Preparing my Spider 2000 for the Track

Post pics of your car in here
Urbancamo

Re: Preparing my Spider 2000 for the Track

Post by Urbancamo »

Are those JBW Wheels or something similar and what are specs, widness, offset etc?

There isn't almost a single old car where classical "Minilite"-type wheels wouldn't fit. And this Spider isn't expection. Nice.
GC_25
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks WhizzMan, yes these wheels will be staying on, the original 5.5x14's looked decidedly 'skinny' in the arches.

Yes Urbancamo, they are indeed JBW wheels, 7"x13" -7ET, with 205/60 tyres. To be honest there wasn't a huge choice in suitable offset 98 PCD wheels, not in my budget anyway. I didn't want anything too modern looking either, and despite 'minilite' style wheels not being particularly associated with the 124, I think they are reasonable in keeping with the period and motorsport appearance I was after.

Just put an order in to Spiderpoint for a load of seals and gaskets and should have a roll of Alcantara arriving for the dash before the weekend.
GC_15
Simon

Post by Simon »

The seals, gaskets (the old ones were rock hard!) and other bits and bobs arrived on Friday together with the alcantara for the dash. So I spent some time today on a variety of things that needed to be done like rebuilding and fitting the heater box, cleaning and fitting the rear lights and making a start on the dash.
New rear light seals and other seals and odds and ends needed for reassembly.
New rear light seals and other seals and odds and ends needed for reassembly.
_IGP6566.jpg (264.59 KiB) Viewed 23127 times
Rear lights are a bit past their best, one was full of moss. But they cleaned up and will do for now.
Rear lights are a bit past their best, one was full of moss. But they cleaned up and will do for now.
_IGP6570.jpg (418.56 KiB) Viewed 23127 times
Heat air flap cleaned up and two generous coats of satin black Hammerite
Heat air flap cleaned up and two generous coats of satin black Hammerite
_IGP6571.jpg (281.14 KiB) Viewed 23127 times
Rebuilding the heater assembly
Rebuilding the heater assembly
_IGP6573.jpg (305.83 KiB) Viewed 23127 times
Heater box in place and some wiring sorted out.
Heater box in place and some wiring sorted out.
_IGP6578.jpg (423.14 KiB) Viewed 23127 times
Dash ready to cover
Dash ready to cover
_IGP6580.jpg (398.51 KiB) Viewed 23127 times
Thin foam backed nylon for padding under the alcantara
Thin foam backed nylon for padding under the alcantara
_IGP6583.jpg (289.95 KiB) Viewed 23124 times
Padding layer before trimming out the air vents
Padding layer before trimming out the air vents
_IGP6584.jpg (266.6 KiB) Viewed 23127 times
Another trial fit before covering with black alcantara
Another trial fit before covering with black alcantara
_IGP6588.jpg (292.89 KiB) Viewed 23127 times
Last edited by Simon on March 18th, 2013, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GC_15
Simon

Post by Simon »

Despite the miserable weather I managed to make some good progress on finishing the dash today. I've still not decided what to go for on terms of the actual dash panel(s), full rally-style single panel with toggle switches or something closer to the 3 piece original with an opening glove box. Anyway, I will decide on that later, I really just needed to get the main dash moulding in so I can move on to fitting the windscreen.
Covering with alcantara. Lots of stretching, stapling, trimming and glueing.
Covering with alcantara. Lots of stretching, stapling, trimming and glueing.
_IGP6589.jpg (356.33 KiB) Viewed 23112 times
Trimming for vent holes.
Trimming for vent holes.
_IGP6596.jpg (303.35 KiB) Viewed 23112 times
Fitting vent assemblies
Fitting vent assemblies
_IGP6599.jpg (286.34 KiB) Viewed 23112 times
Vent were originally brown and wouldn't match the new dash. So a clean then a coat of plastic primer to give a good key...
Vent were originally brown and wouldn't match the new dash. So a clean then a coat of plastic primer to give a good key...
_IGP6600.jpg (262.27 KiB) Viewed 23112 times
...then sprayed satin black to match dash
...then sprayed satin black to match dash
_IGP6607.jpg (311.18 KiB) Viewed 23112 times
Fitting the glovebox
Fitting the glovebox
_IGP6614.jpg (323.82 KiB) Viewed 23112 times
_IGP6616.jpg
_IGP6616.jpg (282.31 KiB) Viewed 23112 times
Dash finally refitted.
Dash finally refitted.
_IGP6627.jpg (345.84 KiB) Viewed 23112 times
GC_15
Rallyroller

