Achieving 2,224.40cc displacement on an 8V lampredi

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
markwnz

Achieving 2,224.40cc displacement on an 8V lampredi

Post by markwnz »

I've read about tuning shops achieving a displacement of 2,224.40cc on the 8V lampredi engine (originally 1995cc), specifically with 85mm pistons, and a 98mm crank. Can anybody tell me which engine these cranks came from?

Many thanks
Kerem1967

Re: Achieving 2,224.40cc displacement on an 8V lampredi

Post by Kerem1967 »

markwnz wrote: August 25th, 2021, 7:20 am I've read about tuning shops achieving a displacement of 2,224.40cc on the 8V lampredi engine (originally 1995cc), specifically with 85mm pistons, and a 98mm crank. Can anybody tell me which engine these cranks came from?

Many thanks
I would think it will be an aftermarket steel crank.
MCJ in Spain I think building interesting engines in that sense.
AFAIK, they are also building reverse port 16v engines due to their race regulations.
GC_90
Wal

Re: Achieving 2,224.40cc displacement on an 8V lampredi

Post by Wal »

markwnz,
interesting information Kerem, thank you.

Just to add my two penneth worth.

There is not a standard Fiat twin cam crank that I am aware that is suitable.

The only ways I can think of for a “stroked” crankshaft are either longer arms on the crankshaft or offset grinding.

For the first, the 2l crank already has the longest stroke (90mm), both the 1600cc and 1800cc are shorter. Don’t know if any of the more modern Fiat engines might provide a suitable donor? Otherwise it would have to be an aftermarket item as Kerem suggests.

For the second you should never grind a standard 2l Fiat crank as it would remove the hardening, though I believe the 1600cc and 1800cc can be. Plus not sure this falls into “standard.”

I’d be interested to know if you do get more information on this, also wonder how long such engines last?

Regards,
Steven