My 124 Spider Project.....

Post pics of your car in here
Sandro

My 124 Spider Project.....

Post by Sandro »

Hi all,

this post is very long overdue but want to share my project as I see everyone else on here so enthusiastic and it makes me a little ashamed as this site is a minefield of information and help....this posting will help me drive this forward as I will want to continue to share the project as it evolves.

Anyway here goes...

I bought a 1973 spider CS 1592 as a restoration project and I spent some considerable time stripping the car down and cutting off the bad bodywork...just as I finished this by luck I located a nearly fully stripped 1983 US spider shell in near mint condition,no rust just a few dents here and there, all for £500.
I wanted the car to look like a 1973 chrome bumper model so I set out converting the car.....unfortunately getting married and work travels got in the way and for a year now I have done little or nothing...apologies Guy.
Anyway I started to mark out the indicator housings for the old style indicators and have now cut them out, just need some fine honing and these should fit ok. The old holes for the ugly bumpers have been welded up. I just need to make bumper mounts and drill the holes for the EU style indicators (that I have now misplaced so need new ones if anyone can help) and then the car can go to the body shop. Before I have it painted I plan to have the car dipped at Surface Processing in the Midlands to remove all paint, sealant etc, and I will have the car treated with a Zinc Phosphate coating for corrosion protection. I plant to have the car sprayed Abarth red before re-assembly. I am in two minds to convert the car to RHD as I have all the necessary parts and have seen them done by other site members (plugs I want to fit DHLA sidedraughts). The doors off the old shell are perfect, with the nice chrome old style door handles so these will be used on the new shell.

In the meantime the engine has had Guys magic touch, the 130TC head completed to a very high spec and the 2 litre block will be fitted with a GC modified crank as well as HC pistons from a 124 1800, 0.6mm oversize. I have a GC four branch stainless steel 4-1 exhaust system that should complement the engine perfectly.

I was lucky enough when I bought the first 1973 spider it was fitted with the original 124 Abarth alloys so these will be restored and will look fantastic.

I have attached today some (not very good) pictures of the second shell as received but will post some more of the changes once I have better ones..
Side view 1
Side view 1
Pic1.jpg (311.31 KiB) Viewed 4710 times
Side view 2
Side view 2
Pic9.jpg (314.35 KiB) Viewed 4710 times
Front view
Front view
Pic7.jpg (360.76 KiB) Viewed 4710 times
Rear view
Rear view
Pic10.jpg (299.31 KiB) Viewed 4710 times
I am open to comments and suggestions on this project. I know this wont be an 100% original spider and I may be criticised for it but I just want it to be my take on the 124....

A final note - a huge thank you to Guy for all his help and extreme patience with me it is highly valued and I am in his debt.

more to come....

Sandro
GC_33
Sandro

Re: My 124 Spider Project.....

Post by Sandro »

All

plenty of updates coming, i just need to get the pictures small enough

Also Guy, I have managed to acquire from the US a 1985.5 original crossmember with the rack an pinion steering mounts...on its way over as we speak. I will be getting it drawn up professionally for future reference

regards

Sandro
GC_33
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: My 124 Spider Project.....

Post by Guy Croft »

good to see here agin SP

G
Guy Croft, owner