Preparing my Spider 2000 for the Track

Post pics of your car in here
GaryR

Re: Preparing my Spider 2000 for the Track

Post by GaryR »

Simon. The Olio colour scheme does look very nice and I hope you're glad you kept that choice. You're doing a superb restoration considering the amount of room you have in your garage. The photos angles seem to make the inside space of the garage look bigger than what I saw in reality!

Well done!
GaryR. Book #104/500
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks Gary. I did wonder whether the Olio Fiat scheme was a good idea or not but I'm definitely glad I went for it now and I don't think it is going to be a problem for the club road rally events I'll be having a go at - coincidentally it is also our car club's colour scheme. It should all start coming together a bit more once I get all the lamps, seals, windows etc fitted back on, plus the 'essential' set of Super Oscars. Hopefully you'll be seeing more of it out on the drive when delivering my credit card statements!

As for the camera angles, I generally use a very wide angle lens (10-17mm 'fisheye') to fit it all in, hence the curvature on some of the straight lines. Perhaps I should get a job as an estate agent ;-)
GC_15
Simon

Post by Simon »

Last weekend I spent a lot of time rummaging through the various boxes of parts I had stored away to see what was useable and what parts I am missing. I also started on making up some polycarbonate windows and grappled with the rusty window runners and mechanisms. I also did some other fettling jobs like remaking some bonnet hinges as the first set I made didn't give quite the right amount of forward motion to prevent the sides of the bonnet catching on the wings. Then there were other little jobs like rebuilding and testing the wiper motor and mechanism, and pluming in the screen washers ready to refit the scuttle panel.

I now have a week booked off work at the end of June to work on the car, so in preparation for that I been taking measurements, making lists and ordering various bits and bobs to ensure I have the necessary parts to make the most progress in the time.
Drilling out the quaterlight hinges
Drilling out the quaterlight hinges
_IGP0722.jpg (386.83 KiB) Viewed 22301 times
Polycarbonate sheet in place of glass
Polycarbonate sheet in place of glass
_IGP0414.jpg (411.34 KiB) Viewed 22301 times
Using old side window as template
Using old side window as template
_IGP0413.jpg (401.31 KiB) Viewed 22301 times
Rusty runners!
Rusty runners!
_IGP0725.jpg (421.51 KiB) Viewed 22301 times
Bonnet hinges, Take Two.
Bonnet hinges, Take Two.
_IGP0407.jpg (330.18 KiB) Viewed 22301 times
GC_15
Simon

Post by Simon »

Well, the rubber seals I ordered from Woolies arrived today, together with the front indicators and headlight looms from SVC. So this evening I pressed on with things. I had a quick look at the various trims and seals and checked the fit and all seemed good, so it will mostly be a case of cutting them to length and fitting them. I am going to wait until after I have given the paintwork a final cut and polish to avoid getting compound on the rubbers. So I moved on to the front indicators. I hadn't really worked out exactly how I was going to mount these, other than deciding they would go behind the rectangular holes in the front valance. After some messing about with some cardboard templates I decided to make up some ali brackets to mount them. I only had time to finish one side, so I'll have to make the other tomorrow evening.
Bumper bundle of rubber seals - doors, rear window, window channels, boot etc. Also some front headlight looms and indicators (white box)
Bumper bundle of rubber seals - doors, rear window, window channels, boot etc. Also some front headlight looms and indicators (white box)
_IGP1211.jpg (362.94 KiB) Viewed 22274 times
Marking out indicator bracket on 3mm ali. I made a card template first.
Marking out indicator bracket on 3mm ali. I made a card template first.
_IGP1212.jpg (288.26 KiB) Viewed 22274 times
Cut out and folded up. I drilled a couple more 'lightening' holes, more for looks than weight saving!
Cut out and folded up. I drilled a couple more 'lightening' holes, more for looks than weight saving!
_IGP1213.jpg (391.05 KiB) Viewed 22274 times
Hella indicator mounted, and mounting holes drilled and tapped for M4 bolts.
Hella indicator mounted, and mounting holes drilled and tapped for M4 bolts.
_IGP1215.jpg (402.11 KiB) Viewed 22274 times
Drilling holes in my nice new paintwork!
Drilling holes in my nice new paintwork!
_IGP1219.jpg (173.89 KiB) Viewed 22274 times
_IGP1229.jpg
_IGP1229.jpg (210.6 KiB) Viewed 22274 times
_IGP1226.jpg
_IGP1226.jpg (201.06 KiB) Viewed 22274 times
GC_15
Rallyroller

Post by Rallyroller »

Hi Simon

Great work. I am in admiration of the amount of skill and effort you put into this project. Just the time spent on making well engineer brackets etc. Very impressive.

Your progress is much more rapid than mine. It is all the little jobs that take time (ie freeing off all the wiper assembly and spindles!!)

I have 4 mm polycarb for all the windows. How did you fix the quarter light in? Is it fixed or does it move? Can you see any problems with scratching of the windows when they go up and down? Are you using the original rubber seals on the window that “wipe” the glass as it goes up and down?

Keep up the good work. We must meet when you have the car on the road.

Rallyroller
GC_13
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks RR. You're right about the 'little' jobs, it took me over an hour just to get the washer pump wiring working again.

I haven't fixed the quaterlights in yet but intend to bond them in with a polyurethane sealant bead. I junked the opening mechanism and rubber seal then made the new polyc. version to fit the outer frame very closely. So the glass area is a bit bigger overall. For ventilation I will probably fit one of those rotating ball ventilators, but I want to make sure it won't interfere with visibility through to the wing mirrors.

As for the drop glass, I am just going to use the original electric winders (not ridiculously heavy) and weather seal system, as I already have all that stuff and just want to get it all back together again now. I did buy new scraper seals from Spiderpoint as the originals were shot, and I got a length of the flocked window channel seals from Woolies. I am certain the polyc. will scratch when running past the seals but it will have to do for now. I am wondering if facing them with clear window film would avoid that problem? I did think about going for fixed glass and sliders but its an expense I could do without and they're not that practical for everyday use.

Yes, we'll definitely have to sort out a meet once one or both get back on the road. You can aways pop down to Go Motorsport Live at Silverstone where mine will be on the 7th July - probably not roadworthy by then though!
Old and new window scrapers
Old and new window scrapers
_IGP0422.jpg (382.36 KiB) Viewed 23238 times
Sliding in the new scraper seal.
Sliding in the new scraper seal.
_IGP0424.jpg (318.59 KiB) Viewed 23238 times
GC_15
Rallyroller

Post by Rallyroller »

Hi Simon

Ref scratching of the polycarb, I was considering the same thing (window film. ) For me if it lasts a season then it should be ok. As the car will not be left exposed to the elements (ie it wil be in the garage when not competing, I think it should work. My worry is all the mud from stages etc getting caught in the seal. Fixed with sliders is not allowed under the rally regs for the class I am entering. ( only later cars)
I have not looked at the quarter light yet. I will try and retain it as opening as I find it a useful way to get cooling on the stages. ( Dangerous to have the window open. ) I will investigate .

RR
GC_13
Simon

Post by Simon »

I always liked the opening quaterlights too on my Lada's and the Spider, they were great way of controlling ventilation without the annoying draft and noise of a partially opened window. I decided to to go for light and simple this time though with fixed 'glass' with some of those swivelling pop-out vents you can buy.
Possible pop-out vent position
Possible pop-out vent position
_IGP0463.jpg (352.56 KiB) Viewed 23190 times
Some more pics form last weekend's activities which included several hours messing about with window mechanisms, motors and cable drums, various bits of wiring, re-felting window channels, and mocking up a sump guard. The real thing should be here next week.
Re-riveting the quarterlight frame together, smear ow waxoyl on rivet to help stop corrosion.
Re-riveting the quarterlight frame together, smear ow waxoyl on rivet to help stop corrosion.
_IGP0441.jpg (300.2 KiB) Viewed 23190 times
Growing pile of pieces to be refitted.
Growing pile of pieces to be refitted.
_IGP0427.jpg (499.35 KiB) Viewed 23190 times
New window channel 'felts'. I had to use a couple of old carb jets to space the riveter head to reach into the channel.
New window channel 'felts'. I had to use a couple of old carb jets to space the riveter head to reach into the channel.
_IGP0438.jpg (309.41 KiB) Viewed 23190 times
Refreshing the dried up grease in the window motors.
Refreshing the dried up grease in the window motors.
_IGP0451.jpg (484.38 KiB) Viewed 23190 times
Cable drum is a real pain to reassembly whilst getting the cable wound round from both ends properly.
Cable drum is a real pain to reassembly whilst getting the cable wound round from both ends properly.
_IGP0449.jpg (438.15 KiB) Viewed 23190 times
Once I'd worked out which side of pillars the cables should exit I used a cable tie to hold it all in situ until reattached to the door.
Once I'd worked out which side of pillars the cables should exit I used a cable tie to hold it all in situ until reattached to the door.
_IGP0445.jpg (345.51 KiB) Viewed 23190 times
Coffee break whilst making up some looms for the front indicators and side repeaters.
Coffee break whilst making up some looms for the front indicators and side repeaters.
_IGP0454.jpg (458.75 KiB) Viewed 23190 times
Headlight bowls and lamp units refitted
Headlight bowls and lamp units refitted
_IGP0452.jpg (520.12 KiB) Viewed 23190 times
Heatshrink sleeving to keep the moisture out
Heatshrink sleeving to keep the moisture out
_IGP0455.jpg (434.47 KiB) Viewed 23190 times
I ran out of adhesive lined heatshrink so improvised with slivers of hot-melt glue dropped into the sleev e before applying the heatgun.
I ran out of adhesive lined heatshrink so improvised with slivers of hot-melt glue dropped into the sleev e before applying the heatgun.
_IGP0457.jpg (251.66 KiB) Viewed 23190 times
And there was light!
And there was light!
_IGP0456.jpg (445.95 KiB) Viewed 23190 times
High tech multi-layer cardboard composite sump guard!
High tech multi-layer cardboard composite sump guard!
_IGP0434.jpg (379.61 KiB) Viewed 23190 times
Bit of bling to finish!
Bit of bling to finish!
_IGP0430.jpg (346.21 KiB) Viewed 23190 times
GC_15
Simon

