My Lancia Delta Integrale 8V restoration project

Post pics of your car in here
samo

Re: My Lancia Delta Integrale 8V restoration project

Post by samo »

I did some deshrouding today. I would appreciate any comments if you think I should be more agressive?
Attachments
Deshrouding around the intake valve.
Deshrouding around the intake valve.
DSC04644 (Large).JPG (120.33 KiB) Viewed 10683 times
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

I have finished the intake ports today.
Attachments
Gasket matching. Black marker is just for photo purpose.
Gasket matching. Black marker is just for photo purpose.
DSC04646 (Medium).JPG (79.86 KiB) Viewed 10656 times
Combustion chamber side of the port.
Combustion chamber side of the port.
DSC04647 (Medium).JPG (81.8 KiB) Viewed 10656 times
Port evenly finished. 80 grade + WD-40.
Port evenly finished. 80 grade + WD-40.
DSC04649 (Medium).JPG (53.61 KiB) Viewed 10656 times
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

After receiving my GC book I really did get the majority of my questions answered. I was quite happy about discovering that I have not yet done anything wrong. But two questiones remained.

#1 Does anyone know how well the 8V integrale intake manifold flows?

#2 I have took a simlar route to deshrouding as per Mr. Crofts instructions but I have made the general shape of the CC less keyhole and more egg shaped (look at attached photo). As I figured a bit more deshrouding of the sparkplug and one less "sharp line" in the CC would be a good idea. Do you think I went too far? When finished I will measure the CC volume to see if I made it too big. Is overall CR the only limiting factor or can it be to big?
Attachments
Note the CC shape.
Note the CC shape.
DSC04648 (Large).JPG (122.06 KiB) Viewed 10624 times
Limited edition #317
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I don't know the flow for the 8V inlet manifold but the 8V head will only flow 110cfm or so @10" so I doubt it will be restrictive.

I have attached some pics of what I do on these but you already have your pistons so you'll have to cc the head and examine the CR before taking more metal off the chamber. I think you should try and relieve right down to the seat insert by the way and get rid of the sharp edge there. The valve seat work the head needs will make the chamber bigger still (I think std is 48cc?)

You will find my CR calcs for this particular build as an Excel file attached.

G
Attachments
GC 060.jpg
GC 060.jpg (60.69 KiB) Viewed 10621 times
GC 081.jpg
GC 081.jpg (113.85 KiB) Viewed 10621 times
Copy of Integrale 8V A Dickson.xls
(20 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
samo

Post by samo »

There is no more edge between the valve seat and port throat. It's completly smooth on the intake side and and a bit less then perfect on the exhaust side (will try to improve). The picture shows a weird shadow.

So the general shape of the CC if the volume is ok shouldn't be a problem. That's good. Will roughly finish one CC, measure, do the calculations and report.

I have one more question regarding vave guides. As they have been replaced with new items prior to me deciding to port the head I do not wish to remove them. The intake are iron, exhaust bronze (so sorry about that but it's been done 2 years ago). Is there any point in me trying to do the following:
- taper (make pointy) the intake guides
- shorten the exhaust guides to be flat with the port roof

Will that shorten the life span of the guides?
Limited edition #317
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Leave the guides well-alone and do your best to port around them.

G
samo

Post by samo »

Did some more CC work today. Sadly I forgot my sparkplugs at the garage so couldn't measure the capacity of the CCs.

I do hope that the egg shaped CC will work :) So far I do think I didn't make anything worse, I just hope I made some improvements.

But since I had a little accident and the burr got snaged on the edge of the CC i made a small scratch on the flat side. So I might have to take a 0,1mm or so off it to make it flat again. Will check with a gasket to see if it is away from the fire ring.
Attachments
Hopefuly equaly shaped CCs.
Hopefuly equaly shaped CCs.
DSC04661 (Small).JPG (53.61 KiB) Viewed 10573 times
Close up.
Close up.
DSC04663 (Small).JPG (55.61 KiB) Viewed 10573 times
Limited edition #317
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Post by Abarthnorway - Remi L »

Hi Samo!

The deshroud looks good, a bit of a hassle to get rid of the ridge along the valve seat inserts in the comustion chambers!

I promised You some pics of the head work on my ex Integrale - I only had 2 of the combustion chamber - sorry for that. I personally only opened up the combustion chamber around the inlet valve up to the middle of the spark plug hole. Guy surely must have loads of better and more correct pictures if You need.....

Good luck. I will bet that You will FEEL the difference from what You have done to the head already. In my experience the 8V integrale responds very well to head work - but to be honest my head was a disaster to begin with so it was easy to better.

Combustion chamber

Valve seat area pics before - disaster:

Best regards

Remi Lovhoiden
GC_45
samo

Post by samo »

Hi Remy,

thank you for the pictures. I have studied all of Guys photos and all the rest I could find :)

As I don't have a flowbench I am doing everthing by eye and feel. So hoping for the best results possible.

I also planed to install the 16V integrale throttle body as it seems a LOT bigger. But on closer inspection I found only external diameter is bigger and the top of the throttle body is shaped like a venturi but the internal diameter of the body is in fact the same. So I am not really sure it's worth the trouble of fabricatig custom induction hose because with this modification nither the 8v or the 16v hose fits anymore.
Limited edition #317
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Efforts to secure more power by fitting a bigger throttle body than standard will rarely yield any benefit, more likely just alter the engine's behaviour on throttle opening (throttle response) which may just 'feel' like more power.

A bigger plate would tend to give an increased recovery rate of charge in the plenum but there are other complex variables at play too, such as the plenum state and compressor delivery. No (single) throttle body I've ever flow tested (from a Lancia) would, in my opinion, be an impediment to power.

GC
samo

Post by samo »

Managed to measure the CCs volume. The finished one came at 43,5 ccm and the rest that have only been finished around the valve seats have around 50cc. I hope that's ok.

Also played a bit with a string and vacuum cleaner. And I managed to observ an anomly on exhaust port #3. It seems like I took less of one of the port wall-to-wall region. It is an inward facing obstruction and it caused the string tail to flutter :) Hope to be able to clear it tommorrow.
Limited edition #317
samo

Post by samo »

This is the video of my DIY port flow checking technique. Sorry for the link but I couldn't convert the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0BTOoMPPPA
Limited edition #317
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Youtube is best really, you can't upload big vids to the site anyway,

G
samo

Post by samo »

I finished the combustion chambers yesterday! I am quite pleased with them I have to say.

After second measurement they were at:

1. 51.8ccm
2. 51.8ccm
3. 51.4ccm
4. 51.5ccm

I tried to equalize them even more at final stage. I have used 80 grid, 20 grid sand paper on them and after that polished them with a dremel wire brush on high speed. Unfortunatly when doing the final shaping my burr snaged and went wild on the head surface so I'll have to get the head re-surfaced :(
Attachments
My CCs. Note the hurricane Burr aftermath at #3 CC.
My CCs. Note the hurricane Burr aftermath at #3 CC.
08032011505 (Medium).jpg (81.97 KiB) Viewed 10140 times
Detailed wiev on one of the CCs. They all look nice and shiniy...
Detailed wiev on one of the CCs. They all look nice and shiniy...
08032011506 (Medium).jpg (70.03 KiB) Viewed 10140 times
Limited edition #317
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Well done!

For your benefit and that of those watching this project I have marked up a photo of your head with some notes.

How you finish your work is your perogative so I'm not trying to pressure you. I do however consider it important to draw attention to the details I have shown. If I have misread anything forgive me - I am working 'long distance' from photos..

1. Red line - that edge round the inlet seat insert should be carefully fettled out with a small ball-shaped burr. It is right in the path of the incoming charge at low valve list. No good reason for leaving it there. Sharp edges in the chamber don't exactly help flamefront development either.
2. Yellow lines - relieving and radiusing in the coolant passages will improve flow - esp on the ex side. I mark out to gasket before doing this.
3. Green lines - after reface make sure you deburr all the coolant galleries and round holes..
4. Blue line - I don't know if you've done your valve seat work yet but you may have well to give the inlet insert a top cut or grind to expose some aluminium on the outer edge. Toc clean up on reface you are going to have to machine off, dunno, 0.005-0.010". At the moment the insert seems to sit right on the head face - so if the head is refaced the cutter is going to go thru aluminium-iron and fracture or at least score the head quite badly.

G
Attachments
Samo_head.JPG
Samo_head.JPG (74.94 KiB) Viewed 10132 times