Post by Rallyroller »

Hi Simon

Nice looking job( again). I am currently modifying the dash on my rally spider. I have 2 dashes, one badly cracked by sun and one with modified bottom rail. I am not sure what to do. I was thinking of covering the dash with black felt to stop glare and cover the faults. "flocking" seems to be a bit tricky and I am not sure I can justify the alcantara. What glue did you use?

My shell is due back any time now ( there has been the usual hold ups due to work and other things). I'll post some pics of my dash board ( not as good as yours though). We seem to be at a similar stage. I have freed off and painted all the heater unit etc ready to go back into the shell. You mention that the dash goes on before the screen. Is that a choice or the only way to do it? My dash is cut to allow removal around the front roll cage, so I dont know if that aids "fitting" with the windscreen in place.

Nigel.
GC_13
Simon

Post by Simon »

Hi Nigel,

Its good to hear you are making progress too, looking forward to the pictures. I have to say I have picked a lot more enthusiasm now that things are going back together for the (hopefully!) last time. Up to this point every time I've fitted something it has been in the knowledge that its going to be coming off again to be painted or fettled in some way, although there is still plenty of that sort of thing to do still.

My original intention was to flock the dash too using one of the kits from Frost, but I think you really need to do it electrostatically on such a big area for a decent finish with all the fibres standing on end (not actually tried it, so I may be wrong.) So I decided to cover it instead. Basically I cut the ends off to clear the cage, then covered the bare foam on the ends with fibreglass tissue and resin. The alcantara was only about £25 for a linear metre from a 911 trimmer on an internet auction site (not sure if it is actually genuine Alcantara, but some suppliers definitely state it is) and seems to be very good quality. The recommended foam backing I already had 'in stock' as left over roof lining from my Niva. I used Evostik Spray Carpet Adhesive from Screwfix for the backing and the alcantara, but added staples around the edges for extra security. I had to do it in two pieces - top and sides, then a separate piece for the rolled edge across the base. My dash was in pretty good condition but this method seems cover a multitude of sins and produces a nice padded WRC sort of look. Some 3mm ali sheet is next on the agenda to make dash panels.

As for fitting before or after the screen, it may be possible to to do either depending on how much clearance you have with the cage and whether the steering column is in place. I kept mine fairly tight and the column is still fitted, so mine is a bit of a fight to get in and only seemed to drop in from above which would be impossible with the screen in place. It was even harder with the glove box in place, although it may be possible to fit that after the dash. When I first bought the car years ago without an MOT, I needed to get the screen replaced due to a big chip to get it passed. Since having that fitted (by a windscreen well known windscreen firm) there was always a gap between the rear of the dash and the windscreen rubber. I lived with it like that until this rebuild and discovered that they had just bodged a load of sealant on the lower edge of the screen rubber and bolted it down, instead of seating it in the channel properly with the flange over the channel edge. So I was keen to make sure it all went back properly this time. I fitted the screen last night by running some wire in the groove of the lower mounting flange, sitting the screen assembly in place, then gradually pulling the wire out around the dash to ease the sealing flange over lip on the scuttle channel. (sorry but I was too focused on the task to take pictures!) This evening I fitted the lower trim piece. To be honest the screen is past its best being foggy at the edges but it will do for now.
Windscreen rubber flange seated on top of dash
Windscreen rubber flange seated on top of dash
_IGP6637.jpg (258.39 KiB) Viewed 23139 times
Windscreen frame in place
Windscreen frame in place
_IGP6630.jpg (377.78 KiB) Viewed 23139 times
GC_15
Simon

Post by Simon »