Post by Simon »

I took this week off work with the aim of getting the car to ready for the stand on the 7th July, so its been a busy few days, ordering and collecting parts and generally doing various jobs, mostly on the interior.

Here are the pics...
Trimming up the rear screen seal.
Trimming up the rear screen seal.
_IGP1245.jpg (240.51 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
Mitred joint. I'll round off the corner once I have the screen fitted.
Mitred joint. I'll round off the corner once I have the screen fitted.
_IGP1247.jpg (205.9 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
Making up support brackets from 3mm ali for the centre console.
Making up support brackets from 3mm ali for the centre console.
_IGP1250.jpg (316.61 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
I decided to retain the top section of the centre console as it was solved a lot of problems for mounting switches etc.
I decided to retain the top section of the centre console as it was solved a lot of problems for mounting switches etc.
_IGP1251.jpg (338.27 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
_IGP1254.jpg
_IGP1254.jpg (388.35 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
Bending the supports.
Bending the supports.
_IGP1255.jpg (350.52 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
Checking the that both brackets are bent to the same angles.
Checking the that both brackets are bent to the same angles.
_IGP1259.jpg (313.39 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
_IGP1261.jpg
_IGP1261.jpg (240.61 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
New ali panels for the dash centre
New ali panels for the dash centre
_IGP1262.jpg (433.56 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
Another one of the endless little jobs - making up a bracket to support the end of the dash panel due to the extra holes for gauges occupying the original fixings.
Another one of the endless little jobs - making up a bracket to support the end of the dash panel due to the extra holes for gauges occupying the original fixings.
_IGP1267.jpg (227.05 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
Fitting 'nutsert' for console support.
Fitting 'nutsert' for console support.
_IGP1269.jpg (284.33 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
_IGP1270.jpg
_IGP1270.jpg (219.63 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
A few holes for a more 'motorsport' look!
A few holes for a more 'motorsport' look!
_IGP1271.jpg (456.71 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
I hadn't figured on the tunnel not being symmetrical so had to weld on a bracket for the other side!
I hadn't figured on the tunnel not being symmetrical so had to weld on a bracket for the other side!
_IGP1282.jpg (349.82 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
Making a template for some new door cappings - a bit unnecessary but I like a smart interior.
Making a template for some new door cappings - a bit unnecessary but I like a smart interior.
_IGP1283.jpg (220.71 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
Routing up a wooden former for the door capping.
Routing up a wooden former for the door capping.
_IGP1289.jpg (316.14 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
Forming the door capping from ali.
Forming the door capping from ali.
_IGP1292.jpg (266.5 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
Cutting out a new door panel from 1mm CF sheet - an angle grinder was best for this.
Cutting out a new door panel from 1mm CF sheet - an angle grinder was best for this.
_IGP1296.jpg (373.96 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
Trip meter fitted to glove box lid.
Trip meter fitted to glove box lid.
_IGP1304.jpg (308.35 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
Getting there....
Getting there....
_IGP1324.jpg (297.52 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
Attachments
Door capping and CF panel temporarily in place. The door capping will be covered in alcantara to match the dash.
Door capping and CF panel temporarily in place. The door capping will be covered in alcantara to match the dash.
_IGP1311.jpg (331.29 KiB) Viewed 23148 times
GC_15
Will01

Post by Will01 »

Looking very nice indeed
GC_21
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks Will, its been a bit of a hard slog this week but its all starting to come together, although I have had to rush a few jobs just to get them done in time for next week's show.

