82 Beta - Body Kit and Volumex

Post pics of your car in here
jazzygeoff

82 Beta - Body Kit and Volumex

Post by jazzygeoff »

Hey Guys,

1st thanks for a great site with tons of info :-)

Well this car has been a family member for the past 25 years. My Gran (95) bought her new in 82 and stopped driving it about 6 years ago lol. So we decided it was about time to sort her out.

So far we have completely redone the body, and a car customize built me a pair of bumpers, those old steel one just don't cut it ;-) Went for a nice two tone with pin stripe and a "Lancia" signature on the side.

But we stay at the bottom of Africa where it's 40 degrees in the shade, so it's like a sauna on a hot day.

Anyway, my mechanic has just decided to be nice and sell me his Volumex engine. So next month we're gonna start converting it from the 1600.

But now I really need some advise, I have the perfect opportunity now to do some work on this engine and I am not to sure what the best $/hp/reliability changes will be.

What I've been thinking so far is.
Lighten flywheel by 30%
Head ported
Cams, not sure if I should change both or just inlet?
Intercooler - Not sure if the volumex will have enough boost for this to work properly. But it does get hot very hot here.

And lastly I've heard of guys changing the chargers gear ratio and putting a smaller gear?

Sorry If I'm being silly and the answers are in the forum already somewhere.
Attachments
lancia.jpg
lancia.jpg (87.94 KiB) Viewed 9491 times
Last edited by jazzygeoff on February 25th, 2008, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzygeoff

Before

Post by jazzygeoff »

Here's a before picture. Dont you just love Lancia blue :P
Attachments
IMG_0284 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0284 (Medium).JPG (102.05 KiB) Viewed 9901 times
jazzygeoff

Re: 82 Beta - Body Kit and Volumex

Post by jazzygeoff »

Here's the engine bay - damn ugly :-)

Just been resprayed, but the panelbeather didn't do the greatest job so going to have to take it back. aagggg

Anyway, so far the new overhauled VX engine is in, using the gearbox from the 1600. There's been a few mods so far, firstly the pully from the blower was rubbing against the chasis, so a lil hammer panllel beating sorted that out, getting a new ignition made up. Had to mount a oil cooler 1600 dont have em :-( and all sorts of other teathing lil mods.

And now also making up a induction kit of some form. Just so so so worried about clearance for the bonnet because the last thing I want to do is have to put a scoop on the bonnet.

lol and here's my lil run around C2 GT, handels like a dream
Attachments
enginebay dirty.jpg
enginebay dirty.jpg (78.63 KiB) Viewed 9493 times
engine in.jpg
engine in.jpg (81.71 KiB) Viewed 9484 times
C2.jpg
C2.jpg (64.73 KiB) Viewed 9475 times
iano

Post by iano »

Hi Geoff,

That's a nice looking Beta you have there, I'm also building a Beta coupe, but unfortunately without the blower....I noticed you are using the 1600 gearbox which is OK - it has a far lower final drive ratio than VX box, but wondered if you are using the 1600 driveshaft/engine mount that runs across the back of the engine?

You must use the 2litre driveshaft/engine mount assembly, otherwise the shaft will not be in perfect line with differential output shaft spline and strip it! The reason is the 2litre crankcase is actually wider as well as taller than the 1600. Afew people in Australia have tried 1800 to 2000 conversions and had this problem.
GC_47
jazzygeoff

Post by jazzygeoff »

Hey,

Alright she's finally moving. I got her back last week to do some test driving over the weekend.

I must say she is going great, a few small problems.

1- Feels like fuel startvation when the car geats quite warm after driving for a while. When changing gears the car putters a lil and I have to rev her up
2- clutch pedal spring is way to soft and get stucks sometimes, then I gotta pull it back out with my toes :-)
3- It heats up very very quick. Normal driving seems fine but as soon as I put my foot down I can basically watch the temp gauge climb. I've had to stop a few times as it actually went into the red.

I've posted a video of my 1st 0-100 test. 7.7 seconds not to bad for a first attempt. (you can hear gear changes are very slow,
Attachments
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 005.jpg (144.75 KiB) Viewed 9018 times
Last edited by jazzygeoff on March 25th, 2008, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzygeoff

Post by jazzygeoff »

Hey,

Video attached. Hope it works :-)
Attachments

[The extension avi has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Earnie

Post by Earnie »

Hi Geoff,
I also own a Beta, the 2.0 L and ahave some spares available. I would like some info on the bumpers if you can help please. Contact me at ernsthenning354@hotmail.com. Nice Betas are scarce and we need to build up a database of these. Kind regards,
Ernst Henning
George, Western Cape