I pressed on with the dash today. I'm going for a 3 panel arrangement based on the stock version but made from 3mm aluminium sheet, probably with a crinkle paint finish.
Cutting out the panels with a jigsaw
Cutting out the panels with a jigsaw
_IGP6640.jpg (258.54 KiB) Viewed 23094 times
Marked out from the original but with an extra dial for oil pressure
Marked out from the original but with an extra dial for oil pressure
_IGP6641.jpg (263.93 KiB) Viewed 23094 times
Sanding drum is great for finishing the holes after the holesaw and jigsaw
Sanding drum is great for finishing the holes after the holesaw and jigsaw
_IGP6643.jpg (283.67 KiB) Viewed 23094 times
_IGP6645.jpg
_IGP6645.jpg (335.59 KiB) Viewed 23094 times
Checking fit
Checking fit
_IGP6646.jpg (249.06 KiB) Viewed 23094 times
Attachments
Trial fit with glovebox lid to get dimension for the centre panel.
Trial fit with glovebox lid to get dimension for the centre panel.
_IGP6649.jpg (293.14 KiB) Viewed 23094 times
GC_15
Simon

Post by Simon »

It was back to messy fibre glassing work today in an attempt to get the remaining panels ready for paint. I had left the bonnet prep as I hadn't decided what to do about bonnet vents. In the end I opted to drop the rear edge of the bulges to for a couple of exit slots. I had envisaged dropping these quite deep, but a quick trial with the injection plenum in place (I'll be keeping the LE system initially so it needs to fit) gave clearance problems. I did think about asymmetric vents with the exhaust side being deeper as there is more clearance, but I finally decided to make them both 22mm deep and then cut back and drop the front 15mm edge of the ramp portion to effectively increase the vent size. I only got as far as roughly 'glassing' the vent in to place. The next step will be cut back the ramp portion and bond on a small lip, then smooth it all out.
Vents cut with jigsaw. Checking clearance with engine to see how deep the vents can go.
Vents cut with jigsaw. Checking clearance with engine to see how deep the vents can go.
_IGP6652.jpg (288.1 KiB) Viewed 23083 times
'Glassed' into place at correct depth
'Glassed' into place at correct depth
_IGP6655.jpg (317.99 KiB) Viewed 23083 times
Front edge of the vent ramps still to be cut back to increase size
Front edge of the vent ramps still to be cut back to increase size
_IGP6657.jpg (361.51 KiB) Viewed 23083 times
GC_15
Simon

Post by Simon »

Pressed on today with 'glassing' and blending in the bonnet vents and some reinforcement around the bonnet pin recesses.
The bonnet frame had to be cut, trimmed, and refitted at the back edge of each vent.
The bonnet frame had to be cut, trimmed, and refitted at the back edge of each vent.
IMGP7746.jpg (290.65 KiB) Viewed 23050 times
More, glassing, filling and sanding.
More, glassing, filling and sanding.
IMGP7747.jpg (306.16 KiB) Viewed 23050 times
Nearly there! Filler still to be smoothed off.
Nearly there! Filler still to be smoothed off.
IMGP7749.jpg (263.23 KiB) Viewed 23050 times
GC_15
TomLouwrier

Post by TomLouwrier »

Simon,

This is a very elegant way of adding louvres to the bonnet, using the existing shape of the bulges. Could (should?) have been a factory solution.
Chapeau!

regards
Tom
GC_29
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks Tom. That's the nice thing about not building a true Abarth replica, you can be a bit more creative with it and 'do your own thing'. I managed some more prep. work this afternoon. A coat of polyester spray filler to smooth it all out and fill the pin holes, followed by yet more sanding.
I wasn't entirely happy with the curvature around the smoothed out badge area - it was a bit flat, so had to reshape it
I wasn't entirely happy with the curvature around the smoothed out badge area - it was a bit flat, so had to reshape it
SANY0007.jpg (323.27 KiB) Viewed 22021 times
SANY0009.jpg
SANY0009.jpg (291.71 KiB) Viewed 22021 times
I will still be using the ali bonnet pin recesses but they now have a reinforcing recess to sit in.
I will still be using the ali bonnet pin recesses but they now have a reinforcing recess to sit in.
SANY0017.jpg (292.52 KiB) Viewed 22021 times
SANY0019.jpg
SANY0019.jpg (288.54 KiB) Viewed 22021 times
GC_15
Simon

Post by Simon »

