My Peugeot 306 Rallye project

Post pics of your car in here
kpsig

Re: My Peugeot 306 Rallye project

Post by kpsig »

Daveyboy wrote:I can't take any credit for the car, all the work was done prior to my buying it, as for the causes of the engine failiure, I suspect a number of reasons contributed to the eventual outcome.

Mainly (my fault entirely) running the car for a two week period on the base map that came with the bodies, this would've been very fuel rich and this is evidenced by the very fuelly smell in the sump on strip down. Obviously I realise now that this was a very silly thing to do, but we learn from our mistakes, at the time I knew very very little about engines, I certainly won't be repeating that error though.
Another issue is that I was running an oil cooler that was'nt big enough to keep my oil temps down, it was a 13 row Mocal unit but driven hard the oil temp would regularly reach 120 degrees, again, I now know this is a seriously excessive temperature at which to expect oil to retain any kind of film strength or pressure. The oil itself was a fully synthetic 15-40wt oil I purchased from Halfords, again, probably not the best choice of oil for an engine that gets used hard, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Hope this clears up your question.
Yes, thanks!
15w 40 out of my experience is not that "fit" for your modified engine due to the fact that at high oil temperatures it looses its protective qualities really fast. A proper 15w 50 could be more reliable. A good oil cooler could help, but the fact that your mixture was way too rich actually destroyed your oil very very fast.
Kostas, Greece
Daveyboy

Post by Daveyboy »

At the time the engine was pretty much standard, except fot the throttle bodies and exhaust sytem all the internals were stock. This time around though I am intending to use Millers 15-50 in conjunction with a Laminova cooler, a baffled sump and 4 pint Accusump system. Oil issues should no longer be a worry this time.
GC Book # 103
Daveyboy

Post by Daveyboy »

I decided not to watch the F1 today but to do something constructive instead, so I dragged the car out of it's resting place and got on with fitting the brakes. They are 330mm Hi Spec rotors clamped up by some radially mounted 4 pot Brembo mono-block calipers normally found lurking under the front wheels of a Renault Megane R26. A fellow 306 racer named Ashley Hargreaves developed the fitting kit which includes the necessary bolts, brackets and bells to mount the brakes to the car. It's wonderfully wsell engineered and fits as easily as could be hoped for. Happily the braided brake lines already on the car had the correct banjo fitting for the calipers (making the set I pucchased with the brake kit redundant, very typical) I could'nt help but notice some fairly rusty patches whilst I was crawling around under the car so I know what I have to sort next...

I also gave it a bit of a wash as it was looking a bit of a state. Came up pretty nice...

GC Book # 103
Daveyboy

Post by Daveyboy »

I blew my budget that was set aside for some decent rods when 13 new and used wet tyres and 8 wheels came up for sale at the right money, I now have more wheels than Hertz rent-a-car and still no engine....

Theres always next month I guess.
GC Book # 103
Daveyboy

Post by Daveyboy »

Due to a very hectic workload I have'nt done much to the car at all over the past 4-5 months, however once a particularly long contract ended I have been able to free up some time and get a few things done to it. Firstly, I have decided to make a start on my baffled sump kit. This entailed removal of the existing rudimentry stock baffle and gate arrangement. However, the only plasma cutter available to me at the time had rather a cumbersome torch head on it and I managed to pierce the base of the sump (Not a problem as the TIG set was handy) but some of the flying sparks damaged the thread of the oil drain plug too. Easily fixed though, I drilled out the thread and welded on an AN-10JIC fitting I had left over from something else.(This may come in handy later on as a return/drain down from the oil-breather/catch tank)

Then I knocked up an enclosure for the pickup, this will have suitable gates and baffles affixed to it, space is very limited however as the pickup and pump are very bulky items.

That's as far as the sump has got for now. Progress on the car itself has been happening too though. I have been attacking the rust and carrying out a bit of seam welding. And due to reading Miro's efforts on engine bay cooling as well as Mr. Crofts workshop manual I have made a start on some measures to help expel some of the trapped hot air I expect to have at some point in the future...

Rust...

Cleaned back...

Welded...

Then treated with some passivate...

I cut some louvres out of some old scrap panels off a welding machine as they were a perfect size for what I had in mind...

Oh and my fuel pumps arrived, so I can start work on laying it all out and making the enclosure for the pumps, filter and swirl pot to sit in...

Last edited by Daveyboy on June 29th, 2011, 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GC Book # 103
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

FINALLY!

