My 70 124 spider

Post pics of your car in here
spiderrey

My 70 124 spider

Post by spiderrey »

GC did the work on the head for this setup. I think I sent it to him about 6 years ago. We built this thing to his fast road specs, and it is fast. Faster then I thought it would be. This thing is a blast to drive. We used a 2 liter block , and mated it to an early 1800 head that Guy worked his magic on. It holds a set of his billet cams, a crank fired ignition supplied thru GC. This thing has lots of torque, enough so that I am running a rearend out of the automatic spider that donated the block. If this picture works out, not to big, I will post a few more. Thanx again.
I think its to big, Ill try and figure out how to make it smaller, sorry guys.
GC_61
70 124 SS
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: My 70 124 spider

Post by Guy Croft »

The picture is absolutely fine Rey and it's great to see you here.

Handsome engine & bay, I have to say!

G
robert kenney

Post by robert kenney »

Very nice!! What induction system are you using??

I always amazes me how truly small the world is. On a forum located in England and I am basically your neighbor here in La Verne right off San Dimas Canyon.

I built a pretty ruthless fast road 2 liter for my sisters Spider a few years ago. Used the original 1800 block and head, stroked it with a 90mm crank and designed my own rods and pistons for it. GC3a cams also. GC has all the best.

Robert Kenney
Robert Kenney # 111
spiderrey

Post by spiderrey »

Id love to learn more about your car, thats what got me to post. I saw your post yesterday and thought, right around the corner and so similar. We need to get together soon.
Its changed somewhat since this. I didnt want to cut the original hood, so I found this one.
Then this.
GC_61
70 124 SS
joro_d

Post by joro_d »

Great looking engine, Rey. It would be really interesting for me if I could see more photos taken on different stages of the engine-building, if you have some.
I am wondering what is your idea of designing the additional bonnet vent?
Regards.
Georgi.
Georgi Dimitrov
spiderrey

Post by spiderrey »

Georgi, Im not sure what you want but here goes. As far as pics of the block being built , I dont have any. I was going thru some stuff and had to have to car move for its own safety. The block build is detailed in GC,s book. It was assembled following his guide for a fast road build. GC actually has lots of pics of the head build, as he did it himself. Along time ago the was actually a thread on this site explaining the build step by step with many great pics. I only wish I saved them before it was taken down.
As far as the finish details on the outside, the cam towers were bead blasted then I cleared them using a clear engine paint. To my surprise it gave them that nice pewter color which was a big unexpected plus.
The bulge in the engine bonnet was needed to clear the air cleaners on the webers. As you can see in the pics they didnt fit under the hood, and I dont like the big double bubble hood from 79 and up. I took a 2ng gen mitsubishi eclipse hood and cut the bulge out. Then I had a friend weld it together. Now I have a hood that will clear my air cleaners. The hood is still waiting for paint. I will try and get a few pics for you.
GC_61
70 124 SS