My Renault Fuego GTA

Post pics of your car in here
Alejandro

My Renault Fuego GTA

Post by Alejandro »

Hey Guy and dear forum members, I'll introduce you my 1990 Reanult Fuego GTA. This is a very popular car in Argentina, and I've own it for about two years now. It is the coupe version of the Renault 18, and the GTA version was the last production model of the Fuego (world production ended here in Argentina in 1992). The car has a 114 HP, 2.2L aspirated engine, feed ed by a double body carburetor. It develops 198 km/h and accelerates from 0-1000 meters in 31 s. However, this could be improved.

My intention was to update the engine a little bit, and to gain some extra torque and power. Theory predicts that after preparation the engine will have between 135 and 140 HP at 6000 RPM. The preparation has been very conservative and the car is intended for street use. I leave here some pics of the head preparation of my car. These are just a few of all the pictures I took. I hope you like it.

I already have a reservation on the dyno, for two weeks from now. I will show some results at that time. In the meantime, if someone can guide me a little bit on exhaust systems, I left a detailed post in General Discussion of road engines: Greetings,

Alejandro

PHOTOS EDITED OUT BY GC - THE EXCELLENT PHOTOS ARE ON VIEW IN GENERAL DISCUSSION AT:

http://guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2135
4v6

Re: My Renault Fuego GTA

Post by 4v6 »

I used to work as a service mechanic for a Renault dealership back in 1994 and we used to see a fair few of these come through the shop, but not the GTA version, as i recall it was always the 2.0 litre fuel injected versions or was it a 1.8?
Been such a long time since ive seen one and brings back a few memories of other Renaults i got acquainted with, the one i liked most was a yellow Alpine A610 GTA, 3.0 litres, fuel injected and V6 with a turbo that used to come in occasionally for a service.
Not fast by todays comparisons but i liked it for the styling but like most things Renault, a bit of a horror to work on.
I like yours a lot, a blast from the past for sure.
Tony Warren. GC #96.
Alejandro

Post by Alejandro »

Thanks 4v6, I'm glad you like it. The Fuego you've worked on might of been the 1.6L Turbo gasoline engine (Fuego GTX Turbo), and the 2.0L aspirated gasoline engine (Fuego GTX). There were in Europe other Diesel and Turbo-diesel version, but I'm not very familiar with them.

The GTA version was only released in Argentina, with lines similar to the Alpine GTA, but with smaller engines. This were equipped with a 2.2L engine, a bit more elastic than its 2.0L predecessor, disc brakes on all wheels, a computer system that measures fuel consumption, autonomy, speed, etc, electric mirrors with heater, power steering, and electric windshields among other things. The GTA Cx is a little better than the GTX's...0.32 for the GTA vs 0.347 for the GTX, large values up to today's standards, but very low for the 1980's standards.
turbofiat

Post by turbofiat »

Alejandro wrote:Hey Guy and dear forum members, I'll introduce you my 1990 Reanult Fuego GTA. This is a very popular car in Argentina, and I've own it for about two years now. It is the coupe version of the Renault 18, and the GTA version was the last production model of the Fuego (world production ended here in Argentina in 1992). The car has a 114 HP, 2.2L aspirated engine, feed ed by a double body carburetor. It develops 198 km/h and accelerates from 0-1000 meters in 31 s. However, this could be improved.
The most impressive car I had ever riden in was a 1982 Feugo. But it was no ordinary Feugo. This was 17 years ago so I can't remember all the details but to the best of my knowledge the guy took a non turboed model and bored the engine out to the max. He said anymore and he would have hit the water jackets. I'm wanting to say 2.4 lites.

The compression ratio was reduced to as low as it could run (something like 6:1). The turbo was either a T3 or a T4. I believe the fuel injection system was L-jetronic (I recall seeing an air flow meter that resembled the one on my Fiat Spider). For whatever reason he ran no air cleaner.

Turbolag was horrible (such as 4 or 5 seconds) but once the turbo started spinning the power was incredible. It felt like taking off in a commerical airliner.

I have no idea how much boost he ran but I think he said he ran no wastegate and would simply take his foot off the accelerator once the tire started spinning out of control.

This car was what turned me onto turbos.

The turbolag and the ability to keep the tire from spinning was a big drawback to the car's performance but was one of the most impressive cars I had ever riden in.
124 Spider, Yugo,131
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

Hi Alejandro.

Greetings from your neighbour in Montevideo.

Just reading you post and engine rebuild from the link provided.

Really impressive work on the engine build and valve chambers I must say.
Nice to see such good photos also.

I'll be dropping my engine and box next month (Alfa boxer) and when I see this quality of work it motivates me to spend more time and investing more money in the tools to carry out such detailed work.

I had the valve seals on my heads replaced but by a workshop here as i didn't have the right tools to remove the springs. I don't trust many workshops here and prefer to do the work myself if I have the right tools and knowledge.
I'll be changing the small end bushings on my flat4 this summer and also checking the main bearing clearances and possibly changing them.

Now I'm tempted to buy these tools to double check everything they did (and to learn how to do it myself), but to also improve the porting of the valves, calculate compression ratio with the hydraulic fluid method etc.

Congrats.

Chris