate the fuel pressure with it. I never really used them till I found awful problems with IDF carbs flooding on test.

I like the one with glass bowl. To calibrate fuel pressure I use a small inline gauge but a Filter King is aval with integral gauge.

Northampton Motorsport is where I get them and many other fuel system stuff, members here, see links:

http://guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=70

GC
Attachments
Silver Top pump & Filter King regulator.JPG
Silver Top pump & Filter King regulator.JPG (119.25 KiB) Viewed 10171 times
Guy Croft, owner
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

Yes you are right Guy. This filter is excellent for carbs with low pumping capablities (and high of course). I have a couple on my watch list on an internet auction site!

Unfortunately it's a little bit out of my budget this year but I do hope to buy one of these maybe on my next visit to the UK.
They have a fitting for a pressure gauge also and replaceble filters.
One of the best for my set ups I believe.

Regards,

Chris
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

Do you know if VDO gauges need special VDO sensors or can standard temperature sensors be used with them?

My gauge is either dead or I'm using the wrong sensor(standard temperature sensor). The needle is not moving.
12 volts ok and grounded ok.

Regards

Chris
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

Unusual high U-bend from the fuel tank removed this weekend.

I noticed the transparent fuel filter after the pump is fuller than before. I think the U-bend was taking some of the power from the pump on the suction side. Running nice and smooth in regards to progression with the carbs.
The real test will be when the car has not been used for some time and how the pump primes from the tank with the starter motor.

But for the next few weeks I need to use the car to come to work so it's going to be a daily driver for a while. Better really especially in winter to keep everything lubricated well.

And I can use my lunch breaks to tweak/adjust and finish small details that I never find the time to do! we have a good indoor garage for employees with plenty of light.
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

What I thought was a battery slowly dying on me and almost replacing it was in fact a grounding issue.

I always thought the main grounding cable from the starter motor to the battery was good.

I attached a 3mm cable from the starter motor to a new place on the car frame chassis and what a difference!!
So much more power when starting.

Just goes to show how important the grounding in these old alfas are!
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

Just tested out my new datalogging module for the bosch lambda and it still doesn't work properly.

So now it's either the small pinholes in the exhaust manifold giving a lean reading about 20 afr or the lambda isn't working. I suspect the manifold, as the gauge is supposed to show an specific error number when the sensor is not working properly.

So now I have a spare afr module!!

Hopefully in August I will get the manifold replaced.
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

In this case, there is also a fuel injected model of the car to compare with. The fuel injected 33 has a high flow pump completely outside the tank, mounted to the side of the tank under the trunk floor. I envisioned you putting your filter there, since I assumed that you knew of this location. It may take some additional plumbing, but you could put a silver/red top pump there with a "proper" filter if you wanted to, without risking bumping it off.

I believe that the 33 injection fuel pump is actually the same as used on the porsche 944 and some other high powered sports vehicles in that era. It's quite popular for people building their race car and using inboard racing tanks since it's much cheaper than the pumps that have "racing" stamped on or some fancy car brand, while in fact it's the exact same pump from Bosch.
Book #348
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

Thanks whizzman.

I think some of the 33's come with the filter just behind the engine at the lower back part of the engine bay also.

For now it's all working fine. After I removed the high u-bend at the back the flows appears to be better.
I can see the transparent fuel filter between the carbs and pump clearly with a higher flow through it.

I'll be receiving the cleanable gauze type filter for a pre-pump filter in a few weeks.
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

New gauges :)
Attachments
gauges.jpg
gauges.jpg (100.03 KiB) Viewed 9940 times
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

Sound of my boxer after it's rebuild. (permission granted kindly from Guy to post this youtube)

Trumpets are just temporary. I was testing them out, original filter box was re-fitted after this video.

http://youtu.be/nS_VuaYKABk
Attachments
trumpets pair.jpg
trumpets pair.jpg (167.46 KiB) Viewed 9986 times
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

Very smooth sounding and running engine, well done! People seem to think Alfa boxer engines are supposed to shake when running idle, but your car is good proof they don't have to.

Too bad you're not opening that throttle further than you do, the gurgles are most promising.
Book #348
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

Thank you whizzman. Much appreciated. Great to hear feedback after my rebuild.

Takes a lot of practice to get the flat four running smoothly like that. If they are slightly out of balance then yes they rock like a sea-saw!
Been there done that. Not a nice ride when sitting at the traffic lights and it starts to idle out of balance.

When I add the MSD it apparently idles even smoother.

Regards

Chrs
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

This was the before video!

Didn't sound so smooth did it? More like a tractor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1EyptOzVWs
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

Nothing related to my car but just if anyone is interested in seeing what the traffic gets like here in Uruguay.
Just before peak hour Friday afternoon in the winter rain. This is called Tres Cruces, one main important street Av.Artigas with others crossing it.
I think there was an issue with the lights!!

Just a little stressful. Imagine this when it's 35 degrees in summer.
Attachments
tres cruces.jpg
tres cruces.jpg (40.36 KiB) Viewed 9892 times