AT LAST SOMEONE BOTHERING TO SEAM-WELD THEIR CAR.

WELL DONE JIM!

G
Daveyboy

Post by Daveyboy »

Guy Croft wrote:FINALLY!

AT LAST SOMEONE BOTHERING TO SEAM-WELD THEIR CAR.

WELL DONE JIM!

G
It's the worlds crapiest job! Peugeot use the stickiest seam sealer/underseal known to man and it has to be meticulously removed from anything you wish to weld, otherwise it spits and pops molten metal at you, all very enjoyable, I'm so glad I started it. (Sarcasm)
GC Book # 103
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Keep it up Jim, you only need 16,000 more hits and you'll have as many as Miro.

G
Daveyboy

Post by Daveyboy »

Thanks Guy, but to be honest I'm getting a little bored of working on it I just want to drive it yesterday! But I'm cursed with a desire to do things properly, and as a result I just end up finding more and more jobs to do. Personaly I blame 'that book' of yours, ignorance was bliss...

I reckon that many views would be a tall order on this predominantly Fiat/Lancia site, plus Miro's car is stunning, a nice finished race car would be enough for me.
GC Book # 103
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

yes, Jim, know what you mean but it will be the better & safer car for it and Lord knows plenty rush this.

GC
Daveyboy

Post by Daveyboy »

I know it will be worth it in the long run, but until that day it gets trailered off to the mappers and I do my first shake down runs, it's just a gargantuan time/money pit. I can see why so many projects stay as just that and never come to fruition, but the end is tantalisingly close now. I'm itching to hear it fire up for the first time, the aim is for it to be finished by the end of the year...
GC Book # 103
Daveyboy

Post by Daveyboy »

I came home this evening to find I had had a delivery of Aeroquip style hose ends, still got a few more plumbing bits to get but I'll leave the hose ordering until the engine itself is actually back in and I can measure up exactly whats needed. The braided hose pictured is some -6 stuff I already had.

Figuring out all the BSP, NPT, Metric and JIC combinations and sizes has given me a bit of a headache but I'm over the worst of it now.
GC Book # 103
Daveyboy

Post by Daveyboy »

Guy Croft wrote:Keep it up Jim, you only need 16,000 more hits and you'll have as many as Miro.

G
I've had 60,353 hits on the 306gti6.com site, so actually it's Miro who has his work cut out, but who's counting? :D

I know who will have the better car at the end of it though, and it won't be wearing a Peugeot badge.
GC Book # 103
Daveyboy

Post by Daveyboy »

My shiny new Saenz rods arrived today, and I am also expecting a package this week from Think Automotive with my sandwich plate and Laminova cooler and a few fittings. Once my uprated oil pump chain arrives (Uprated as the standard chains have roller bushes with a seam, which we have found opens up and causes the chain to fail on high RPM Peugeot engines, so I sourced a high quality seamless bush chain from a German firm called IWIS) I can proceed with a dry build. I'm very much looking forward to this as I have lots of fabrication jobs that require the engine in the car for reference, such as making the inlet and exhaust manifolds.
GC Book # 103
Daveyboy

Post by Daveyboy »

Right, progress report.

Made a little headway tonight on the sump baffle kit, space is really tight so I've had to revise my initial plan slightly (Make it up as I go along ;) ) This involved cutting the sides off the box and welding on some new ones that fitted the shape of the sump base a little better, this will allow me much more room for a nice free flowing trap door arrangement to bring oil to the pickup on righthanders. I have a plan for how to get it to work for lefthanders but you will have to wait and see that. Anyway, here are a few shots of my contraption.

The oil pump is screwed to the wooden baton to get it to sit at the right height more or less for the mock-up.

There is a protrusion on the oil pump body just in the wrong place that fouled the box, so I had to let in a corner piece.

Fitted much better after...

There is also a dogleg section that drops away on the sump floor, this created quite a gap in the corner of the box which could allow too much oil to escape away from the pickup under cornering, so I covered it up with the addition of this plate. It has a drain hole right in the corner so it won't hold any cruddy oil when the time comes to change it.

Still have to make dividers and gates etc. but it's coming along, what with that and this Accusump I think oil issues should be the least of my worries. Paranoid much? I think so!

Lastly, here are the new rods, sure you've all seen them before but I think they are worth a second, third and fourth look.

They must be about 2/3 the weight of a standard rod and the finish is outstanding :)
GC Book # 103