Well, it's been a while since the last update, mainly because there haven't been any, but I made the decision a couple of weeks ago that I just need to get the car running again and worry about the planned engine rebuild later. So today I set about what I thought would be a fairly straightforward job of cleaning various ancillaries up and bolting them back on. But as is the way with things it wasn't quite that simple. Some time ago I had removed the crank pulley to work out a toothed wheel setup for the Megajolt, but I hadn't noticed that the woodruff key had been chewed up and was a bit of a mess, and the front section that locks the pulley was missing. Still, it should only have been a matter of drifting the remains of the old one out, nipping out to my local, usually well stocked motor shop for a new one and putting it all back together...WRONG. The little blighter appeared to have friction welded itself into the crank. I ended up having to release the timing belt, use a puller to wrestle off the drive cog. Then after lots of centre punching, three broken 4mm drills, much cursing and other methods of persuasion later, I finally got the remains of the key free. The trip to the local shop proved fruitless, so a frustrating dash across town ensued through the bank holiday traffic and roadworks (the council have nearly every junction dug up in Leicester at the moment before the financial year end), to try the bearing centre. I arrived just as they were turning the lights off and getting ready to go home, but after some rummaging around the very helpful chap at the counter came up trumps with new woodruff key, and only asked that I put some loose change in the charity tin!

All in all, a very frustrating day and at one point I was convinced the engine would have to come out, but I think I'm back on track again now. I'll attempt to make better progress tomorrow putting the injection system back on.
The offending woodruff key and replacement - Big thanks to The Leicester Bearing Co. for finding a replacement
The offending woodruff key and replacement - Big thanks to The Leicester Bearing Co. for finding a replacement
P3290269.jpg (255.06 KiB) Viewed 21454 times
P3290270.jpg
P3290270.jpg (375.58 KiB) Viewed 21454 times
Attachments
Starting to get back together, cam belt back on, alternator on (but belt a bit long)
Starting to get back together, cam belt back on, alternator on (but belt a bit long)
P3290272.jpg (399.28 KiB) Viewed 21454 times
GC_15
Simon

Post by Simon »

Just a quick update: I spent the weekend generally sorting out wiring looms, cleaning and bolting back on the FI system, and temporarily putting my old 'home brew' ignition system back together in order to get the engine fired up. Finally got it timed in and fired up on Monday afternoon, but it was a bit of a 'hollow victory' since I discovered oil gushing out between the head and block on the front corner where the oil gallery is. So a rebuild is definitely on the cards now. I think I'm going to press on with finishing off getting it into a drivable state and the bodywork and interior finished, then tackle the engine last once I've cleared the garage the remaining junk, and I can create a more conducive environment to engine building.
GC_15
miro-1980

Post by miro-1980 »

Simon wrote:Thanks Tom. That's the nice thing about not building a true Abarth replica, you can be a bit more creative with it and 'do your own thing'. I managed some more prep. work this afternoon. A coat of polyester spray filler to smooth it all out and fill the pin holes, followed by yet more sanding.
Simon,

The vents facing backwards was not the Abarth solution and in fact this was a problem for Abarth.

Your bonnet is great , and in fact I would be very happy to have one like this if you have a spare.

Miro

P : Original Verni car vents , like many other Abarths actually produce the reverse effect of trapping hot air under the bonnet , and making the temp under the bonnet well above what it should be ...
humps .jpg
humps .jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 21393 times
www.Fiat-abarth-rally.com
GC_93
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks Miro, I am quite happy with the look of it, but we'll have to wait until I get it back on the road to see how effective the venting is. Temperature monitoring is my business, so I shouldn't have any excuses for not being able to measure it!

Unfortunately I only made a mould of the original (large bulge) bonnet and created the vented version by modding the GRP replica I made from it. So I don't have a mould to make the vented version directly. It is quite easy to do form a standard GRP bonnet though; just three saw cuts (and one half depth cut to make a 'hinge' on the rear edge) on each bulge, push the 'flaps' down to the desired level, then 'glass them back into place. I think the vent on the exhaust side could be made a bit bigger as there is more clearance, but the injection plenum on the other side limits the vent size. It will be interesting to run some tests with and without the vents covered up.
GC_15