Is my Block now scrap ?

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Farmer

Is my Block now scrap ?

Post by Farmer »

You may remember I'm in the process of rebuilding my 131 Super Mirafiori engine (1.6) Due to poor running and oil pressure failing . I finally got around to prizing the engine out of my Formula 27 sports car, took the head off first today and have noticed what looks like a crack running round the bore of no.3 cylinder. I've not noticed any compression in the water but I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before the crack gets worse and I end up with no 3 piston escaping through the side . Any comments greatly appreciated .
Attachments
P1070112 bore.jpg
P1070112 bore.jpg (130.3 KiB) Viewed 7164 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Is my Block now scrap ?

Post by Guy Croft »

I see some undercutting thru coolant corrosion due to a head gasket failure or leakage some time ago but I don't see a crack, I've never had a TC bore crack but I've seen others and it is always a vertical crack. Don't see one here..

G
Guy Croft, owner
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Thanks for the reply Guy

Ironically I was in our capital city this afternoon for a meeting (plus a rather frustrating, hour long, diversion due to an accident on the main road up through the city centre) My time would have been better served bringing it up for your closer inspection . However if you have never seen a cracked bore like this I have to trust your experience as this is the only TC I've looked at. So what am I looking at here?

I'll show another view here
Attachments
P1070111 crack.jpg
P1070111 crack.jpg (413.7 KiB) Viewed 7064 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

A rebore would prove this out, I have seen the like before (often) - I think it is more likely to be corrosion staining since it is of the shape you would get if water was sitting on top of the piston.

If you rebore you'd best talk to me, OE pistons are not aval anymore - which is one reason all GC units are on forged.

G
Guy Croft, owner
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Thanks Guy

I outlined the erratic diagonal "crack -like " line . Just to be sure, I am not referring to the rusty line at the top , that is most likely caused by the engine standing idle in an un-heated shed for about 12 years between rebuilding it and starting it . condensation I would think. I'll have to take it to my local engine re-bore emporium to see what they say .

Kind regards
Ian
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I say again:

"If you rebore you'd best talk to me, OE pistons are not aval anymore - which is one reason all GC units are on forged..."

If you let anyone loose on it without talking to me first (which is why I run this forum) you will render it scrap.

G
Guy Croft, owner
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Thanks Guy

Duly noted , I'll look at my options and probably try to fit in another trip to the capital , I certainly wasn't suggesting I'd do anything without extreme caution as the engine is now well over 30 and replacing anything is not necessarily straightforward

regards
Ian
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I paid a visit to Twin Cam central yesterday and had a very agreeable chat with Guy , he explained the damage I was concerned about and laid out the options he could offer . Most of these options are sadly beyond my budget, as the indisputably correct, un-compromised, Guy Croft route would easily double my previous investment in my precious car. My investment in the car is Heart and Soul over money , and ingenuity over ultimate ability. I will find a route that suits my compromised budget , whilst also acknowledging the lessons freely and warmly given by Guy.

Thanks for your valuable time and experience .

Ian