Porting Kappa inlet?

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
corriedw

Re: Porting Kappa inlet?

Post by corriedw »

Guy Croft wrote:oooh crikey don't mention diffusers Nik
Seriously - anyone who wants to talk about diffusers in plenums get your own website.
G
I understand Pascals laws do not work in plenums, as there are flow. Everybody seems to prefer a taper, enlarging to the head? Which in my confused mind make sence for NA. But with force feeding, like in hydraulics if the pressure is applied over a larger area, there will be a larger force = more flow? Or is it that due to the shape of the inner bit of manifold that the shape is dictated? Please clarify.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Fair question but strictly speaking P = F/A doesn't apply in this case - charge movement in the inlet tract - since the pressure differential is constantly changing due to change of manifold pressure and clearance volume above the piston.

I am truly sorry but the full explanation you seek will take me a long time to draft as it is pretty complicated, even for me. Another day if you remind me but time is really against me these days.

Suffice to say that with the Kappa inlet you should open up the 2 inches or so adjacent to the cylinder head to as near port area as you can.

G
Guy Croft, owner
Honza
Location: Lomnice nad Popelkou (60 north from Prague), Czech Republic

Post by Honza »

Just one qestion/remark regarding to "Two piece" manifold from coupe/tipo16v etc.

Was it measured also as whole assembly, or just only section which connects to head?
I think that as awhole assembly, it should have significantly worse values(even modified) than unmodified Kappa manifold.
There are many restrictions and places where flow loss can ocurr on that manifold in comparison to Kappa one...

As assembly I think that it should produce something like delta integrale manifold - 125-130cfm ?
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Post pictures please.

I really don't have time to look all this up frommy archives.

G
Guy Croft, owner
Honza
Location: Lomnice nad Popelkou (60 north from Prague), Czech Republic

Post by Honza »

Hello,

I have found only 10 years old , poor quality photo of the Tipo/coupe 16V NA intake manifold assembly

and one comparison photo of kappa vs. Tipo 16v intakes in my thread about my coupe

http://guy-croft.com/download/file.php?id=2618

I can create further photos, I have 2 spare Kappa and Thema VIS intake and some Tipo/Coupe 16v....
Attachments
Dscf1121.jpg
Dscf1121.jpg (33.73 KiB) Viewed 5772 times
Dscf1122.jpg
Dscf1122.jpg (27.91 KiB) Viewed 5772 times