Ed's Orange 2Ltr Fiat TC Westy

Post pics of your car in here
Edfrank

Ed's Orange 2Ltr Fiat TC Westy

Post by Edfrank »

Hi,

My name´s Ed and I´m new to the forum scene, so just going to ease myself in by posting about my upcoming project, a 1989 Pre Lit Westfield with a 2L Fiat TC. I´m a Marine engineer by trade so will give anything a bash, apart from the really critical stuff, which I leave to the professionals. Basically a jack of all trades, master of none!!

So the kit car, a mix of old components and new, the guy I bought it from did quite a good job of putting it together. I bought it because I like Quirky stuff and the pedigree of the Fiat engine was the deal maker. There is nothing wrong with Pinto´s, Vauxhall Red top´s etc, and there would be certainly easier routes to big BHP.

I am steadily working through the car setting it up to my requirements changing bits as I go, first the Cortina callipers for willwood microlites, remould tyres for Toyo 888 etc. I could go on but best get to the engine because that is where I am weak, hence tracking down Guy´s forum and probably my wisest purchase, his Bible as its often referred to on here.

This is what I was given as a engine spec, hand written so nothing is gospel until I open her up, which will probably be this winter, after I have had her set up on the dyno to make sure what I want is not already there, or more importantly reliable.

2000cc twin cam Fiat 131 engine
Full rebuild 5000 miles
Fully lightened and balanced Crankshaft
Big valve head with 3 angle valves

Valve setup - Duration 290 deg
Full lift 345 deg
Full open 102 deg

Compression ratio 10.5 to 1
Power 2000 to 6500 rpm
High lift fast road cams
Twin 40 DHLA Dellortos
Flowed C.T inlet manifold
Pipercross air filters
Full flow 4-2-1 Stainless race exhaust
Baffled oil sump
High pressure oil pump
Fiat Abarth 5 speed gearbox with long remote

If anyone see´s anything blatantly wrong with the setup please point it out, don´t even think of my feelings!

Problems I found immediately were devcon on the block; yes it has Pipercross air filters, casing but no filter material. Shortcuts were made in the electrics, it had a MOT when I bought it, but my auto electrician had to fit diodes to the indicators, proving they never worked so it was missed at MOT or shortcuts have been made, and if so where else!

My main hopes are that once sorted it will be much more enjoyable to drive than my friends which are building Bike powered Mac motorsport seven style cars!
Attachments
Westy front.JPG
Westy front.JPG (76.95 KiB) Viewed 9217 times
Westy side.JPG
Westy side.JPG (149.83 KiB) Viewed 9217 times
Westy rear.JPG
Westy rear.JPG (79.33 KiB) Viewed 9217 times
WhizzMan

Re: Ed's Orange 2Ltr Fiat TC Westy

Post by WhizzMan »

It looks the business in the pictures alright.

The technical specs you posted look to me like a very streetable track day toy. That does seem to fit with the choice of tires as well. Where do you want to drive your car? If only on the street and the occasional track day, I'd say it's fine. If it is going to be dedicated track and maybe use the license plate and tax disc to drive it there and back, you may want to up the tuning once you get to know the car. You haven't posted anything about ignition parts. Does it come with the stock points and distributor, or is there some form of electronics used? What coil? What plugs?
Book #348
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

MODEL POST!

Welcome Ed.

Nice to have a new member of the forum write in detail so concisely and coherently and then post nice photos too.

G
Edfrank

Post by Edfrank »

I think its running stock ignition system, I'm not well versed in timing etc. I have heard that Aldon Automotive have some good electronic ignition systems, is there a prefered electronic ignition replacement for the 2Ltr Fiat TC? I have attached a picture of what is on at the minute.

As for plugs I have not had them out yet, but have read previous posts on here and there is plenty advice on what to use.

It will be used mainly for the road on sunny days, maybe a track day once I know it can handle the abuse. I will get the engine setup by a proper rolling road, then when have rest of car sorted I will see what Guy recommends, maybe a strip down and inspection, maybe more if it is a solid engine.
Attachments
Disi.JPG
Disi.JPG (147.58 KiB) Viewed 9199 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Aldon? mmmmm.

My strong advice is H&H - see links.

G
tricky

Post by tricky »

I had H&H rework a distributor on a peugeot gti build for me, they are very good. If your not happy with the amount of timing on the dyno - you can send it back and they will change it for you for free untill it's right. Good service.

Nice car, looks like a fun thing !
Twice as many valves
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

Guy,

Have you ever tried 123 ignitions? They have a 16 curve Fiat ignition and a programmable one as well, but I'm not certain it is available for the TC yet. They have a good name amongst the classic Alfa romeo crowd. I wonder if their Fiat products are just as good.
Book #348
Edfrank

Post by Edfrank »

thank you for the comments lad´s.

It is certainly will be fun to drive when i get the seating position sorted. At the minute the steering wheel is rubbing on my knee´s, which means i´m feeding it through my hands like i´m on my test! That would be fine if i was in a car, but trying to correct the Westy when the back end has let go is interesting to say the least.

I´m going to try a flat bottom steering wheel, see if i can get the fixed seat any further back before i contemplate changing the height of the steering rack which means altering the dash.

Was just wondering if it was worth tracking down some 45 carbs before i take it to the rolling road, do you think this would up the power without any more serious upgrades?

I will be on the phone to H&H tommorow to discuss an electronic setup.
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

From my own observations, by no means a universal truth: I seldom see 45ers on 8V engines used on street cars. I do see 40s with 34 venturi's on cars that make over 150BHP on even race cars. I think the point at which you should go for 45ers is probably closer to 180BHP than it is to 150BHP. I'm certain Guy can tell you exactly when to switch over and how to tell when you have reached that point.
Book #348
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

My exp of the extreme limits of 40s on the 2 liter are limited.

All I will say is that I had a 124CSA 1800 years ago, stock 9.8/1 Fiat 132 1800 engine, nothing more fancy on the Gp3 version than a pair of rather second-rate Abarth-made upper sections on the header. The difference betw 40 IDF 32ch and 44IDF 36ch was VERY marked indeed, ie: the 44s gave masses more torque.

Apart from their adoption on supercharged and smaller cap engines I would not use DCOE 40s on anything other than a very mildly-tuned 2 liter (eg: gasflowed, std cams) which is by way of saying yes go DCOE 45s, if the cams are any good it should pull 38mm chokes easily and develop a lot more mid range torque and top-end power. If it doesn't the cams are -frankly - no good.

Your call, sorry!

G