The affect of degreasers on rubber parts/gaskets/belts

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Nobby

The affect of degreasers on rubber parts/gaskets/belts

Post by Nobby »

My engine is currently out of the car as I’m getting rid of the whole car (I won’t bore you with the detail – and this isn’t a sales plug). I’m going to give it a really nice clean so it looks a little nicer but I’m worried about that the detergents/solvents might damage have on the parts fitted.

When I first started cleaning things the first to come off was my brake callipers and after a good drenching in degreaser I started dismantling them completely. Having arranged everything into nice trays I then left them a couple of days until I could pop back into the garage. When I went back the brake seals – which were being replaced anyway had ballooned up and were massive!. Since then I’ve made a conscious effort to avoid using the parts washer on anything other than metal parts and one with rubber parts/gasket still fitted have been rinsed down in water/brake cleaner straight after. My workbench has also suffered from a few spills and has bubbled up accordingly.

So, I’m a bit wary of using them on my engine. Will it be ok if I apply the degreaser, leave for say 10 minutes and then wash off? I don’t want to dismantle anything as its in perfect working order and I’m only cleaning it so it looks a bit better. The standard Fiat grey engine block paint has protected it very well!

Many Thanks
Chris
Chris Burgess
GC 01
Nobby

Re: The affect of degreasers on rubber parts/gaskets/belts

Post by Nobby »

NB: Engine is block/sump/head/cams/oil pump/cambelt/tensioners/water pump etc only.

All ancilaries removed, sensors, water pipes/unions.
Chris Burgess
GC 01
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

All engine seals will degrade in any kind of solvent and degreaser. How quick depends how long the solvent is left on and what it's made of.

Gunk eg is quite aggressive, Jizer less so.

Be careful!

G
Guy Croft, owner
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Thanks Guy

Engine is now on a home made stand with a drip tray underneath so I'll get stuck in this weekend.

Chris
Chris Burgess
GC 01