Lancia 8v TC turbo - piston question

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
DeviL

Lancia 8v TC turbo - piston question

Post by DeviL »

Are pistons from Lancia 1.6 8v turbo the same as in 2.0 8v turbo ?

Jakob
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

hi Jakob

There were, for a start, two types of 1600 Turbo, both 'HF' Lancia, one with carb and one fuel injected, the carb version had the earlier non-reversed port head and the FI one had the same reversed port head as used on the 2 liter version (Lancia 8v Integrale, Thema Turbo, Fiat Croma Turbo).
Thus the combustion chamber volumes were different on the two 1600 turbo motors, the 'carb' head had a cc volume of about 53cc and the ie version (from memory) 47cc. Therefore because the engines had different valve train orientation and cc volumes the piston crown designs and valve reliefs were different.

The 2 liter versions were different again, because the engine swept volume was bigger, the piston crown design was re-designed to generate the low CR needed on that bigger engine.

In summary, the 1600/2 liter turbo pistons vary due to head design and engine size.

GC
DeviL

Post by DeviL »

My friend has 1.6 Turbo carb version and he has different pistons (some Abarth version with about CR 8.5:1) from mine which is a 1.6T ie.

So 1.6T ie has different than 2.0T ie?

Maybe you could tell me where could I find cast or forged pistons to my 1.6T ie engine code 831B7.046?
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Forged you can probably buy cheapest from sources in Italy I imagine though I don't know any names, cast OE have been unobtainable for many years for both the Delta Turbo 1600 engines in any size, such a rare car, there was never much available as spares for either, and no use at all using 2 liter turbo ones, the piston bowl/crown design/setup height would be all wrong.

It is a NIGHTMARE getting any kind of genuine cast OE or OE spec oversize pistons for any TC engine. All my TC engines (not, unfortunately that I am asked to do many these days) have to have my forged designs in them.

Don't ever try piston 'swaps' in OE 'standard' size before reading about pistons and bores in the GC Virtual Workshop, the bores and pistons in an original engine are matched to each other and not really interchangeable - get the bore-skirt match wrong and they can seize.

GC
Fahrell

Post by Fahrell »

Here in Brazil, we still have OE for 2.0 TC engine... the only TC engine ever used here...

the OE pistons sold here are all different, even between versions of engine.. the 16v is different from the 8v and both very different from the 8v turbo version...

the 8v turbo piston version is much stronger than the other, have a 8:1 CR and the ring grooves are more spaced.

they are sold at std, .40 and .60 oversizes but the .60 is extremely rare at the shops...

don't know the diameter of the 1600 tc piston/bore, but the 2.0 is 84mm.
Last edited by Fahrell on October 12th, 2006, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andr’‚© Farkatt
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Well done Andre!

I knew there was at least one manufacturer in your country, but could not remember the name.

If you know who makes/sells them put a link in the links section of the website please. You can post it here also.

GC
Fahrell

Post by Fahrell »

Glad to be here in your forum !

The pistons i'm talking about last topic are Fiat/Lancia originals, sold directly from Fiat sellers, I don't know the name of the manufacturer, they come in Fiat/Lancia package with no logos in it, maybe mahle... And don't know if they are newly made or old spare parts still in stock.

I doub't that any of them sells overseas, but I'l try to know more details.

Thanks
Andr’‚© Farkatt