Fiat 124 Sport Coupe AC 1969

Post pics of your car in here
ace124

Re: Fiat 124 Sport Coupe AC 1969

Post by ace124 »

If you install the 130TC 2.0 L in the AC you will have clearence problems with the bonnet as the block is quite a bit higher.
The solution is lower engine mounts. Im not sure which ones work, maybe someone else can help out here.
Good luck.
Car looks great.
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Post by Abarthnorway - Remi L »

Hi!

Just curious.... have some clearance issues myself

When using lower engine mounts - what about clearance between sump and engine bay crossmember(right word?)?
How much lower mounts are You using?

Best regards

Remi Lovhoiden
GC_45
AtleHaagensen

Post by AtleHaagensen »

Hi all!

Just to clarify why I want a distributorless ignition system: the original distributor will not fit once the "waffle" type inlet manifold is mounted. I don't have any exhaust cam-driven distributor, so I think distributorless ignition is a good alternative. Having looked more closely at MSD's tech-info, it seems I can't use the common 6A/6AL series ignition systems, so I'll have to use a DIS-2, DIS-4 or similar (a bit more expensive though).

As for engine bay alterations, I'm considering molding a fibreglass bonnet with extra space for increased engine height. Will save weight too... :) I can imagine a redesigned sump will be necessary for lowering the engine as an alternative?

Atle.
124 Sport Coupe 1969
Walezy

Post by Walezy »

You may want to use Megasquirt I v.3.0 for controlling ignition, you will have to install trigger wheel like for example 36-1 or 60-2 . It is quite simple to make it run and also not too expensive. Ignition maps can be based only on revs but you can add throttle position sensor for a 3D map(or MAP sensor but for 4 throttles it will not work too well)
Book#378
AtleHaagensen

Post by AtleHaagensen »

Thanks! I'll check it out! :)

Atle.
124 Sport Coupe 1969
Walezy

Post by Walezy »

Later if you get bored with carbs then you can simply put injectors and run injection.
Book#378
AtleHaagensen

Post by AtleHaagensen »

After a long time with nothing happening, I've finally got some progress going...
I'm still missing the brake discs needed to use my upgrade kit from Midwest124, but I've found a dealer and will order as soon as the Mrs allows it... ;) (moving from Stockholm, Sweden, to Oslo, Norway, so economy is restricted and any spill of money not serving our common good will be considered reckless spending... No fun...)
What I've found is good, though:
A 131 Sport (known as 131 Racing here in Norway) gearbox in good, tight working order. :) (very satisfied with that! Those are hard to get these days.)
A Fiat Regatta 100 i.e. head. This has 43,5mm inlet valves and is a reversed-type head. Not shure about the cams that are in it, but apparently the former owner used it in a Strada/Ritmo Abarth (not shure about how he set it up), so hopefully it has Abarth 130 or 125TC cams. The reversed-port style will be great for avoiding the problem with horisontal carbs (or throttle bodies) colliding with the brake master pump (LHD).
I also got an extra oil sump from an 1800 Sport Coupe, to use for my build.
So now the main thing is to strip and inspect the parts, and rebuild with new gaskets.
Further tuning will have to await better economy for now... But being a newly educated chiropractor, I think things will improve well until next year. :)
The goal is to enter the Corsa Italiana Classic Racing cup during summer next year.

I'm currently discussing price on some 132 1800GLS parts: I'm after the rear axle, having heard some rumors that it should contain a LSD, and the front wheel spindles. The front spindles of the 132 apparently gives a 3-4cm lowering of the front end, and should be bolt-on parts, if my sources are not mistaken. We'll see.

Anyway, I'll now have to start the conversion of the 124 chassis to accept the 131 gearbox, and adapting this to fit onto the 130TC engine I have. (Parts available from GCRE, I see) I think I read something about the 124 to 131 gearbox conversion on the forum earlier, so I'll have to search for that...
Attachments
Fiat Regatta 100 i.e. head
Fiat Regatta 100 i.e. head
P1010073.JPG (71.6 KiB) Viewed 8412 times
Fiat 131 Sport/Racing gearbox
Fiat 131 Sport/Racing gearbox
P1010074.JPG (78.06 KiB) Viewed 8412 times
124 Sport Coupe 1969
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »