Fiat/Lancia ECU tester info wanted

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
samo

Fiat/Lancia ECU tester info wanted

Post by samo »

Hi guys,

i managed to borrow an original Fiat/Lancia tester that I hope will enable me to troubleshoot my ECU issues. The problem is that this are 20 year old testers that nobody uses anymore.

This are old school items that are not software programmable but in fact have the ECU information hard wired into a cassette. Now my problem is that I am unable to find information on which cassette is intended for which ECU. And I have about 30 cassettes!

Also I am not really sure I won't burn something if I miss match the ECU and the cassette. Does anyone have any idea which cassette is the right one for me or does anyone have a cross reference list?
Attachments
Testers.
Testers.
20120920_183538 (Large).jpg (187.47 KiB) Viewed 9981 times
Limited edition #317
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Fiat/Lancia ECU tester info wanted

Post by Guy Croft »

I am very sorry Samo I cannot help with this at all, I have no exp of the system and I do not have an OEM workshop manual for the 8V Integrale.

IF A READER CAN HELP PLEASE DO SO

G
Guy Croft, owner
NickRP

Post by NickRP »

Hi Samo,

Although I don't know suitable cassette number, I believe I have a phone number of a Fiat/Lancia tech that has the very same tester he uses for Integrale diagnostics.

If you want, I could give you his phone number per PM, to discuss all the questions you have. He speaks German and Croatian, and is located in Germany.

Best regards,
Nick
GC_98
rossocorsa

Post by rossocorsa »

Ii had one of these a few years back but I sold it when I sold my delta HPE as it is not much use on Betas, in my experience you shouldn't damage it using the wrong cassette it will simply tell you on the screen that it is not compatible but of course at your own risk etc... I don't think I still have a list of the unit codes but suppose I just might what car are you wanting to test?
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

It's an 8V Int Al

G
Guy Croft, owner
cstorry

Post by cstorry »

Hi Samo

I may be able to help you. We probably need an email conversation to see if I really can help or not.

I don't have an FL tester but I have both an 8V and 16V integrale here in Canada and the cars were never sold here new so no factory support but I have found a way to read the ECUs with a PC cable and some software I cobbled together with the help of stuff on the internet.

If Guy doesn't object I will post my vanity web site address that explains a bit of what I have done
http://www.forzavx.com/gecu/index.html

I don't sell it or make any money from it but just want to share what information others have helped me with.

Unfortunately life has gotten in the way so the web site is not entirely up to date but you get the idea.

Hope its useful
Chuck
cstorry at gmail dot com
Book #037
samo

Post by samo »

Thanks guys,

I am sending you an email Chuck after I study your website!

Nick please PM me the phone number and name of the tech you are telling me about. If you have his email even better!

I am more and more lost about what's happening as the car seems to have an issue with running over 2800 rpm and even that on a gentle throttle as soon as you press the pedal too much it starts jerking badly. The rev counter looks like it's waving goodbye...

As the season is ending it looks like I am not gonna be bored over the winter :(
Limited edition #317
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Thanks to all who have responded to Samo's call for help.

Chuck - link - no problem at all got it on line quicker than waiting for me but thanks for remarking about posting it.

If this works out I would like the outcome to be posted here.

G
Guy Croft, owner
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

Samo,

The module you need for the 8v integrale is M1-C.

Do you have the tutorial cassettes? If not send me a message with your email and I'll forward the manual (if I can find it on my laptop!)

Nik
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

very well done Nik!!

G
Guy Croft, owner
samo

Post by samo »

Thank you for the info Nik!

Also I would like to thank the rest of you that helped or tried to helped... If anyone has a full list of the cassettes let me know :)

Will report about what I find.

Wish me luck,
Samo
Limited edition #317
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

No worries Samo, pleased to help.

I have pretty much a full list for the modules, if you can post what you have I'll try and match them to the models.

Maybe you have some doubles?
samo

Post by samo »

A list of my modules was sent to Nik to check what I actually have.

As far as I can see the M-1C is not on the list... So if anyone has it let me know I am in the market for one!

Best regards,
Samo
Limited edition #317
rossocorsa

Post by rossocorsa »

you could try other modules sometimes if they are a close match they will work up to a point, sorry but it is such a while since I used one that I can't remember properly how it works but I remember that you can override the message on the module somehow. I found my list unfortunately it is not the full model by model list that comes with the kit but the following are listed for weber injection m1-c/ m6-b/ma8-a (this one is Alfa specific)/m19-a/m23-a (this one is for 16v cars such as intergale evo, delta hpe hf, Fiat coupe) the correct module will depend upon the exact spec of your car , as said i don't have that big list as I let it go when I sold the kit.
samo

Post by samo »

Any ideas how the tester can be tricked?

I tried yesterday to connect to a few different cars but I didn't succeed.

Ither I am doing something wrong or my cable is busted. I just looks like there is no communication between the ECU and the tester. Even for the units that I have the right module.
Limited edition #317