Auxillary timing shaft removal

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Robhi

Auxillary timing shaft removal

Post by Robhi »

I have just taken the cylinder head off my Montecarlo Series 2 to replace the head gasket. This has been done with the engine in the car. Having had better access to the rear of the engine I took off the blanking plate where the mechanical fuel pump would have originally been located to see if I could spot the auxillary shaft and check if the lobe had been removed. I used a rather cheap USB endoscope and think I can identify the end of the shaft which does not appear to have been cut off (and sure enough if I gently rotate the pulley wheel I can get to a point where it meets some light resistance).

It would be good to get auxiallry shaft out and have the lobe cut but looking at the space available in the engine bay I am reluctant to start pulling it apart in case there is not enough room to pull it clear of the inner wing. So just wondering if this is possible or does the engine need to come out of the car?

Any useful hints?

Robert
GC_18
LanciaNut69

Re: Auxillary timing shaft removal

Post by LanciaNut69 »

Dear Robert,

Eric Weston would be able to answer this one for sure, but I believe that he is on holiday at the moment.

It's definitely a worthwhile mod, and I have done it myself for my Monte. I have not tried to remove one with the engine in situ, but you may give yourself enough room by carefully supporting the engine and undoing the right hand engine mount to allow that side of the block to drop. I'm not sure that there would be enough room to get an impact wrench on the pulley nut before the transaxle at the other end fouled the chassis rail, but it would be relative easy to find out!

Good luck and keep us posted!

All the best

Darren
Book #435
Robhi

Post by Robhi »

Darren

Many thanks for your thoughts. Perhaps a simpler starting question should have been 'how long is the aux shaft?'. That would give me a good indication of how tight the space is or isn't. Then I will need to tackle 'the how'.

The more I sit and contemplate it the more I am minded to take the engine out, I can see and think of more advantages of getting a few other items sorted out whilst I have come this far. I also now realise that I had better be patient around such items - I have put in an order for Guy's book which I am hoping will give me better insight into the TC engines.

many thanks

Robert
GC_18
Robhi

Post by Robhi »

I have now removed my engine (found lots of niggles that now make me feel much better to have gone to the effort of taking the whole block out) and can now get an unobstructed view of the end of the auxillary shaft. It does appear that the end of the aux shaft has in fact been cut-off, but not plugged(?)

auxshaft by robhi2012, on Flickr

Striations on cond rod to the right appears to indicate former clash with aux shaft? (if I am interpreting what I am seeing correctly!).

Any thoughts as to how important plugging the oil way is?
GC_18
LanciaNut69

Post by LanciaNut69 »

Hi Robert,

I think you made the right decision by removing the engine. Now that it's out, you can remove the Aux driveshaft and confirm whether it has a plug or not. It does look as if it may have been left off, but you should confirm it by removal and it will give you a chance to renew the gasket and seal at the same time. If the plug is missing then you should tap and fit one.

All the best

Darren
Book #435