My carbon/kevlar sump guard arrived this morning, but I ran out of welding gas so have only managed to tack the crossmember mounts and couldn't make up the front crossmember brace/mounts, but it'll be good enough for show purposes if I don't get time in the week to finish it properly. I'll post up some more details when I have it all figured out - it was originally designed for a Mini, but a bit of measuring and discussion with the supplier who offered to cut it to slightly different dimensions and it will do the job nicely. For oil changes you release the crossmember mounts and it hinges down with the front vertical section slotting nicely into the lower grill hole. It will also provide a nice mount for the front number plate.
Carbon/kevlar sump guard
Carbon/kevlar sump guard
_IGP1335.jpg (494.63 KiB) Viewed 22102 times
Working out the mounts
Working out the mounts
_IGP1339.jpg (419.75 KiB) Viewed 22102 times
GC_15
Simon

Post by Simon »

Four days left now until the car is due to be at Silverstone! The aclantara for the console and door cappings turned up today, as well as some aluminium mesh for the front grill. Being back at work I am now restricted to working in the evenings, but managed to get a front grill made up and fitted. I also modified the bonnet hinges into hook shape so that the bonnet is retained and hinges normally but can easily lifted off completely. I've also ordered some new number plates and appropriate Sebring wing mirrors.
Marking out the grill
Marking out the grill
_IGP1349.jpg (464.47 KiB) Viewed 22074 times
Trial fitting. Bonnet hinges reshaped.
Trial fitting. Bonnet hinges reshaped.
_IGP1350.jpg (455.79 KiB) Viewed 22074 times
_IGP1351.jpg
_IGP1351.jpg (399.19 KiB) Viewed 22074 times
_IGP1354.jpg
_IGP1354.jpg (433.31 KiB) Viewed 22074 times
_IGP1359.jpg
_IGP1359.jpg (360.42 KiB) Viewed 22074 times
GC_15
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Fantastic!

This would make a great book!

I admire your skill and craftsman ship very much.

G
Guy Croft, owner
LanciaNut69

Post by LanciaNut69 »

I love this car! Fantastic work, and I agree with Guy, the restoration would make a good book!!

Regards

Darren
Book #435
Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks for the kind words Guy and Darren. It's been a fraught few days on the run up to yesterday's show at Silverstone. By Friday evening I still had tons to do to make the car presentable.
Navigator testing out her seat!
Navigator testing out her seat!
_IGP1346.jpg (269.04 KiB) Viewed 21944 times
Console front panel
Console front panel
_IGP1367.jpg (259.02 KiB) Viewed 21944 times
Console covered in alcantara and switches in place
Console covered in alcantara and switches in place
_IGP1370.jpg (316.23 KiB) Viewed 21944 times
Painting the headlight trims
Painting the headlight trims
_IGP1365.jpg (297.56 KiB) Viewed 21944 times
Saturday was spent zip tying up wiring, fitting the console, bolting in seats and belts, and wet sanding the boot lid and bonnet. Then machine polishing the entire car with two stages of compound. My brother then arrived so I roped him in to putting on a coat of wax whilst I finished lacquering the lower quarter panels and fuel filler flap. The night wore on fitting the quarter panels, door panel and various rubber seals. I decided that there was too much work to complete the door cappings and finally went to bed at 3.30am Sunday, but before I managed to fall asleep the alarm went off at 4.30 to get up again! Have you ever tried loading a car trailer quietly at 5am on a Sunday morning so as not to disturb the neighbours?! Anyway, it was then an easy run down Silverstone to get setup. It was a great event but blazing hot and I was too knackered to even take many pictures. Some pictures...
_IGP1383 (2).jpg
_IGP1383 (2).jpg (553.22 KiB) Viewed 21944 times
Finally on the club stand at Go Motorsport Live
Finally on the club stand at Go Motorsport Live
_IGP1373.jpg (534.85 KiB) Viewed 21944 times
_IGP1374.jpg
_IGP1374.jpg (514.88 KiB) Viewed 21944 times
Next thing will be to redo some of the rushed jobs properly and get it MOT'd.
GC_15